• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Stars Hockey

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K so I'm indiffernt about this right now. Yes, I know we're battling for that last spot in the playoffs. But I mean, there are 15 games to go... and hockey is one of those sports where teams are so close in talent levels that the hottest team in the playoffs usually is the most successful. When the kings won it a few years ago, they were the 8 seed and got hot. So maybe we can afford to play really shitty for 5-6 games in a row and just pray that phoenix has some bad losses in there. Then, when we're hot, its the perfect timing and maybe we actually make it past the first round against st. louis or whoever.

The Kings were far from a typical 8th seed. They were playing with their dingy's most of the season and were able to get hot and grab that last playoff spot and we know what happened after that. That team was stacked full of great talent and were expected to be one of the better/best teams in the league that year. The 2011 Kings and 2014 Stars is not a good comparison.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings were far from a typical 8th seed. They were playing with their dingy's most of the season and were able to get hot and grab that last playoff spot and we know what happened after that. That team was stacked full of great talent and were expected to be one of the better/best teams in the league that year. The 2011 Kings and 2014 Stars is not a good comparison.

True, but it's not unheard of. The Oilers snuck in as an 8 seed in 2006 and didn't have a lot of talent. Roloson got insanely hot for them in net and they rode a hot streak all the way to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. It's very rare, but it is possible.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think so. The NHL talent levels is a lot different from the NBA or the NFL. Teams are a lot closer together in terms of talent. Its all about who's hot at the right time. If dallas wants to slump right now, but catch fire the last 8 games of the season and sneak in as an 8 seed it might be better off for us

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, in the playoffs a hot goaltender can make all the difference. I don't get too upset with what is going on with the Stars right now. They are very young and have the potential to be a good team 2-3 years down the road.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why we started Thomas tonight, but I haven't been impressed at all. Ellis would shut teams down every once in awhile. We haven't seen that from Thomas, at all. His mobility is terrible.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PHX is winning too so the Stars are about to be 4 points out. I really thought we were going to get to watch them in the playoffs this year. I was hoping the Peverly injury would fuel us, but it's been the opposite.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very little for margin for error at this point or any at all. Still a shot but for me personally I still pretty much had them likely miss the playoffs. They're just far from a finished product but if they get on a streak they could easily recapture that final playoff spot.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why we started Thomas tonight, but I haven't been impressed at all. Ellis would shut teams down every once in awhile. We haven't seen that from Thomas, at all. His mobility is terrible.

Thomas was given the start because he had an excellent track record against Philly and Kari actually struggles with Philly more than any other team, winless against them with almost 4.00 Goals Against and a SV % in the mid-80's.

Not saying I agree with it, but that was the logic behind the decision.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas was given the start because he had an excellent track record against Philly and Kari actually struggles with Philly more than any other team, winless against them with almost 4.00 Goals Against and a SV % in the mid-80's.

Not saying I agree with it, but that was the logic behind the decision.

Oh ok. Thanks for the explanation. I still would've gone with the better goalie, and there's no question who that is.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim has a rough game, and his demeanor is awful. If he allows a goal he yells at the bench about the crappy change. Or when he gets taken out of the game he goes to the bench and throws his helmet as if it was a bad move. I hate his goalie style. He always turns his back to the puck if hes getting up. He gets up way to slow, and puts himself out of position. Or he comes way too far out of the crease to challenge the puck, and when he allows the rebounds that hes been allowing its simply impossible for him to adjust because hes literally 5 feet out of the crease. And for god's sake shave that mustache you ****star.

He has a history though of playing big when the game is big. Not saying all these games aren't, but I think if he has to play the last game and we have to win that game, I bet he's solid.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PHX was up 3-2 with 2 min. to go and lost in OT. They also lost Mike Smith in the 3rd. That could be a huge break for the Stars.

Last edited by a moderator:

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they lost!? i was watching it and turned it off with 5 minutes to go cuz i was getting frustrated. WOW!

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk if this has ever been mentioned, but i absolutely hate our powerplay formations. I feel like we have benn and seguin on the first pp line and we hardly utilize them. Maybe its because I routinely watch caps games (theyre number 1 on the powerplay) but they have 2 lanes of attack. They have ovechkin always sitting on the left side, and he never passes it or even holds it. He just shoots one timers. The other way they attack is that they have a man behind the net and a man right in front of the net. If they can somehow manage to get this guy behind the net the puck, he quickly one time passes it to them an in front, where he just tries to lift the puck. I know it sorta sounds complicated, but I'll look for a video. Its so freakin efficient. Yes, I know that one of the reasons it works so well is that Ovi draws so much attention, but I feel like we could put a good shooter like Benn in his spot and then put a pit bull like Garbutt or Chiasson in front of then net. I'll look for a video...

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I figured out the term for it. Its an inverted umbrella formation apparently. This is how it works:

They have two means of attacking, one on the right side and one on the left (ovechkin). They draw everyone over to the right in order to leave the left open to Ovi. He's their first option because he's the best sniper in the NHL. They draw as many defenders as they can to the right and then find a crease to give it to ovechkin where he one times it in.

The other means is if the defending penalty kill unit is wary of ovechkin and takes away all passing lanes to him. They work the puck to the right point, fake a pass to ovechkin, and quickly pass it to the man behind the net. This man quickly taps it to the man in front of then net and that man just shoots upper corner. Its a tic tac toe type of play. It happens in the blink of an eye. Its incredibly efficient. They complete these two passes and then the shot in a matter of less than 2 seconds.

I just feel like our power play formation is so unproductive. We don't get very great scoring opportunities at all and we even have trouble setting it up (which I know the latter is more of a personnel issue than anything)

Last edited by a moderator:

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must win game today. 2 points. Lets see if the young guys pull through.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice feed, good goal Vern