• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Shooting in Oregon Mall

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's like Chuck Schumer from NY. You never hear from them until the opportunity comes up where they can get their name in the spot light.

You're going to see a lot of political wrangling over this (from both sides) in the next few weeks and the sad part is they will not accomplish a damn thing.

Quite true. It's sad, everytime she's up for re-election she's virtually unopposed. I couldn't even name person running against her last time. I believe this administration wants to go after guns in a bad way. This incident gives them an excuse. It's going to be a long & hard fight.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To try to get us back (stay) on topic, I don't think teachers packing heat is the answer. Also, maybe we should add mental detectors to the already existing metal detectors.

Just my 2 cents.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To try to get us back (stay) on topic, I don't think teachers packing heat is the answer. Also, maybe we should add mental detectors to the already existing metal detectors.

Just my 2 cents.

Metal detectors in elementary schools is a bit much for me. I know they do it in high schools throughout the U.S.. I don't think teachers should be toting guns either. All it takes is one teacher to go off the deep end & start shooting their students. The person who did this was 20 years old. This wasn't a kid who was sick & tired of being bullied. This was an adult with a mental problem.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I'm not sure teachers packing is the solution dash. It's just a shame we need to talk about how to protect our little ones when they go to school. It's enough to make me sick.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk of gun control is going to nothing but irritate rednecks and appease tree huggers. Is it really all that hard to see where the root problem lies?

This is not something that is going to be solved overnight. Nor is it going to be solved with one bill. There needs to be more funding put towards research into mental illness and what causes people to feel and act the way they do.

I have a younger step brother who used to act exactly the way the author portrayed her child in I am Adam Lanza's Mother.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk of gun control is going to nothing but irritate rednecks and appease tree huggers. Is it really all that hard to see where the root problem lies?

I think there is middle ground between those two - hell, we've found some just in this thread.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is not something that is going to be solved overnight. Nor is it going to be solved with one bill. There needs to be more funding put towards research into mental illness and what causes people to feel and act the way they do.

I have a younger step brother who used to act exactly the way the author portrayed her child in I am Adam Lanza's Mother.

True but how and where do you draw the line? There is so much protection with HiPPA laws even if the "experts" see the signs they need to be careful of what they say. This was apparent in the movie theater shooting in Colorado.

Some signs were there but if they are brought out the doctors face finding themselves in court. It's a catch 22.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is middle ground between those two - hell, we've found some just in this thread.

True eloco the sad thing is it seems like we could solve this or at least make progress better than congress will. The politicians will follow the money of their special interest groups.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the end game in this? Diane Feinstein is the first lawmaker to say they're going to go after guns with a bill. She's a Senator who's been in office for 20+ years from California.

She's going after all semi-autos, which isn't ever going to happen as much as people like me might want it to, but I understand if she's doing the "ask for a lot to get a little when we meet in the middle" thing.

I think things that are both reasonable AND possible would include (in no particular order):

• Assault weapons restrictions and possibly (hopefully) bans.
  • Something that allows people easier access to mental health treatment.
  • Increase of background checks, licensing exams and mental health screenings (hopefully with yearly renewal)
  • Close the gunshow loophole.

I'm not confident I'll see any of them pass, but even 1 out of 4 would be progress in my eyes.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just hate how this tragedy is being used as a launch pad for lobbyists and the like.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's going after all semi-autos, which isn't ever going to happen as much as people like me might want it to, but I understand if she's doing the "ask for a lot to get a little when we meet in the middle" thing.

I think things that are both reasonable AND possible would include (in no particular order):

• Assault weapons restrictions and possibly (hopefully) bans.
  • Something that allows people easier access to mental health treatment.
    [*]Increase of background checks, licensing exams and mental health
    screenings (hopefully with yearly renewal)
  • Close the gunshow loophole.

I'm not confident I'll see any of them pass, but even 1 out of 4 would be progress in my eyes.

I don't disagree but look at my post 647. Easier said than done.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True eloco the sad thing is it seems like we could solve this or at least make progress better than congress will. The politicians will follow the money of their special interest groups.

I don't even think it's that so much as (1) the media environment right now does not allow for reasonable discussion and (2) the group we have here is more intelligent and more reasonable than your average Americans.

But certainly the NRA has had A LOT of pull over the years, which is why I still think 100% publicly financed campaigns is the way to go. I don't think the NRA is going to have much pull in the next few weeks, but we'll see if anything will happen.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate how this tragedy is being used as a launch pad for lobbyists and the like.

Nothing wrong with it if it leads to positive change. Most people have tragedy heaped upon them without any meaning. If something good came out of it, at least it makes the deaths of innocent people more meaningful.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Public health officials can override HIPAA in the event of a threat to public safety. This was meant to stop infectious disease spread but the verbiage is loose for a reason. The legislation is there, now how do you implement it. I would call this a public safety issue for sure. It is going to be tough to say who can and who can't purchase a gun. Claustrophobia and social anxiety are mental illnesses. Does Billy's fear of giving speeches mean he shouldn't be able to buy a gun?

It is a tough thing to work through for sure.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also realize my examples are extreme, but common. However, the range and measure of "mental illness" is not well defined like "infected/exposed" and not is.

True, It's like what is the definition of ****ographic material? You can ask 10 people and get 6 or 7 different answers.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. I think banning assault weapons and closing the gun show loophole are both much more tangible solutions.

could you tell me what you define as the gun show loophole?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we have a go to contact person that we can report someone as being "fucking crazy" to? If enough people report that person then maybe you can look into it? Hey 18 people have called the hotline to mention they think the kid that kills small animals down the block might have a problem, boom they can look to see what his deal is and find out he's been purchasing large amounts of fertilizer.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't want teachers armed, but I would like to see budgets redone to allow for more school police officers. Yes, we all hated them, but knowing that there is at least one person in the school that could shoot back might be a deterrent.