• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Ritari's 2nd Annual SportsHoopla Fantasy Hockey

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gratz Ritari. I'm just glad that my not setting the lineups didn't cost me the match (5-6-2 if I had vs. 5-8-0). Would have been piiiiiiiiissed at myself had that been the thing that killed me.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Matchup Vadered! Really close all the way down to the wire.

Good luck this week Eloco in league 1 and good luck Mav in league 2.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I fully expect a rant from Maverick on the proper way to play fantasy hockey, let me note an important fact about our semi-final matchup.

Mav will say I had 15 more player starts than him. Heck, he already has. What he won't mention is that he lost 9 starts (60% of that advantage) from guys that were injured on his roster over the first week of this matchup - guys he could have dropped to pick up productive, healthy players. If he takes even one of those injured guys out of his lineup (I mean, Tlusty was borderline at best to begin with), then he probably wins the shots category and maybe goes to the finals.

Tough break, but totally within your control, Mav. Was a close one as usual and congrats on a good season and a good semi-final match. I understand you were on vacation, but that's really not my fault or concern. I worked 80 hours last week. It only takes a couple minutes a day to set your team and make any changes you want.

If you want to slam and insult me, go ahead. If you want to congratulate me, that's your option as well. I don't really care either way.

Congrats to you on a good season. You're a heck of a fantasy hockey player, but I can't say I enjoyed your company or attitude. Best of luck to you.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW!!

It couldn't possibly have been any closer.

I lost the Goal category by 1.
I lost the Shots category by 1.
I lost the GAA category by .005.
I lost the PPG category by 1.

Maverick beat me 7-6 by those slim margins.

Congrats Maverick. Good Luck to you & Ritari in the Finals!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I fully expect a rant from Maverick on the proper way to play fantasy hockey, let me note an important fact about our semi-final matchup.

Mav will say I had 15 more player starts than him. Heck, he already has. What he won't mention is that he lost 9 starts (60% of that advantage) from guys that were injured on his roster over the first week of this matchup - guys he could have dropped to pick up productive, healthy players. If he takes even one of those injured guys out of his lineup (I mean, Tlusty was borderline at best to begin with), then he probably wins the shots category and maybe goes to the finals.

Tough break, but totally within your control, Mav. Was a close one as usual and congrats on a good season and a good semi-final match. I understand you were on vacation, but that's really not my fault or concern. I worked 80 hours last week. It only takes a couple minutes a day to set your team and make any changes you want.

If you want to slam and insult me, go ahead. If you want to congratulate me, that's your option as well. I don't really care either way.

Congrats to you on a good season. You're a heck of a fantasy hockey player, but I can't say I enjoyed your company or attitude. Best of luck to you.

With all do respect, the fact that I started a couple injured players here and there early on is meaningless. Franzen has been out since the 14th and you've kept dressing him.

We don't control injuries anyway. They are inevitable. What we can (but shouldn't be able to) control is how many starts our team has at the end of a round and here's where you decided you'd trump me to increase your odds.

Not all moves are created equal in fantasy hockey. Some people drop a guy because he's injured, slumping or they think someone else is better. That is common and accepted, as those are all legitimate reasons.

Repeatedly dropping a player that is not playing that night for the sole purpose of picking up another that is, just shows a lack of respect for the game and everyone in it, especially your opponent. I was going to give you an honest shot at beating me heads up. Your best vs. my best and may the best team win, but you wouldn't have it. You had to have an extra edge.

You spent the entire round dropping players to gain starts.

You did it 18 times, which netted you 18 more starts.

Yes, I started doing this as well, but only because I had to in order to compete. I still held off on intentionally swapping players until days 13 and 14 of a two week round because I quite simply do not believe in it. You were doing it from day 1 right through to the end.

This is the main reason you won the round, not because I missed some starts via injuries as did you.

Those of you who think starts aren't that big a deal (the naive or idiotic), consider the following:

Our teams combined for 678 shots and 68 goals for this round.

I lost the round by THREE shots.

In addition to that, I lost the outright win by ONE PP goal.

You tell me what made the difference. I'll help you out. I made a decision to play the game in an honest way and Eloco made the opposite decision.

As close as the round ended up being, I cannot congratulate you for simply swapping out more players than me, sorry. It's nothing less than a miracle that I even came this close to beating you, all things considered.

Beat Ritari in the finals without bullshitting him like you did me and I'll be happy to give you your due.

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
well i was watching the 1/4 final very closely, as i thought having Crosby come back for my playoffs would have been the difference.
in the end, the right team won the 1/4, as I would have tied Mav 6-6-1, and I'm pretty sure he had the tiebreaker. I would have cleaned up in offensive categories, but my goalies just shat the bed too drastically. ironic, as the goalies were my strong suit all year.
(that's why I was still running my line-up, i was measuring against the match-up i would have been in)
congrats Loco and Rit.

wait a sec... two Caps fans in the finals? and the league manager in both finals?
FIIIIIIIIX!!!!!! :D

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eloco

At the end of the day, if neither of us had started dropping perfectly healthy and productive players for this round, I would've won the round. You know that and I know that. Hell, I think you even owned the fucking tiebreaker against me simply due to the fact that you player swapped your way to beating me 8-4-1 earlier in the season. It's something that should be embarrassing for you, yet you're proud of it. This is why I have zero respect for you.

For whatever reason, DaBoltsNIsles tried to pull the same shit on me while trailing on the very last day despite already seemingly having a 13-10 edge in starts for that day.

I mean what exactly is the point? Anyone can start 12-16 guys every single night and trounce all of their competition.

I've been told it's supposed to be a fun, competitive league and yet you have to fuck someone over before they decide to fuck you over or you lose.

That's fucking interesting...lol

Some of the regular fantasy players on here know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, they have just chosen to stay out of it and remain quiet for whatever reason. Puck, I think you were the one who agreed it was a "dick" move. You're absolutely right and I know you're not the only other owner who feels that way.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i was watching the 1/4 final very closely, as i thought having Crosby come back for my playoffs would have been the difference.
in the end, the right team won the 1/4, as I would have tied Mav 6-6-1, and I'm pretty sure he had the tiebreaker. I would have cleaned up in offensive categories, but my goalies just shat the bed too drastically. ironic, as the goalies were my strong suit all year.
(that's why I was still running my line-up, i was measuring against the match-up i would have been in)
congrats Loco and Rit.

wait a sec... two Caps fans in the finals? and the league manager in both finals?
FIIIIIIIIX!!!!!! :D

Well, the league 1 manager and second seed (Caps fan) sat there and watched the fourth seed (also a Caps fan) make 20 moves (18 of them to gain a start) in just two weeks to narrowly win round 2 against the top seed (Flyers fan), who had decided to just roll his roster and not use the free agent pool as his second bench.

Yeah, it looks pretty bad... :laugh:

Boy, it's a damn shame that those Capitals are going to miss the playoffs this season. They truly have some genuine, honest fans and I'd hate to see them all depressed after getting lit up by the top seed in round 1.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Some of the regular fantasy players on here know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, they have just chosen to stay out of it and remain quiet for whatever reason. Puck, I think you were the one who agreed it was a "dick" move. You're absolutely right and I know you're not the only other owner who feels that way.

yup. it is a dick move to just chase starts. absolutely.

in the playoffs i can see more of a case for it, because lets face it, even though it's a free league, you do what you must to win. that's the nature of the beast.
I strongly considered dropping a bunch of players in my match with Loco as the match was so close going into the last day. I figured it wouldn't be fair to the integrity of the game to drop someone valuable for a warm body (even an injured person like Lecavalier, because he cold shake the balance as a waiver pick-up for someone later down the playoff road when he became healthy). Also, if I drop good players in the 1/4 finals, that makes my team that much weaker going forward. That's also not fair to the integrity of the season. If i win the 1/4s only to get slaughtered in the 1/2's with a weaker line-up isn't very sporting.

My philosophy is, i take pride and ownership in the team I picked and traded for. Those are the guys i want to see carry me through the playoffs. I do understand that others may not see it that way.
if you have a shit team because you missed the draft or whatever (DBNI last year), then yes, you need to scramble to assemble what you can from waivers. and there could be some churn there as the guys you are picking up aren't necessarily keepers. so you chase hot streaks, homestands, easy schedules, etc. it's a lot more work, but it is part of the competitive landscape.

however.... Loco admitted that he wasn't aware of the general courtesy of the game, and he did stop rolling players once the hub-bub around it died down. In his playoff match with me, it wasn't an issue. he had 6 more skater starts than me. no big deal
Honestly, I have a feeling he went back to it in your playoffs (if he did - I haven't looked at the reasoning behind the moves, or the volume for that matter) as it was something that you couldn't seem to let go, even after he had stopped. so yeah it was probably on purpose, but also rather provoked.
as an outsider, i have to admit, that complaining throughout the season got more annoying than the offense itself.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the league 1 manager and second seed (Caps fan) sat there and watched the fourth seed (also a Caps fan) make 20 moves (18 of them to gain a start) in just two weeks to narrowly win round 2 against the top seed (Flyers fan), who had decided to just roll his roster and not use the free agent pool as his second bench.

Yeah, it looks pretty bad... :laugh:

Boy, it's a damn shame that those Capitals are going to miss the playoffs this season. They truly have some genuine, honest fans and I'd hate to see them all depressed after getting lit up by the top seed in round 1.

If you actually honestly believe that...I simply feel sorry for you. Its hard when you feel everyone is out to get you when they aren't.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I haven't exactly said my views on adding and dropping players and let you guys argue about it since basically day hoping it would go away, I'll say them now. Adding and dropping players in the regular season is a bit dickish to me. The playoffs, however, are a different animal and its more fair game. If you rely on soley "Pitch and Ditch" (Fantasy baseball term for dropping and adding spot start pitchers) it won't get you anywhere anyway.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I haven't exactly said my views on adding and dropping players and let you guys argue about it since basically day hoping it would go away, I'll say them now. Adding and dropping players in the regular season is a bit dickish to me. The playoffs, however, are a different animal and its more fair game. If you rely on soley "Pitch and Ditch" (Fantasy baseball term for dropping and adding spot start pitchers) it won't get you anywhere anyway.

I agree. It's the playoffs that means we should go for the W. I waited until the final day to do anything for the most part. It's my fault I lost.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, if neither of us had started dropping perfectly healthy and productive players for this round, I would've won the round. You know that and I know that. Hell, I think you even owned the fucking tiebreaker against me simply due to the fact that you player swapped your way to beating me 8-4-1 earlier in the season. It's something that should be embarrassing for you, yet you're proud of it. This is why I have zero respect for you.

For whatever reason, DaBoltsNIsles tried to pull the same shit on me while trailing on the very last day despite already seemingly having a 13-10 edge in starts for that day.

I mean what exactly is the point? Anyone can start 12-16 guys every single night and trounce all of their competition.

I've been told it's supposed to be a fun, competitive league and yet you have to fuck someone over before they decide to fuck you over or you lose.

That's fucking interesting...lol

Give it a fucking rest already. All season, when you weren't being an arrogant douche, you're a whiny little piss ant. You've disrespected the league and half the owners all year. Unfortunately you got stuck playing a friend of the LF who's "moves" were considered legal.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
however.... Loco admitted that he wasn't aware of the general courtesy of the game, and he did stop rolling players once the hub-bub around it died down. In his playoff match with me, it wasn't an issue. he had 6 more skater starts than me. no big deal

Honestly, I have a feeling he went back to it in your playoffs (if he did - I haven't looked at the reasoning behind the moves, or the volume for that matter) as it was something that you couldn't seem to let go, even after he had stopped. so yeah it was probably on purpose, but also rather provoked.

as an outsider, i have to admit, that complaining throughout the season got more annoying than the offense itself.

Pretty dead on. I don't really care to address Mav's statements b/c they are totally one-sided, he doesn't admit the mistakes he made, he has never acknowledged the positive things my team has actually done (i did have a good draft, btw), and he complained about the way I played LONG, LONG after others RESPECTFULLY made their views known, after the LM made a "ruling" it way okay, and after I had stopped doing it. He complained about Isles' trades, and then participated in them, but he doesn't want to mention that.

Mav fails to understand the way you treat people impacts the way they treat you. What incentive did you give me to show you any respect? Zippy. You harped on everyone's moves constantly. So, within the rules, I gave my team an advantage. One you had the same option to utilize and you ultimately did. The fact you were on vacation and started injured players repeatedly is not my concern.

I didn't roll lines against Puck and I won't against Ritari b/c I respect them. I did against Mav b/c he's been a jerk all year and I really don't care what he thinks. And while others may not like it as well (I know some don't care at all), I bet they like that Mav lost.

Most importantly, those calling into question Ritari as a LM are being ridiculous. He made his views clear WAY back in the early part of the season. Rolling lines to try to win is playing the game and within the rules, whether you respect it or not. If Ritari had punished Mav for rolling lines, you would have a legitimate complaint, but he didn't do that. Calling into question Ritari's motives when he allowed you to do the same makes ZERO sense and is a low class move from a low class guy.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

crying-indian-tear65p1.jpg

The funny thing is I added up my extra starts, and I definitely would have lost shots without them, but still would have won goals by 2, PIMs easily, PPA by 3, still tied for PPG, and I win STP by 1. Without a big lead on the final day, I would have started Rinne and Theo and would have tied you in the wins category to win the match 6-5-2.

And that's not even included the additional 1 or 2 extra starts I would have had from my original players were they not swapped out. Ouch.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty dead on. I don't really care to address Mav's statements b/c they are totally one-sided, he doesn't admit the mistakes he made, he has never acknowledged the positive things my team has actually done (i did have a good draft, btw), and he complained about the way I played LONG, LONG after others RESPECTFULLY made their views known, after the LM made a "ruling" it way okay, and after I had stopped doing it. He complained about Isles' trades, and then participated in them, but he doesn't want to mention that.

Mav fails to understand the way you treat people impacts the way they treat you. What incentive did you give me to show you any respect? Zippy. You harped on everyone's moves constantly. So, within the rules, I gave my team an advantage. One you had the same option to utilize and you ultimately did. The fact you were on vacation and started injured players repeatedly is not my concern.

I didn't roll lines against Puck and I won't against Ritari b/c I respect them. I did against Mav b/c he's been a jerk all year and I really don't care what he thinks. And while others may not like it as well (I know some don't care at all), I bet they like that Mav lost.

Most importantly, those calling into question Ritari as a LM are being ridiculous. He made his views clear WAY back in the early part of the season. Rolling lines to try to win is playing the game and within the rules, whether you respect it or not. If Ritari had punished Mav for rolling lines, you would have a legitimate complaint, but he didn't do that. Calling into question Ritari's motives when he allowed you to do the same makes ZERO sense and is a low class move from a low class guy.

Everything I did was within the rules also, whether you like it or not, but it seems the rules are different depending on who is taking advantage of them. You can whine and defend your moves all you want. YOU were allowed to fuck with Mav, I wasn't. So much for fair treatment of all owners.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I did was within the rules also, whether you like it or not, but it seems the rules are different depending on who is taking advantage of them. You can whine and defend your moves all you want. YOU were allowed to fuck with Mav, I wasn't. So much for fair treatment of all owners.

You still dont understand the difference between playing your matchip and skewing the results of another.