• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: NASA Puts Rover on Mars

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many people hate on space exploration.

i freaking love it. that and sea exploration. so many things we dont have a clue about. its great. which reminds me is this a good time to talk gun control

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alien-Reading-on-Mars--1763.jpg

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i freaking love it. that and sea exploration. so many things we dont have a clue about. its great. which reminds me is this a good time to talk gun control

lol Matt.

Honestly though, I don't understand how so many people have no interest in space and deepwater exploration. Personally I believe there has to be so much we can learn from both that would enhance our own knowledge here on Earth. Space is just awe inspiring, and there is so much here on Earth (deepwater) we haven't even discovered yet. (Put religion on the backburner) With the possibility of discovering our possible true origins be it another planet or what. It's just friggin awesome.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Working the math out, $2.5 billion for 7k jobs is a little under $400,000 a job. The rover is cool and all, but it's not exactly a job creation tool.

I'm pretty sure part of that 2.5 billion was what it cost to create the rover. And this was also over the course of 8 years. So, personally I say the 2.5 billion dollar budget was overly justified. That money was better suited going into NASA than over to Africa for AIDS or inserted into some junkies arm through some bullshit entitlement program.

There is so much to learn from other planets (and deep sea) exploration. The money funding those programs should be greatly increased.

Imagine if we do come into contact with extraterrestrial life. Highly doubt the government would release that though. Assholes.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure part of that 2.5 billion was what it cost to create the rover. And this was also over the course of 8 years. So, personally I say the 2.5 billion dollar budget was overly justified. That money was better suited going into NASA than over to Africa for AIDS or inserted into some junkies arm through some bullshit entitlement program.

There is so much to learn from other planets (and deep sea) exploration. The money funding those programs should be greatly increased.

Imagine if we do come into contact with extraterrestrial life. Highly doubt the government would release that though. Assholes.

I'm not saying it isn't worth it. I'm saying that any jobs it creates are side effects only rather than any sort of major stimulus - as they should be, since it's designed to be a job program. I'm all for SCIENCE!, believe me. Hell, we'll need to branch out to other planets for metals and other resources relatively soon anyway, and this is the sort of thing you want to get a head start on.

Just saying that it's not a job handout program is all.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have GOT to be kidding me. This is the biggest fucking waste of money I've ever seen. Here's the bullet point summary of Curiosity's mission (remember this; it will be important later):
  • Determine Mars's habitability
  • Study its climate and exogeology
  • Collect data for future human missions

First of all, let's start with the cost. We paid 2.5 billion dollars for this. WE PAID 2.5 BILLION DOLLARS FOR THIS. To get this piece of shit to Mars, we spent about $800 for every person in the country. You know what else costs $800? TWO ROUND TRIP PLANE TICKETS TO MARS.

images

So instead of flying over there and looking at it themselves, the scientists decided it'd be more efficient to spend about 2500 times what the average American makes and send a probe into space so it could land back on Earth.

As for the city itself, it's okay, I guess, if you are old. My grandparents lived in Mars before they got older and moved to Ohio, like all old people who don't move to Florida do. It's right off the Pennsylvania turnpike. You can get there with a E-ZPass. But fuck that, NASA wants to send a rover there to explore. Remember that shit I talked to you earlier about? The "goals" of this mission? Here are the answers.

THERE ARE PEOPLE LIVING THERE RIGHT NOW YOU FUCKING MORONS, SO I'D SAY IT'S GOOD TO GO.
    THE CLIMATE IS WHATEVER THE FUCK IT IS IN PITTSBURGH. IF IT IS RAINING IT PITTSBURGH, BETTER GET A FUCKING UMBRELLA.
    THERE'S NO FUCKING POINT GOING THERE NOW, NOT REALLY SURE WHY GOING BACK IS A PRIORITY.

And the politicians wonder why we don't want to give more money to the government.

That was fucking HILARIOUS! Must spread rep, though. :(

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it isn't worth it. I'm saying that any jobs it creates are side effects only rather than any sort of major stimulus - as they should be, since it's designed to be a job program. I'm all for SCIENCE!, believe me. Hell, we'll need to branch out to other planets for metals and other resources relatively soon anyway, and this is the sort of thing you want to get a head start on.

No, definitely not. However I saw a special a few days ago about many job cuts in the NASA program, so I guess the article was just shedding light on the face that this program created many job openings for many people in that field. Not a public job creation project by any means.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You fell into the same trap (IT'S A TARP!) that another commenter posted...much of the $ for the program went into materials and parts, which inherently in that cost is the labor to manufacture those parts. Those private sector jobs aren't being counted in the 7,000 figure.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have GOT to be kidding me. This is the biggest fucking waste of money I've ever seen. Here's the bullet point summary of Curiosity's mission (remember this; it will be important later):

First of all, let's start with the cost. We paid 2.5 billion dollars for this. WE PAID 2.5 BILLION DOLLARS FOR THIS. To get this piece of shit to Mars, we spent about $800 for every person in the country. You know what else costs $800? TWO ROUND TRIP PLANE TICKETS TO MARS.

images

So instead of flying over there and looking at it themselves, the scientists decided it'd be more efficient to spend about 2500 times what the average American makes and send a probe into space so it could land back on Earth.

As for the city itself, it's okay, I guess, if you are old. My grandparents lived in Mars before they got older and moved to Ohio, like all old people who don't move to Florida do. It's right off the Pennsylvania turnpike. You can get there with a E-ZPass. But fuck that, NASA wants to send a rover there to explore. Remember that shit I talked to you earlier about? The "goals" of this mission? Here are the answers.

THERE ARE PEOPLE LIVING THERE RIGHT NOW YOU FUCKING MORONS, SO I'D SAY IT'S GOOD TO GO.
    THE CLIMATE IS WHATEVER THE FUCK IT IS IN PITTSBURGH. IF IT IS RAINING IT PITTSBURGH, BETTER GET A FUCKING UMBRELLA.
    THERE'S NO FUCKING POINT GOING THERE NOW, NOT REALLY SURE WHY GOING BACK IS A PRIORITY.

And the politicians wonder why we don't want to give more money to the government.

There was this show my wife used to watch called Veronica Mars and it was set in Neptune. Spoiler alert, there is life there too. I wonder if well will probe that too.

BTW I'd like to probe Kristen Bell.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before you get to Neptune, you need to pass Ura, Um, Triton I believe.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You fell into the same trap (IT'S A TARP!) that another commenter posted...much of the $ for the program went into materials and parts, which inherently in that cost is the labor to manufacture those parts. Those private sector jobs aren't being counted in the 7,000 figure.

Obviously not, guys. I'm not saying they paid 7000 dudes $400k each and said hey, do whatever you want and they ended up building a Mars probe. Obviously the majority of it went into materials and labor and whatnot, although I'd argue that some of the private sector jobs ARE counted in the 7k number (specifically probably some of the people who manufactured the parts, not so much the raw material providers), and we'll recoup some of that in income taxes and space speeding tickets (going 30,000 miles an hour in a 65 zone is probably a hefty fine), but again, my point is that the purpose of this program was not in any way, shape, or form to provide jobs to the American public. It happens as a consequence of the money being spent, and I'm sure as hell glad it happens, but we didn't spend 2.5 billion to give ten or twenty thousand people jobs for some or all of the next eight years.

We did it because:

Last edited by a moderator:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with you, Vadered. I may have inadvertently lumped you in with others who can't see past the $$$. My bad.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously not, guys. I'm not saying they paid 7000 dudes $400k each and said hey, do whatever you want and they ended up building a Mars probe. Obviously the majority of it went into materials and labor and whatnot, although I'd argue that some of the private sector jobs ARE counted in the 7k number (specifically probably some of the people who manufactured the parts, not so much the raw material providers), and we'll recoup some of that in income taxes and space speeding tickets (going 30,000 miles an hour in a 65 zone is probably a hefty fine), but again, my point is that the purpose of this program was not in any way, shape, or form to provide jobs to the American public. It happens as a consequence of the money being spent, and I'm sure as hell glad it happens, but we didn't spend 2.5 billion to give ten or twenty thousand people jobs for some or all of the next eight years.

Look, if I've learned anything from late night cable television, it's that space aliens are likely to be super sexy blondes unfamiliar with our human lovemaking rituals.

If you don't want any part of that, Vadered, we understand. But no take backs when a busty gal mysteriously shows up in your backyard. You send her to the homes of space program supporters!! ;)

Science!!

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, if I've learned anything from late night cable television, it's that space aliens are likely to be super sexy blondes unfamiliar with our human lovemaking rituals.

If you don't want any part of that, Vadered, we understand. But no take backs when a busty gal mysteriously shows up in your backyard. You send her to the homes of space program supporters!! ;)

Science!!

No, I'm all for space missions and super sexy alien babes. I'm just not in favor of NASA burning 2.5 billion sending probes to towns of 2,000 people near Pittsburgh.

Just seems wasteful, you know?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm all for space missions and super sexy alien babes. I'm just not in favor of NASA burning 2.5 billion sending probes to towns of 2,000 people near Pittsburgh.

Yeah, finding tons of super hot chicks just outside Pittsburgh does seem unlikely. :pout:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flying into outerspace and then back down to Mars, Pennsylvannia does seem a lot like having to stop in Chicago on the way from St Louis to Dallas.