• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: NASA Puts Rover on Mars

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NASA announced that it has discovered the first "circumbinary planet"--a planet orbiting two stars. While the planet's officially called Kepler 16b, astronomers are already referring to it as Tatooine, after the home planet of Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars movies, which also had two suns (NASA even invited John Knoll of Industrial Light and Magic, the special-effects company behind Star Wars, to the announcement).

large.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NASA announced that it has discovered the first "circumbinary planet"--a planet orbiting two stars. While the planet's officially called Kepler 16b, astronomers are already referring to it as Tatooine, after the home planet of Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars movies, which also had two suns (NASA even invited John Knoll of Industrial Light and Magic, the special-effects company behind Star Wars, to the announcement).

large.jpg

That's incredible.

Thanks for that Matt.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
sweet pic. that's a rep! oh, wait.
can I report the post instead?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

large.jpg

Let's finish that warp drive and send a rover there!

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

large.jpg

That is so fucking awesome.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

large.jpg
Can you imagine being on that planet witnessing a solar-solar eclipse? :thumb:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There still is water on Mars. It's just frozen. What's interesting to me is that it all migrated to the caps.

Should have specified, flowing water. Still, this is all fascinating. Can't wait for the next Mars landing so we can get a glimpse into what's under the surface.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There still is water on Mars. It's just frozen. What's interesting to me is that it all migrated to the caps.
It evaporated into the atmosphere and then precipitated as snow/ice to the poles. Once in a permanent solid state, it had nowhere to go. The sun's energy level on Mars probably isn't strong enough to melt/evaporate the polar ice into a liquid/gaseous state. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It evaporated into the atmosphere and then precipitated as snow/ice to the poles. Once in a permanent solid state, it had nowhere to go. The sun's energy level on Mars probably isn't strong enough to melt/evaporate the polar ice into a liquid/gaseous state. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I figured it was either that or some flow issue, but the latter seemed to require too much coincidence. Perhaps we should induce global warming on Mars. :D

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Frozen on Mars? Uh... it's a desert. Deserts are hot. And people think this guy knows stuff about science.

So, on this Tatoon planet, did we find any Ewoks or anything?