• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely looking forward to the next few years when real competition for Tesla comes onto the scene.
The waiting list for the VW ID4 is ridiculous. Even if you had managed to get on the list early, the dealerships are going to gouge the prices like crazy. Local Jaguar dealer is almost 160% of list on their E-SUV. And a half-year wait.

The other big obstacle for me is the fact that I am on the other side of 200 miles of coal country from my family. And while that is only a few trips a year, there is 1 charging station I am aware of in that space. And that's at West Virginia U. About 10 miles outside the stated range of the ID4 from my house.

I am still looking for classics with busted drivetrains as a starting point for an EV conversion. But that waiting list is even longer after you have the car. I saw a late 60s E-type plugged in at Meijer the other day. Renewed my desire for that.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my plan as well, but I'm on borrowed time as it is. In 2020 I was hoping for 2022, now it looks to be more like 2024-2025.

Are you using a standard 15 amp circuit overnight, or did you have your home electric upgraded?
I have the regular 15 in my garage, but it charges real slow (~6 miles of range per hour). But since I'm not driving much, that's not much of an issue.

I also didn't upgrade at home because my work (if/when back to the office) also has free Level 2 (~25 miles per hour), so I figured I'd just be using home charging to top up more than anything.

But really, even if I were commuting, I'd have about 10-12 hours still in the garage each night, which would be plenty for daily driving.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is cool.

I would love to know what the cross platform possibilities exist with that? Like is it only boltable in Ford products? How much of the wiring and control systems are included?

I would love VW or Audi or even Tesla to start selling conversion kits. Right now, the people doing the conversions are using repaired wrecked or broken Tesla drivetrains. I would GLADLY drop 4-5 grand on a new EV drivetrain.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other big obstacle for me is the fact that I am on the other side of 200 miles of coal country from my family. And while that is only a few trips a year, there is 1 charging station I am aware of in that space. And that's at West Virginia U. About 10 miles outside the stated range of the ID4 from my house.
There are definitely others, depending on your exact route, how long you're willing to stop, and how much extra range you actually need.

Even though you probably can't get the car for a while, browsing on Plugshare is a great way to see if your route would be easy.

EDIT: I've browsed WV a lot because my route from Charlotte to Buffalo would take me through WV (77 to 19 to 79). Haven't made the trip yet because of covid though.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to know what the cross platform possibilities exist with that? Like is it only boltable in Ford products? How much of the wiring and control systems are included?

I would love VW or Audi or even Tesla to start selling conversion kits. Right now, the people doing the conversions are using repaired wrecked or broken Tesla drivetrains. I would GLADLY drop 4-5 grand on a new EV drivetrain.
Same here. I imagine if you had the proper fabrication you could drop it on any vehicle but that truly depends on how far you want to go with it. At that point the 5 grand could easily become the same price as a new vehicle.

Interesting tidbit from the article:

Of course, the electric motors aren't the only electric hardware that'll need to be installed—the Mach-E GT's 88.0-kWh battery pack provides the juice.

Curious what the price of the battery pack is?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are definitely others, depending on your exact route, how long you're willing to stop, and how much extra range you actually need.

Even though you probably can't get the car for a while, browsing on Plugshare is a great way to see if your route would be easy.
For instance the 4XE Jeep I noticed most stations didn't have the proper plug for it as of now.
But what Jeep is doing which makes sense they are building charging stations near their off-road trails around the country.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For instance the 4XE Jeep I noticed most stations didn't have the proper plug for it as of now.
But what Jeep is doing which makes sense they are building charging stations near their off-road trails around the country.
The 4XE is compatible with the J-1772 plug type, which is the standard Level 2 public plug type.

It won't be a very fast charge, but good if it's at your work or similar.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4XE is compatible with the J-1772 plug type, which is the standard Level 2 public plug type.

It won't be a very fast charge, but good if it's at your work or similar.
Good point.

One item curious if you are aware since I am going on hearsay. Is never buy the J-1772 conversation adapter plug, so you can use with a Tesla charging station. I heard they don't work and cause your check engine to come on and will need to be serviced.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EDIT: I've browsed WV a lot because my route from Charlotte to Buffalo would take me through WV (77 to 19 to 79). Haven't made the trip yet because of covid though.
Wow. that's a lot more than I saw the last time I checked (admittedly more than a year, maybe two). Thanks for that. I'm impressed that they have developed it that well.

Looks like I could do it with an ID4 on 2 stops with an hour extra time. And enough extra stations that I wouldn't have to worry about the stations being down or full when I get there.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

One item curious if you are aware since I am going on hearsay. Is never buy the J-1772 conversation adapter plug, so you can use with a Tesla charging station. I heard they don't work and cause your check engine to come on and will need to be serviced.
No, haven't heard anything about that, but wouldn't surprise me. I'm not aware that the adapter to go from Tesla to J-1772 is actually made by Tesla or Jeep, so that could be part of the issue if people are buying random adapters off Amazon. Definitely not like buying a cheap phone charger adapter or something with the amount of power flowing through the car adapter.

In the other direction, all Teslas come with a J-1772 to Tesla adapter so that you can use most public stations. They also just put an official CCS Combo (the main DC fast charge standard) to Tesla adapter for sale in South Korea a couple weeks ago, so that will probably make it's way here too eventually.

Unfortunately, we're obviously way behind certain EU/Schengen (I believe both Norway and Switzerland are on board) countries in mandating a standard plug type so everyone can plug in everywhere without a pile of adapters.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turned out it was just a failing fuel pump. Symptoms made me feel like it was going to be timing belt or a piston problem the way the car was shaking with the engine on idle.

I think it's time for an EV, but the choices are still limited.
I got a Tesla about 3 weeks ago now and i absolutely love it. I love not having to stop at the gas station every couple of days and I don’t just mean because of gas prices (though that’s a biggie too). With my daily commute, I had to stop every few days. No more!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a Tesla about 3 weeks ago now and i absolutely love it. I love not having to stop at the gas station every couple of days and I don’t just mean because of gas prices (though that’s a biggie too). With my daily commute, I had to stop every few days. No more!
Hello Mr. Rockefeller! I got an Adobe, they don't have EVs yet.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 hour to game time for my sons hockey team and here are the game officials … nobody :L … coaches from both teams will have to ref … referee shortage because assholes treat them like crap and many didnt come back after no games last year due to covid :L

Anybody wanna make some money ? lol

View attachment 282038
Hah .. it made the news … it’s not all about the abuse but probably a large majority is

Cant remember if I posted it but
E7028AC4-3A51-4848-84AB-2EC596202709.jpeg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some contractor just got hired full time at my company. Their manager sent a welcome email for them to everyone in our department.

Over the last two hours, about 50 people have replied all welcoming this person. Now, some people are replying all to tell people to stop replying all. And now, the contractor is replying all to every person that sent a welcoming or congrats email.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some contractor just got hired full time at my company. Their manager sent a welcome email for them to everyone in our department.

Over the last two hours, about 50 people have replied all welcoming this person. Now, some people are replying all to tell people to stop replying all. And now, the contractor is replying all to every person that sent a welcoming or congrats email.
We had a similar situation where people were doing that and others jumped in thinking they were funny. Threats of termination/suspension put an end to it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do a "Reply All" to an e-mail titled "George Parros doesn't have a freaking clue"

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This got so bad at our company our Outlook admins built in rules to stop the reply all to these types of e-mails.
Also I used to joke when layoffs were coming we know who was being let go:
1. the folks that replied to all.
2. The folks that replied to all telling people to not to reply to all.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cart Narcs as a channel is freaking hilarious.
What drives me nuts are folks that can't put a cart back.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neighbor across the street always hires the sketchiest people to do work on his house or his yardwork, and inevitably they come over to my house trying to sell me the same service. A prime reason why I put on a "No Soliciting" sign on my door.

Today one of them followed my son and daughter nearly into our garage while they were unpacking his car from college. Then he had the balls to knock on my front door, right above the no soliciting sign. I almost released the dog on him.