• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add a story that I was reffing one game and I forgot the score at halftime. I knew it was 3-2, but I couldn't remember which team was winning.

My halftime prayers were answered for a lopsided second half and one team outscored the other 4-1, giving them a 6-4 victory... or a 7-3 victory, who's to say. ;)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Related question... are there youth sports leagues where the parents aren't allowed to watch? That seems like a genius move. Or with very strict speech restrictions like positive thoughts only? I don't know the trends with this but curious what's happening to curb overzealous parents these days. Maybe I'm wrong and it's actually better than it used to be.

Covid ended up being a very good short experiment for that. Spectators/parents werent allowed in arenas. My son got 8 games in last year with no parents in arenas. For him, last year the games didnt seem as intense without people(parents) watching and he felt that wasnt a good thing. Ask a different kid and you might get a different answer:noidea:

The interesting byproduct from covid that we’re seeing this year is less parental involvement. During covid parents got used to dropping their kid off and leaving … and its carried forward to this year .., so maybe thank you covid i guess??? … although less volunteerism isnt great. Covid has really made people reevaluate the things they do in their lives. I liken referees to people who worked in retail/restaurants. They realized they dont really need to put up with shit anymore.

That said,I think it is actually better now than when i played organized sport as a kid. Theres alot of initiatives here like “sportsmanship starts in the stands” for parents. Fewer bad interactions are happening than 20 years ago imo… but when they do, they are all over social media and magnified instantly.

The only time we come across idiot obnoxious parents now it seems is when my sons team plays out in the sticks/rural areas… Where all the backwards jackasses still exist with their red neck ideals :noidea:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time we come across idiot obnoxious parents now it seems is when my sons team plays out in the sticks/rural areas… Where all the backwards jackasses still exist with their red neck ideals
Kind of the same here. Whenever we travel, the situation is much worse. Like we're invading marauders or something. We went to a tourney in Cleveland once and 8 of the 10 teams were Cleveland area teams. When they played each other, it wasn't bad. Whenever either of us 2 Columbus teams played one of the Cleveland teams it was Thunderdome.

There is also one school here whose parents are the absolute WORST. A lot of the kids at that school used to play for me when younger so I know the parents and I don't understand why they lose their minds. They weren't like that in house/travel. As soon as their kid throws on the school jersey they go insane.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of the same here. Whenever we travel, the situation is much worse. Like we're invading foreigners or something. We went to a tourney in Cleveland once and 8 of the 10 teams were Cleveland area teams. When they played each other, it wasn't bad. Whenever either of us 2 Columbus teams played one of the Cleveland teams it was Thunderdome.

There is also one school here whose parents are the absolute WORST. A lot of the kids at that school used to play for me when younger so I know the parents and I don't understand why they lose their minds. They weren't like that in house/travel. As soon as their kid throws on the school jersey they go insane.
Bold is a “fixed it for us”
I may have posted it before but 2 years ago we went to a tournament in the far suburbs here (on the fringe of the sticks). Our team that year was the united nations/ethnically diverse and the greeting they got from the stands as the kids walked in the arena was “what is this? team china?”

Parents were polled this year on what tournaments they wanted to enter and the far suburb/near sticks locations were voted down. No one wants to go out there (ie think phoenix to glendale :thumb: ) and theyve got their own stricter local covid restrictions because the idiots have a lower vax rate. What a surprise huh? lol

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When people park at the door of Target or where ever because they are just running in real quick. Fuck you you are in a parking lot.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kansas City Fucking Chiefs

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time we come across idiot obnoxious parents now it seems is when my sons team plays out in the sticks/rural areas… Where all the backwards jackasses still exist with their red neck ideals :noidea:
Could not disagree with this more. Now, it’s been 4 years since my sons last played travel, but by far the worst parents in my experience were the big city teams, especially from traditional hockey areas…Philly, Boston, Jersey, etc.

but buy far the worst parents I’ve ever encountered were from Ashburn. The shit that would come out of a grown man/woman’s mouth aimed at a 14/15 y/o was just sad and despicable beyond words.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could not disagree with this more. Now, it’s been 4 years since my sons last played travel, but by far the worst parents in my experience were the big city teams, especially from traditional hockey areas…Philly, Boston, Jersey, etc.

but buy far the worst parents I’ve ever encountered were from Ashburn. The shit that would come out of a grown man/woman’s mouth aimed at a 14/15 y/o was just sad and despicable beyond words.
Oh my god, those people. My cousins played for Tri-city for a bit and then Navy later and when those assholes came to town there was always guaranteed to be a bleacher fight. Every time. I never went to a game there, but I can only imagine how awful they were at home.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my god, those people. My cousins played for Tri-city for a bit and then Navy later and when those assholes came to town there was always guaranteed to be a bleacher fight. Every time. I never went to a game there, but I can only imagine how awful they were at home.
Yep. Some of the most disgusting people I’ve ever encountered. I mean we are talking kids hockey here and the shit they’d spew, rooting for kids to get hurt, threatening to go after them after games, etc.

One of the bet things about my son moving up to AAA was never having to deal with those fucks anymore. Sadly, would still see them at some tournaments here and there though.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yah i probably shouldnt tar an entire area but (but i will lol) thats what has been my experience here :noidea: rural teams are less diverse, less accepting, so naturally follows that they are more obnoxious assholes because thats the way they are as people :noidea:

It might be a cdn phenomenon im talking about because we have played teams from seattle and everett (rural-ish) washington and they were both douchey groups.

Our league that covers entire metro vancouver has told member teams to be wary of registering for tournaments outside the region because they might be cancelled because the areas covid rates are above the norm here. Im just glad we dont play any of those teams this year in regular season as im sure their parents would stir shit up when we do proof of vax at arena entrances

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I coached teams in Butler and Allison Park in Baseball and Soccer. It didn't matter if they were the redneck idiots or the parents in the suburbs all were just as bad. And in the tournaments played teams from all over PA, OH, NY, MD and WV. Didn't matter every last one of them thought their kids were the next Willie Mays or Pelle/Beckham.

With that said when I coached Hockey, granted this is going back 15 to 20 yrs I enjoyed that for a few reasons. The Parents couldn't get near the bench and most of them had no freaking clue about hockey except the Penguins existed. Then the ones who did know about hockey either helped out or just enjoyed watching the games.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I coached teams in Butler and Allison Park in Baseball and Soccer. It didn't matter if they were the redneck idiots or the parents in the suburbs all were just as bad. And in the tournaments played teams from all over PA, OH, NY, MD and WV. Didn't matter every last one of them thought their kids were the next Willie Mays or Pelle/Beckham.

With that said when I coached Hockey, granted this is going back 15 to 20 yrs I enjoyed that for a few reasons. The Parents couldn't get near the bench and most of them had no freaking clue about hockey except the Penguins existed. Then the ones who did know about hockey either helped out or just enjoyed watching the games.
Yeah, I did instructional for a few seasons and the kids were great. But the parents? That’s a whole other thing. And not to paint with too broad a brush, but more often than not the parents that were so sure their little Johnny or Suzy was the next OV (it was the DC area) were the moms. I was like lady “relax. He/she is 8 and can’t even stand on skates. He/she ain’t ever gonna see the NHL.”

I wasnt too popular with the MILFs :D

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah i probably shouldnt tar an entire area but (but i will lol) thats what has been my experience here :noidea: rural teams are less diverse, less accepting, so naturally follows that they are more obnoxious assholes because thats the way they are as people :noidea:

It might be a cdn phenomenon im talking about because we have played teams from seattle and everett (rural-ish) washington and they were both douchey groups.

Our league that covers entire metro vancouver has told member teams to be wary of registering for tournaments outside the region because they might be cancelled because the areas covid rates are above the norm here. Im just glad we dont play any of those teams this year in regular season as im sure their parents would stir shit up when we do proof of vax at arena entrances
Yeah, my son’s team one year had three Asian-American kids on it. Not that I believe this is reflective of all people from there, but some of the worst comments that season came at tourney when they played a team from the Montreal area.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I coached baseball for 5-6 years. My best coaching moment came when I told the headmaster of the Sewickley Academy i would gladly switch positions if he’d like to come down and coach and I can sit in the stands and complain incessantly about my sons playing time.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I did instructional for a few seasons and the kids were great. But the parents? That’s a whole other thing. And not to paint with too broad a brush, but more often than not the parents that were so sure their little Johnny or Suzy was the next OV (it was the DC area) were the moms. I was like lady “relax. He/she is 8 and can’t even stand on skates. He/she ain’t ever gonna see the NHL.”

I wasnt too popular with the MILFs :D
One item I remember vividly was once telling the parents of a whole t-ball team, of 5 and 6 yr olds, none of their kids were going to play major league baseball, so get over it and let them have fun. After that, I wasn't that liked of a coach.

Since it was for my younger son, who hated baseball. He only signed up because he saw his older brother play.
Luckily I didn't have to coach at that age group anymore since my son quit playing baseball after that. :D

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I coached baseball for 5-6 years. My best coaching moment came when I told the headmaster of the Sewickley Academy i would gladly switch positions if he’d like to come down and coach and I can sit in the stands and complain incessantly about my sons playing time.
Nothing was worse when the kids tournament teams didn't win a tournament. Then having to explain to the parents that the tournament had nothing to do with the little league world series. :L

On top of the fact, the organization we were in adhered to Pony rules and not Little League rules. That was a major challenge for a lot of parents.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing was worse when the kids tournament teams didn't win a tournament. Then having to explain to the parents that the tournament had nothing to do with the little league world series. :L

On top of the fact, the organization we were in adhered to Pony rules and not Little League rules. That was a major challenge for a lot of parents.

I remember handing out schedules during fall ball and 1/2 of the parents asking “why do we have to drive to (insert any town in Butler county), we live in Sewickley?” Calm down fuckers, the rednecks up north aren’t going to r*pe and murder you at a little league game.

/is it obvious I’m not a huge people person? lol