• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Picked a good time to head to the beach though. Everyone's kid was back at school. There was no one there and the resorts were half the price. Once my kid starts school, that'll be over though and then I'll just be one of the sheep....
my parent used to have us show up for a day or two to meet the teachers, and then go for vacation in September..
They don't really teach anything in the first couple of weeks anyway.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Volkswagen Drops 23% After Admitting Diesel Emissions Cheat

It would probably be in poor taste for me to list this as freaking cool, seeing as how the resale prices on TDI Golfs just went down about 20% and I might just go buy one now.

I figured I'd put it in drives you nuts because the actual mis-calculation/misrepresentation involves ONE GRAM of nitrogen oxide and it is a software fix of about ten minutes which Volkswagen is doing as a recall. It will hurt performance and mileage. A Golf will go from 50MPG to around 48.

Seems kind of stupid to risk so much to lie over 2 MPG...

I am not absolving VW of deliberate deception, but understanding it, acknowledging it, fixing it and taking the lumps is a lot different than building an SUV so bad that you have to run low tire pressure or else it will flip and then the recommended tire pressure causes tires to explode and hundreds of people died. And the company that did that (Ford) tried to hide it for years and never faced any real issue beyond a recall.

The only thing that died from VW Diesels existence is the sales of crap cars from Chevy and Ford.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Volkswagen Drops 23% After Admitting Diesel Emissions Cheat

It would probably be in poor taste for me to list this as freaking cool, seeing as how the resale prices on TDI Golfs just went down about 20% and I might just go buy one now.

I figured I'd put it in drives you nuts because the actual mis-calculation/misrepresentation involves ONE GRAM of nitrogen oxide and it is a software fix of about ten minutes which Volkswagen is doing as a recall. It will hurt performance and mileage. A Golf will go from 50MPG to around 48.

Seems kind of stupid to risk so much to lie over 2 MPG...

I am not absolving VW of deliberate deception, but understanding it, acknowledging it, fixing it and taking the lumps is a lot different than building an SUV so bad that you have to run low tire pressure or else it will flip and then the recommended tire pressure causes tires to explode and hundreds of people died. And the company that did that (Ford) tried to hide it for years and never faced any real issue beyond a recall.

The only thing that died from VW Diesels existence is the sales of crap cars from Chevy and Ford.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most accurately of all, it should probably say "This is what happens when people think the government might stop you from selling your cars in the US for a period of time, or at the very least, force you to go through an extremely expensive recall process. And possibly have to pay out huge settlements to buyers who can no longer legally drive their cars in any state that requires you to pass an emissions inspection or meet federal emissions standards."

/I know that's more than 140 characters.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good time to buy.

He should do one for Exxon and say "this is what it looks like when Americans don't know what you're doing to their environment".
Might want to give it a couple more days. They announced that the issue is much more widespread, and set aside over $7B to cover it. I think that's likely to go up even more, so I doubt the stock is even close to bottoming out yet.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We must have had the one of the few bad VWs. A lot of people I know once they get one, that's all they get for life. My wife's was a piece of junk. Sad because its a car she had always wanted and so when she got the cash its what she got and she was very disappointed.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, weekly reminder; FUCK CANCER

Might want to give it a couple more days. They announced that the issue is much more widespread, and set aside over $7B to cover it. I think that's likely to go up even more, so I doubt the stock is even close to bottoming out yet.

Well, the EPA and the state of California have announced they are randomly sampling every other car maker, so the heat may shift. It went down as low as 23% off and finished down 18% yesterday. Might have bottomed. If there's no major movement today, I will probably do it.

Because when it's realized that even with corrected software it's still in the top five cleanest cars on sale in the US... It'll go right back up.

We must have had the one of the few bad VWs. A lot of people I know once they get one, that's all they get for life. My wife's was a piece of junk. Sad because its a car she had always wanted and so when she got the cash its what she got and she was very disappointed.

It all comes down to where they were assembled, unfortunately. My Passat was built in Wolfsburg and I got to 200K with no mechanical or electrical issues and only got rid of it because things like door mirrors started falling off. A friend got one that was assembled in Brazil and he had electrical problems like you wouldn't believe.

The gap in build quality between Beetles and Golfs built in Canada or Germany and the ones built in Mexico was shocking. They've fixed it somewhat, but there were some really bad ones built for a while. My daughter wanted a Beetle and we finally found one built in Germany and it's a great little car.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because when it's realized that even with corrected software it's still in the top five cleanest cars on sale in the US... It'll go right back up.

if thats true and the below is true then by gawd we are all fucked

The algorithm senses whether the car is in a testing environment by analyzing a variety of data — steering position, speed, duration of engine operation and barometric pressure.

Away from the laboratory, during everyday driving, the cars emit up to 40 times the legally allowed amount of nitrogen oxide, environmental officials said.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the EPA and the state of California have announced they are randomly sampling every other car maker, so the heat may shift. It went down as low as 23% off and finished down 18% yesterday. Might have bottomed. If there's no major movement today, I will probably do it.

Down another 17%+ so far today. Might be the bottom, but it's hard to know. As you say, if it turns out that others were doing it too, it could change things dramatically.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is there a "hitler reacts to the volkswagen scandal" video out yet?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^
man ... I think Hitler is taking this news harder than any other news hes gotten recently :noidea:

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if thats true and the below is true then by gawd we are all fucked

The algorithm senses whether the car is in a testing environment by analyzing a variety of data — steering position, speed, duration of engine operation and barometric pressure.

Away from the laboratory, during everyday driving, the cars emit up to 40 times the legally allowed amount of nitrogen oxide, environmental officials said.

Yeah, that is getting thrown out there a lot, but what they don't tell you is the difference in what VW was cheating and what they are actually putting out is one gram per mile. One gram is 40 times the limit.

Never mind that Trucks over a certain tonnage and tractor trailers do not have the same restrictions.

I saw a thing last night that said that in European Spec, a VW Golf could drive from New York City to Miami and not put out as much raw NOx into the air as a 1 ton pickup truck driving from NYC to DC. How true that is, I am not sure. But considering how American laws get written to benefit whoever paid for them, I would not be surprised.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that is getting thrown out there a lot, but what they don't tell you is the difference in what VW was cheating and what they are actually putting out is one gram per mile. One gram is 40 times the limit.

This is gettin thrown out there alot too