• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish this was made up. Yes, Oregon.

aUkSbSV.jpg

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that everyone seems to be rallying around the idea that we shouldn't say the shooter assholes name and that will solve all the problems. The passion with which people are angry at the media for saying his name is twice what I would hope they would be at how easy it is for an unstable military failure with a history of anti-religion and white supremacy rants to buy 13 guns.

You don't have to stop guns. You just have to stop names.

This worked perfectly in the world of Harry Potter. They had a guy who wreaked havoc but lost his power and the fact that no one would speak his name means he never returned, everyone lived happily ever after and no innocent people ever died again...

I...like both. I hate the infamy we give shooters and the ease of access to weapons. It's amazing to me what lack of rational thought that comes with gun control. The people against it have a few arguments, all of which are so irrational. "DON'T TAKE MY GUNS!" No one is taking your guns. "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Yeah, with guns. And if you make it harder to get them, it helps. "People who want one will find one." Sure, but it'll take longer and cost more. You know how you have to take a test to see if you're fit to drive a car? That's because it's a privilege and we don't want you out there harming others. Why the hell is gun ownership different? I'm always amazed that there isn't a sense of pride with that. You should want others to have to be competent and able to own such a weapon. You want a semi-automatic? Cool, you have to take a very long, rigorous and expensive class to do it. It's a hobby. It's expensive. You know what limiting guns does? Or what banning automatic weapons does? It drives up the price on the black market to such a point that NO ONE will have access to them anyway. It's so freaking simple. I can't handle that we think there's no answer to a problem that doesn't exist to this extent in ANY OTHER COUNTRY.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate how everybody always focuses on the negatives of out gun "problem". But could someone think of the bright side for once? Do you know how much more exciting a trip to the mall or an English literature class is when at any time you might be gunned down or at least forced to take cover? Or going to the movies and seeing a movie in real 3-D! Sure the new Batman movie was OK / Judd Apatow makes decent movies but they pale in the excitement of crawling over your fellow movie goers in an attempt to reach safety. And in an ideal world going to a movie would be super exciting when you are caught in the crossfire between a crazed gunman and other theater goers returning fire.

Hey Australia, fuck you and your gun control laws. Enjoy another boring ass Paul Hogan masterpiece in relative safety. Rubes.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I...like both. I hate the infamy we give shooters and the ease of access to weapons. It's amazing to me what lack of rational thought that comes with gun control. The people against it have a few arguments, all of which are so irrational. "DON'T TAKE MY GUNS!" No one is taking your guns. "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Yeah, with guns. And if you make it harder to get them, it helps. "People who want one will find one." Sure, but it'll take longer and cost more. You know how you have to take a test to see if you're fit to drive a car? That's because it's a privilege and we don't want you out there harming others. Why the hell is gun ownership different? I'm always amazed that there isn't a sense of pride with that. You should want others to have to be competent and able to own such a weapon. You want a semi-automatic? Cool, you have to take a very long, rigorous and expensive class to do it. It's a hobby. It's expensive. You know what limiting guns does? Or what banning automatic weapons does? It drives up the price on the black market to such a point that NO ONE will have access to them anyway. It's so freaking simple. I can't handle that we think there's no answer to a problem that doesn't exist to this extent in ANY OTHER COUNTRY.

Everyone wants to come up with one clean solution, but the solution isn't just one thing. Gun control is part of it. Media is part of it. Heck, just changing our general culture and how we treat each other on an everyday basis is part of it.

But yeah, if the demand on the black market goes up, the price goes up. And it's not just the money price, either. When making deals like that, especially if you're desperate, you're often going to pay in more than just money. Favors, whatever. You've got to be pretty desperate.

But then improving our social programs and economic mobility would also help reduce the number of people who do get that desperate. So that's part of the solution, too.

Decoupling issues might be convenient for talking points, but in terms of solving real life problems, it's an oversimplification which simply doesn't often work.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone wants to come up with one clean solution, but the solution isn't just one thing. Gun control is part of it. Media is part of it. Heck, just changing our general culture and how we treat each other on an everyday basis is part of it.

But yeah, if the demand on the black market goes up, the price goes up. And it's not just the money price, either. When making deals like that, especially if you're desperate, you're often going to pay in more than just money. Favors, whatever. You've got to be pretty desperate.

But then improving our social programs and economic mobility would also help reduce the number of people who do get that desperate. So that's part of the solution, too.

Decoupling issues might be convenient for talking points, but in terms of solving real life problems, it's an oversimplification which simply doesn't often work.

1330dc6f3bc7d8d18d8c22125d12d970.jpg

Whatever happened to that nice young man?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, folks like to fall back on mental health care, and I actually don't think that's part of the solution for gun violence, but it is most certainly something which needs to be addressed better in this country.

We suck at mental health. We're awful at it. And we need to be better, because it's a real issue which causes real problems and really hurts people.

Also, John made a joke in there about graduate students being poor, which is rather appropriate since about half of all graduate students report some sort of mental health problem, and part of that is because we are poor. (The rest is the long hours, pressure to publish, and repeated failures, of course, all of which have definitely taken their toll on me.)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, folks like to fall back on mental health care, and I actually don't think that's part of the solution for gun violence, but it is most certainly something which needs to be addressed better in this country.

We suck at mental health. We're awful at it. And we need to be better, because it's a real issue which causes real problems and really hurts people.

Also, John made a joke in there about graduate students being poor, which is rather appropriate since about half of all graduate students report some sort of mental health problem, and part of that is because we are poor. (The rest is the long hours, pressure to publish, and repeated failures, of course, all of which have definitely taken their toll on me.)

Not to get too deep here, but same. What kept me sane in grad school was having awesome friends going through the same wringer. We had problems at work, we came home and vented to each other. We understood each other. My issue now? I have nothing to work toward. It's a very weird feeling to have accomplished what I set out to do...and that's it. Sure, I work hard at my job and hope that leads to promotions and what not, but...that's...that's it. I guess it's weird to complain about, but man...when you go the first 23 years of your life focused on a very tangible goal, it's odd to no longer have that. It's made me lazy, honestly. My apartment being clean is my new form of accomplishment.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no real need for diesel anymore. Regular gas emissions and mileage are much closer nowadays.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no real need for diesel anymore. Regular gas emissions and mileage are much closer nowadays.

Maybe they were lying about that too!?!

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish I had the time to take a picture.

Seen yesterday spray painted on an old, beat up pickup truck:

"Jesus Chriest is your Savior"

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a Googly Moogly moment, but it was spelled that way on both sides.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a Googly Moogly moment, but it was spelled that way on both sides.

Google Image Search for "chreist":
787f4faff6e0677cd92c205fde4013d2_400x400.jpe

me_small.jpg

dd366e8a7816e3ef82e4debfcbc9986b.jpg

I want to know more.