• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking your gloves and shin pads out of your bag to spray some de-funk on 'em.

And then forgetting to put them back in.

And not realizing it until you get to the rink.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At times my heat hasn't been coming on*. It is usually on but at times will just stop working.

After giving it a few days and after waking up to a 60 degree** house last week we called a repair service at 6:30 am which told us they would be out that morning. At 4pm when the guy showed up the heat was back on and he said he would just be guessing why it turns off so he didn't do anything but assured my wife that someone could be out quickly next time it happened and catch it in inaction!

Friday night I got home to a 59 degree house. We immediately called and there was confusion on the phone and they had no one to send but they told us to call the next day. Heat came back on an hour or so later.

This morning it was off again so I called at 6:30. I was told they would be out in the morning. Then they called to say 1-3, then they called to say 'you're up next!'. Then the tech called and asked if the heat came back on, and when I said yes he told me he might be able to come out tomorrow morning. Nope, not doing that.

So to summarize, 1 day of work missed for each my wife and me, $79 paid for the first visit. And we still have intermittent heat.

*Furnace heat, not 'in the bedroom heat'

** cold shower floor! cold toilet seat!

Purely a guess here since HVAC repairman is not one of my (oh so many) talents.

However, we had a similar situation with one of our units recently, so it could be at least an educated guess. Inside the main air outlet from the system, not too far away from the heating element, there's an overheating sensor. Essentially, it's there to stop the system if something goes wrong and there's a fire risk because the entire unit is overheating. Anyhow, those sensors go bad occasionally, so it could be that your sensor is shutting off your furnace because it thinks it's overheating when it really isn't.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

However, we had a similar situation with one of our units recently, so it could be at least an educated guess. Inside the main air outlet from the system, not too far away from the heating element, there's an overheating sensor. Essentially, it's there to stop the system if something goes wrong and there's a fire risk because the entire unit is overheating. Anyhow, those sensors go bad occasionally, so it could be that your sensor is shutting off your furnace because it thinks it's overheating when it really isn't.

So I'm guessing a new sensor is probably like a $10 part, but it's likely tucked away in a spot where you're looking at 3 hours labo(u)r to get it replaced.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the info. The tech that came out last week and who was supposed to come out yesterday suggested the same thing. He emphasized that if it was working when he was here that he wouldn't know for sure but that's what it sounded like to him. He said that was a cheap thing to try and wanted to do that today. Why he didn't do that last week when he was at our place I don't know. And after being stood up yesterday and missing work we no longer want to deal with him or his company so we are trying someone new. So someone new is coming out tomorrow afternoon.

My recent luck continues! We have a chest freezer in the basement and we spent a decent amount of money filling it up Saturday afternoon, plus in laws sent us an Omaha steaks gift box. I opened the freezer last night and viola - mushy non frozen food.

:L
Oh well, health is decent and my mood is steady.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm guessing a new sensor is probably like a $10 part, but it's likely tucked away in a spot where you're looking at 3 hours labo(u)r to get it replaced.

Sounds about right. He gave us a quote on it, which was about $175, but we didn't do the repair. It's sort of a bonus room with its own unit, so it's not a room that we're in enough to justify the spend, because we know the AC half of the same unit is on its last legs.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info. The tech that came out last week and who was supposed to come out yesterday suggested the same thing. He emphasized that if it was working when he was here that he wouldn't know for sure but that's what it sounded like to him. He said that was a cheap thing to try and wanted to do that today. Why he didn't do that last week when he was at our place I don't know. And after being stood up yesterday and missing work we no longer want to deal with him or his company so we are trying someone new. So someone new is coming out tomorrow afternoon.

My recent luck continues! We have a chest freezer in the basement and we spent a decent amount of money filling it up Saturday afternoon, plus in laws sent us an Omaha steaks gift box. I opened the freezer last night and viola - mushy non frozen food.

I don't know how he knew exactly, but the guy we had used some kind of voltage meter or something and was able to tell that it was the sensor.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how he knew exactly, but the guy we had used some kind of voltage meter or something and was able to tell that it was the sensor.

That makes sense. I have no confidence in the person that looked at ours. The idea of doing nothing and calling back when it stops again was stupid.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fridge in my office occasionally stops working. I put a post-it not on it that says "Sometimes it's enough just to try." It started working again.

It's worth a shot for the freezer, I figure. :noidea:

(We also cleaned some gunk out of the cooling element, which probably had a bigger effect on the fridge working, but I like to think us believing in the fridge is what fixed it.)

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm driving down my highway at about 60mph, and about 400-500 yards in front of me, I see a car waiting to make a right turn. There is NO ONE behind me, but for some reason the individual decides to make a right hand turn in front of me at 5mph when I'm about 100-200 ft away. That new laser weapon used by the Navy recently would be a nice addition to my truck.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed an open hockey sesh with some buds because I couldn't find my left skate :L

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fridge in my office occasionally stops working. I put a post-it not on it that says "Sometimes it's enough just to try." It started working again.

It's worth a shot for the freezer, I figure. :noidea:

(We also cleaned some gunk out of the cooling element, which probably had a bigger effect on the fridge working, but I like to think us believing in the fridge is what fixed it.)
DS is now a Christian Scientist.

Or a Scientologist.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm driving down my highway at about 60mph, and about 400-500 yards in front of me, I see a car waiting to make a right turn. There is NO ONE behind me, but for some reason the individual decides to make a right hand turn in front of me at 5mph when I'm about 100-200 ft away. That new laser weapon used by the Navy recently would be a nice addition to my truck.

People do that to me all the time, but I'm not going 60 mph because I'm on a bicycle. I had to skid to a halt yesterday on my way into work because someone decided to pull out right in front of me. Almost lost control and wrecked because my bike is a little old and wobbly and doesn't handle sudden stops that well. It almost bugs me as much as the people who use the bike lane to wait to pull into the road and don't back up when I get up to them and have to just sit there and wait for them to get their chance to go... :L

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Working on NYE and New Years Day. Weeeeeee! Two a days in the middle of the season just because they don't have classes isn't a good idea, coach.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I fired up the facebooks this morning and see a 4 paragraph rant from my brother in law about how the Sony hack is the final proof that America has fallen beyond repair and that the terrorists have won and it even included a quote from George Bush the younger about 9/11.

A Japanese company didn't protect its intellectual property and our entire country is doomed?

I, apparently, missed something.

Oh, he wants to move to Canada. I am going to suggest Vancouver. You guys will *love* him.