• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Michael Bowie waived

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.

NFL trade rumors --- Bob Condotta mentions that the Seahawks were not happy with the shape Bowie was in when he reported to the team this spring.
It’s worth mentioning that HC Pete Carroll said that the shoulder injury Bowie was dealing with was “significant,” per Brian McIntyre.
Seattle signed veteran RT Eric Winston, so it seems likely that the starting job is his to lose in training camp and the preseason.
Bowie, 22, was a seventh-round pick of the Seahawks last year out of Northeastern State. Last year, Bowie appeared in nine games.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm surprised by this move. I thought that Winston would be penciled in at RT and then Bowie would compete for one of the guard positions. I was very impressed at how Bowie performed in our playoff game against the Saints.

I just hope that our interior run blocking gets better than it seemed to be last season. It seemed like Marshawn had to get a VERY high percentage of his yards after contact because there weren't many holes to run through.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow they really must to been unhappy with how out of shape he was coming into camp, I got to say I was surprised that a player(7th round pick no less) with a golden chance to not even come to camp ready to compete. What a shame.
The Seahawks don't fool around with slackers (Carpentar being the exception) we've seen them cut others for the same reason.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK that one I didn't see coming.... His play must have really suffered for some reason because he was actually doing pretty good last year ....

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow they really must to been unhappy with how out of shape he was coming into camp, I got to say I was surprised that a player(7th round pick no less) with a golden chance to not even come to camp ready to compete. What a shame.
The Seahawks don't fool around with slackers (Carpentar being the exception) we've seen them cut others for the same reason.

Aside from draft position, what really is the difference between Carpenter being lazy and out of shape and Bowie? Is it inconsistent of PC or is there more to the Bowie deal then fat and lazy coming into camp? Someone eluded to him being hurt...that a factor? I can't imagine it being a factor on a 22 yr old....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Aside from draft position, what really is the difference between Carpenter being lazy and out of shape and Bowie? Is it inconsistent of PC or is there more to the Bowie deal then fat and lazy coming into camp? Someone eluded to him being hurt...that a factor? I can't imagine it being a factor on a 22 yr old....

I think were all a little surprised... Pete knows what he wants though, so something must have really stood out that he wasn't happy about....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Hate to say it, but I think the Seahawks feel the need to justify his pick. :L However on the bright side he came to camp in shape for a change, yeah I know...contract year and all. Still a bit of good news.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it, but I think the Seahawks feel the need to justify his pick. :L However on the bright side he came to camp in shape for a change, yeah I know...contract year and all. Still a bit of good news.

I'd give you a thumbs up but I guess I'm not allowed. You answered the question perfectly. Thanks.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carpenter reportedly showed up in very good shape this year.

It's a damn shame about Bowie, but sounds like he was already on thin ice with him showing up that out of shape. He had a solid shot at making the 2014 roster with his 2013 performance. What a waste.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carpenter reportedly showed up in very good shape this year.

It's a damn shame about Bowie, but sounds like he was already on thin ice with him showing up that out of shape. He had a solid shot at making the 2014 roster with his 2013 performance. What a waste.

Regent, but that's what I'm asking...was Bowie on thin ice prior to reporting to camp? It just doesn't make sense....wasn't that guy starting for you guys down the stretch last year?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regent, but that's what I'm asking...was Bowie on thin ice prior to reporting to camp? It just doesn't make sense....wasn't that guy starting for you guys down the stretch last year?

Not after his performance of last year, unless some shit went down this spring nobody knows about.

But what is being said is that he showed up this summer not in the shape the Seahawks had asked of him. For a guy who was a 7th round pick last year, he especially should of showed up in perfect condition considering the chance he's been provided. Instead, he's now likely being replaced by Winston. Oh well.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the addition of Winston and the injury made it an easier decision than it might have been otherwise. Harold mentioned that maybe the reason they never cut Carpenter, despite his issues, was that they wanted to be able to justify the pick, but I'm not so sure about that in this case. The Seahawks, under Schneider and Carroll, haven't exactly been shy about cutting guys who probably would have survived longer on other teams' rosters thanks to their draft status or their prohibitive cap numbers, or both. They've been so good at finding good-to-great players lower in the draft and finding bargains in free agency that they've allowed themselves to take more chances on their higher picks and higher-priced guys than most teams would.

Offensive line has been a problem area dating back to the end of the Holmgren era, because of injuries and picks/signings that just haven't worked out for one reason or another. It's the one position group, thanks to injuries and disappointments, where Schneider and Carroll's approach of taking chances on raw talent early and fortifying it with solid players later hasn't worked out quite as well as it has everywhere else. Maybe if there had been more stability within the position group the last couple of years, Carpenter would have been cut already, but the Hawks have kind of had to take an "all hands on deck" approach to the offensive line and that's given Carpenter more rope than he would have otherwise gotten.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt lack of a better alternative played a role, as did giving a #1 draft pick a bit more latitude then a 7th round pick who was just handed a chance of a life time. Cutting slackers is the norm for Seahawks.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Seahawks and ESPN, Bowie has a shoulder injury that will require surgery. His expected recovery time in four to six months.

So there you go. Maybe he'll be back for 2015 to try to make the team again, but his 2014 season was done due to the severity of the injury.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much to add here but I guess you figured with the Winston signing, it signaled how unsettled they were at RT.

He showed some good things last year, especially in the playoff game against the Saints. Wish him the best and hope he can figure things out

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? I think you know this teams mindset. Right always compete. This guy had the chance of a lifetime, to earn a starting job on the defending superbowl champs after being a 7th round draft pick.........And what did he do? He showed up 30 pounds over weight, leading to him immediately getting hurt.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard on 950 KJR that Curtis Crabtree asked some of the guys at the station "who would be this year's surprise cut?"
He said it would be Bowie, according to Softy.
Last year, Crabtree nailed Winfield as the surprise.
This Crabtree is neither mediocre nor sorry.
It confirms the writing on the wall.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it....you come in to camp out of shape,your gone. It is not easy to repeat, everybody needs the right attitude. Sends a serious message.