• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: MCoy Should Just Shut His Mouth and Go To Work

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will tell you why McCoy needs to shut up.... Not sure it has been mentioned in this thread because I didn't read the whole thing, but McCoy needs to shut up, because he has no room to talk.....

Earlier this year he was on twitter saying some foul shit about his child's mother, and even asking his twitter followers to join in flaming her. Not to mention that earlier this year, he also threw a girl off of his party bus in the middle of a highway. He shouldn't be talking about losing respect for someone. He should be worried about others not losing respect for him for his actions.

<-------- Eagles fan here.

This whole story is being blown way out of proportion though.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to request a bunch of source material on this, because I think it's bullshit. I used this example earlier, but I'll use it again.

You watch a girls' basketball game and one of the girls absolutely dominates. After the game you say "That girl is a beast."

You're out at a club with your boys and one of them is spending a lot of time with a particular girl. You say to him "That girl is a beast."

Both uses of the term "beast" reinforce the same things on a subconscious level? I would think the first girl would be proud to hear it, the second would probably slap you repeatedly.

Also, I wonder how bad white "culture" (pretending for a second that white culture and black culture are things that actually exist" is hurt by the actions of a subset of that culture.
:agree:

The N word is one of the most versatile words in the English language... and I have heard it used 10s of thousands of times in my life... and I bet you 95% of those uses were POSITIVE.

It can mean so many different things...

But again, it comes down to perspective... I remember after I finished playing ball I went to Florida for my Masters degree... I would play pickup ball in the old Florida gym with guys I knew like Willie Jackson, Dan Cross, The Meat Hook, Andrew Declerq, etc..

I got called the N word a thousand times... by black people. I used the N word occasionally ... very selectively. It was part of the culture... but I remember my white friends who were non-athletes would stop by between classes to watch us play... and they would freak out when finished and be like "dude.. you gotta chill or you will get your ass kicked... " because they didn't understand the culture... those guys were ULTRA aggressive and you had to be ultra aggressive back to earn respect.. and that wasn't just physical.. it was emotional as well. And sure, there were fights occasionally... but that was the cost of respect in that crowd.

In fact the only fight I ever got into with someone I really didn't like... and still don't like to this day was Chris "the dickhead" Doering.. .

My point is... this racial shit is out of control... intent is 100x more important than the word itself. And if people want to word to go away, then the black community needs to look in the mirror and lead by example...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

The N word is one of the most versatile words in the English language... and I have heard it used 10s of thousands of times in my life... and I bet you 95% of those uses were POSITIVE.

It can mean so many different things...

But again, it comes down to perspective... I remember after I finished playing ball I went to Florida for my Masters degree... I would play pickup ball in the old Florida gym with guys I knew like Willie Jackson, Dan Cross, The Meat Hook, Andrew Declerq, etc..

I got called the N word a thousand times... by black people. I used the N word occasionally ... very selectively. It was part of the culture... but I remember my white friends who were non-athletes would stop by between classes to watch us play... and they would freak out when finished and be like "dude.. you gotta chill or you will get your ass kicked... " because they didn't understand the culture... those guys were ULTRA aggressive and you had to be ultra aggressive back to earn respect.. and that wasn't just physical.. it was emotional as well. And sure, there were fights occasionally... but that was the cost of respect in that crowd.

In fact the only fight I ever got into with someone I really didn't like... and still don't like to this day was Chris "the dickhead" Doering.. .

My point is... this racial shit is out of control... intent is 100x more important than the word itself. And if people want to word to go away, then the black community needs to look in the mirror and lead by example...

If the other meaning wasn't firmly entrenched in most people's heads, McCoy would not have said what he did. Again, intent doesn't matter when the meaning attached where our understanding of the word is stored is so negative. If it were not, you wouldn't be a rare exception getting away with using it.

And yes, I have black friends who have referred to me using it, and who claim I can say it back to them. But I won't. And there's a reason for that.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you to say what hurts others? When a black man tells his BFF "You my n!&&@" do you think the subject of that comment is hurt by it?

You are making too much sense for JDM. He thinks he is an expert on the subject and if you dont agree, you are just ignorant.

Words are so harmful and they are associated with long history but you find it ok to call an american man of color "Black"? I guess you dont know the long history and why the adjective was established for Blacks.

Black Definition: Dirty, Gloomy, pessimistic, dismal,absence of light, evil, disaster, grim, grotesque, etc..

synonyms: devilish, atrocious, depressing, dingy, sinful, horrible, monstrous, villainous, etc...

Black was another word used for hateful purpose in the History of America!! You should know this being the smartest guy in this thread and an expert on the subject. So, explain to me why you constantly use a word that can be so harmful to men of color and have such a negative psychological impact? Especially knowing how powerful words are??? I think its time to question how much "black/american" history you truly have knowledge of and your expertise...

Last edited by a moderator:

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're arguing out of both sides here.

First, what is "our culture?" It's awfully presumptuous of you to assume that you and I share a culture, nevermind that everyone may.

So your comments about the psychology of words:

only applies to certain words?

I'm not doing your research for you. You made the claim. Defend it. I didn't ask for every source. I asked for a bunch of sources.

To suggest that this word is used is only one way (with both endings) as you did

()

is quite asinine as well. Also, again, this talk about "modern culture" as if there is only one. I would appreciate you convince me that the culture Riley Cooper was a part of when he made his comment is the same culture as Jay Z or Slaughterhouse when they use it.

:10: JDM, you have been OWNED in this thread to say the least...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are making too much sense for JDM. He thinks he is an expert on the subject and if you dont agree, you are just ignorant.

Words are so harmful and they are associated with long history but you find it ok to call an american man of color "Black"? I guess you dont know the long history and why the adjective was established for Blacks.

Black Definition: Dirty, Gloomy, pessimistic, dismal,absence of light, evil, disaster, grim, grotesque, etc..

synonyms: devilish, atrocious, depressing, dingy, sinful, horrible, monstrous, villainous, etc...

Black was another word used for hateful purpose in the History of America!! You should know this being the smartest guy in this thread and an expert on the subject. So, explain to me why you constantly use a word that can be so harmful to men of color and have such a negative psychological impact? Especially knowing how powerful words are??? I think its time to question how much "black/american" history you truly have knowledge of and your expertise...

I know it's impossible to know, but I feel that if everyone on the planet were white, black would still represent a lot of those words, merely from the idea of darkness and the things that can happen in the dark, the color of dirt (for the word dirty), absence of light is gloomy and black, you wouldn't think of pessimism as bright and sunny (and I don't look at optimism as white, per se anyway), evil I suppose could be green but a lot of bad things happen at night, the devil is red not black, and black is for Batman, not just villains.

I understand your point, but I think that there are two ways to get there. One who is racist will get there one way because they think black is bad. One who is not could get there by some other route. And there are those in between. I definitely know there is racism everywhere for all time, it's just that I didn't assign the words to the color and I can't switch the meanings - so while I understand it, I feel helpless in mitigating or fixing it. I don't use that word nor feel that any race is inferior - but I do associate black the color, not the people, to some of those things, because of darkness and night.

I hope I didn't offend or come off as too sensitive to what you said, because I don't think you were saying anything bad, just that things can be interpreted many ways. There are positive black things like Batman, cool military vehicles, Duracell batteries, dogs (though black cats are bad luck, so there you go), cars, etc. To choose the negative ones and link it to race is one explanation out of many. You just can't see bright and shiny out of darkness.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the mention of Duracell batteries was ridiculous, but I think you can see my point?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's impossible to know, but I feel that if everyone on the planet were white, black would still represent a lot of those words, merely from the idea of darkness and the things that can happen in the dark, the color of dirt (for the word dirty), absence of light is gloomy and black, you wouldn't think of pessimism as bright and sunny (and I don't look at optimism as white, per se anyway), evil I suppose could be green but a lot of bad things happen at night, the devil is red not black, and black is for Batman, not just villains.

I understand your point, but I think that there are two ways to get there. One who is racist will get there one way because they think black is bad. One who is not could get there by some other route. And there are those in between. I definitely know there is racism everywhere for all time, it's just that I didn't assign the words to the color and I can't switch the meanings - so while I understand it, I feel helpless in mitigating or fixing it. I don't use that word nor feel that any race is inferior - but I do associate black the color, not the people, to some of those things, because of darkness and night.

I hope I didn't offend or come off as too sensitive to what you said, because I don't think you were saying anything bad, just that things can be interpreted many ways. There are positive black things like Batman, cool military vehicles, Duracell batteries, dogs (though black cats are bad luck, so there you go), cars, etc. To choose the negative ones and link it to race is one explanation out of many. You just can't see bright and shiny out of darkness.

im not offended at all and you have a very valid point. I agree with everything you just posted. You also help me prove my point to JDM. You can take the power out of a word!!

The reason I listed the negative ones were to prove my point to JDM. During the time of slavery, the word black was a substitute for the N word. I have better than a google search or literature source for confirmation. I have relatives who are still alive from those days who would get offended if you called them black because it was a word used to belittle or degrade them. JDM wants to talk about history and psychological impact of words. If he clearly feels it is wrong to "normalize" the usage of a word, then he should practice what he preaches. He has contradicted himself in this thread.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the mention of Duracell batteries was ridiculous, but I think you can see my point?

LOL! yes i surely did

To add to it... Some people say, "I like my coffee black because I need it to be STRONG!". Trust me I dont look at it negative at all but I didnt go through slavery or the abuse of its use either. Black elders use to encourage us to correct people if they call us "black", and request to be referred to as a "*****".

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! yes i surely did

To add to it... Some people say, "I like my coffee black because I need it to be STRONG!". Trust me I dont look at it negative at all but I didnt go through slavery or the abuse of its use either. Black elders use to encourage us to correct people if they call us "black", and request to be referred to as a "*****".

I was typing the list and I looked around my desk and there they were - the Duracell batteries. I thought, I like Energizer too, but these are good batteries. I then added it in. Your coffee example is better. As far as ***** goes, I've never used that term either, but then again, I don't think I've ever called one by anything to their face. I admit, I'll say black sometimes, but African American is common too. Though I know that bugs some because they may be Columbian for all I know or they associate with America, not Africa.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not offended at all and you have a very valid point. I agree with everything you just posted. You also help me prove my point to JDM. You can take the power out of a word!!

The reason I listed the negative ones were to prove my point to JDM. During the time of slavery, the word black was a substitute for the N word. I have better than a google search or literature source for confirmation. I have relatives who are still alive from those days who would get offended if you called them black because it was a word used to belittle or degrade them. JDM wants to talk about history and psychological impact of words. If he clearly feels it is wrong to "normalize" the usage of a word, then he should practice what he preaches. He has contradicted himself in this thread.

Interesting, I always thought that the N word was the worst you could do (out of common insults), so I imagined it was used more in the times of slavery than black. I didn't know there was a bad connotation with calling them black, other than the fact that calling anyone by any color is defining them in a way by the color of their skin.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what? Now calling a black person "black" is racist? :rollseyes:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, I always thought that the N word was the worst you could do (out of common insults), so I imagined it was used more in the times of slavery than black. I didn't know there was a bad connotation with calling them black, other than the fact that calling anyone by any color is defining them in a way by the color of their skin.

Yes, the N word was far worse but it wasnt always the best word for the sentence. Example: I cant stand your black ass!, oppose to, I cant stand your ni**er ass. The latter doesnt sound right. Today, it is just defining someone by the color of skin, well at least for me and you it is.

My mother is native, my father is from Louisiana and his blood line is mixed with African, Creole, and most likely whatever the race the slave owner was that slept with some of my ancestors. So yea, personally I dont feel like I associate with Africa at all. I can tell, you are a pretty good guy so i wouldnt think nothing of it if you were to refer to me as such. On the other hand, you have white guys who refer to black guys as *African-Americans only to distinguish them as inferior Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what? Now calling a black person "black" is racist? :rollseyes:

No it is not. We are discussing the history of the usage of words. The word was originally adopted to belittle and degrade but its modern use is to define someone by skin color. Why dont you read more before replying in such a feminine way?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it is not. We are discussing the history of the usage of words. The word was originally adopted to belittle and degrade but its modern use is to define someone by skin color. Why dont you read more before replying in such a feminine way?

Yeah maybe I should've read the entire thread before posing a question. I always assumed that blacks were labeled as such because of the color of their descendants skin.

Also, don't be such a douchebag when responding. I will research your claim that blacks were first called black due to some sort of racist connotation.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah maybe I should've read the entire thread before posing a question. I always assumed that blacks were labeled as such because of the color of their descendants skin.

Also, don't be such a douchebag when responding. I will research your claim that blacks were first called black due to some sort of racist connotation.

Good advise, I due apologize. It wasn't called for at all. It's not my claim, it the vivid memories and experiences shared by elders. This isn't apart some research I've done on black history

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good advise, I due apologize. It wasn't called for at all. It's not my claim, it the vivid memories and experiences shared by elders. This isn't apart some research I've done on black history

I understand that. I wasn't able to find an actual source that said where it originated other than as a label used to classify race.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as McCoy's comments disrupting the team, I haven't seen it. As a matter of fact, the only fallout from McCoy's comments may have fast-tracked the decision to have Cooper leave the team for the time being. Giving the team a chance to calm down and let things get back to normal...

Y! SPORTS[/QUOTE]

Ya, that whole thing from Cooper about being so disgusted with himself that he needs to seek counseling for what he did cracked me up. I believe this incident happened on June 12th so my question is on June 13then why wasn't he so disgusted with himself that he souhgt help back then? Perhaps he is only disgusted that he got caught. Stand up you effin phoney and admit your bias.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same response I made in a previous post-As far as McCoy's comments disrupting the team, I haven't seen it. As a matter of fact, the only fallout from McCoy's comments may have fast-tracked the decision to have Cooper leave the team for the time being. Giving the team a chance to calm down and let things get back to normal...

Y! SPORTS

And just as ridiculous in this post.