• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: MCoy Should Just Shut His Mouth and Go To Work

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's what I'm seeing from this thread (not the useless Toby / NN parts, the parts worth discussing):

Black people want to be able to use the N word with impunity, and they don't want white people to ever be able to ever use it.

Is that consistent / fair? Not really. Is it a double standard? Yeah. But you know what? I'm not going to pitch a fit about it. I'm fine deferring to a stupid double standard if it gets people to shut the hell up about it. Let 'em have the word and think of a better insult if you get in a pissing contest with a black guy / woman. I don't really need that word in my vocabulary anyway unless I'm quoting Pulp Fiction or Blazing Saddles.

To quote Chris Rock: "Can White people say N***a? The answer? NOT REALLY."

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reaction subconsciously is the same. The actual impact is substantially different. I have made this point repeatedly and you keep claiming otherwise. We're back to your deliberate and repeated changing of what I said to argue my claims, killing what was for a bit a decent discussion. This is my last post in this thread, but I invite you, do the research on how words are processed, how different words with identical meanings have different effects, and hell, maybe a bit about the psychology of racism while you're at it. I can't do give you the whole background you need to discuss this intelligently. If you do so with an open mind, maybe you'll learn something.

I have little tolerance for people twisting and deliberately misinterpreting what I am saying to try to win an argument. I had reasonable discussion with everyone else in this thread, but you repeatedly and consistently are changing what I am typing to make it something else. You don't want the truth here, you want to win. So enjoy that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I'm seeing from this thread; Toby / NN always crates thought-provoking ansd stimulating topics. This one is no different. It is the hottest thread on the board.

I do my best. Thanks.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The reaction subconsciously is the same. The actual impact is substantially different. i have made thsi point repeatedly and you keep claiming otherwise. We're back to your deliberate and repeated changing of what I said to argue my claims, killing what was for a bit a decent discussion. This is my last post in this thread, but I invite you, do the research on how words are processed, how different words with identical meanings have different effects, and hell, maybe a bit about the psychology of racism while you're at it. If you do so with an open mind, maybe you'll learn something.

I have little tolerance for people twisting and deliberately misinterpreting what I am saying to try to win an argument. I had reasonable discussion with everyone else in this thread, but you repeatedly and consistently are changing what I am typing to make it something else. You don't want the truth here, you want to win. So enjoy that. :)

You haven't made any point repeatedly. You have made a claim with absolutely nothing to back it up. If I sit here and claim the George W Bush was a great president and never provide anything to back it up I can't say I've made that point. You simply say the subconscious reaction is the same. Despite admitting that there is no evidence to support this claim.

You have done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that the subconscious reaction to n***er and n***a is the same. Nothing. You provided a study that shows that people tend to classify words by general topics and that can be seen in brain function. That has nothing to do with positive or negative reactions, and shows nothing about these two words (which, in all likelihood would be classified the same in the Princeton study, but it has nothing to do with positive or negative reactions. Just as carobhydrate and heroin were in the same topic).

I invite you to do some research. Because it seems like you learned the definition of subconscious and leaped to all kinds of conclusions with it. You refuse to address any counter points, dismissing them as "not relevant."

Apparently the only thing you find relevant is n***a and n***er and refuse to consider context. Your "arguments" in this thread are offensive. Fourth graders conduct themselves better.

I haven't changed anything that you've said. Hell, you haven't said anything worth changing. Frankly, you haven't said anything worth acknowledging. I gave you opportunities to support and elaborate on your point and you refused or evaded them.

You have come across in this thread as an ignorant individual with an agenda of excusing non-blacks use of these TWO WORDS as long as blacks use one of them.

it's offensive. I'm glad you're done in this thread. If anyone else wants to post in, there's a chance their open minds can result in progress. Your selfish and conceited approach to this thread have crippled it though.

As long as you continue to live in your bubble, there is no "winner" here. No one wins with your choice to remain ignorant and selfish. You allegedly have some deep, intricate knowledge of how the human brain processes words on a subconscious level, specifically its reaction to the TWO WORDS being discussed in this thread. You have, however, selfishly chosen to keep all research on the matter to yourself with the exception of one study that was incredibly loosely related and does more to counter your thesis than support it.

So yeah, go back to whatever your team board is. Leave this board to the people that are capable of having intelligent, adult conversations.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Furthermore, JDM, your assertion from last night that there is a single American culture is offensive. Using that as a way to say that a kid in Compton has the same reaction to "n***a" as a redneck is Arkasas is laughably ignorant.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I'm seeing from this thread (not the useless Toby / NN parts, the parts worth discussing):

Black people want to be able to use the N word with impunity, and they don't want white people to ever be able to ever use it.

Is that consistent / fair? Not really. Is it a double standard? Yeah. But you know what? I'm not going to pitch a fit about it. I'm fine deferring to a stupid double standard if it gets people to shut the hell up about it. Let 'em have the word and think of a better insult if you get in a pissing contest with a black guy / woman. I don't really need that word in my vocabulary anyway unless I'm quoting Pulp Fiction or Blazing Saddles.

To quote Chris Rock: "Can White people say N***a? The answer? NOT REALLY."

Not every black person is the same and doesnt feel like they should be entitled to exclusive rights over a silly word. Like you mentioned earlier, words are just words. Thats the bottom line. I dont care if someone did a case study on 100 blacks, they wouldnt represent the group as a whole.

Blacks dont accept people using the "er" version with hateful intent or to describe them as ignorant. Especially blacks who are full of wisdom. It has been exhausted in this thread that we are not talking about one word but two and they are spelled different with two different meanings.

someone should come up with a better insult. That one is so old and it doesnt display any originality or creativity.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me in that group.

Duh!! captain obvious... We all know how ignorant you are on this subject matter but it doesnt stop you from chiming in to unload the garbage thats generated from your key strokes... Carry on and enjoy your pass time! :suds:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not every black person is the same and doesnt feel like they should be entitled to exclusive rights over a silly word.

That's true. I'm just talking about the ones who get all up in arms (and the rest of the non-black people who do). I don't believe in complaining about things that are "offensive" when people have the power to just avoid that crap. If someone's using that kind of language at work and it offends you then fine. Speak up. If it's on the street somewhere just ignore it & walk away. There's no use trying to fix assholes.

So I'm not going to shout down a white guy who uses that term in a confrontation; nor am I going to tell a black guy not to say it. It's not a battle worth picking IMO.

Cooper is going to get more notoriety in the NFL for saying a bad word than the ones who endanger people's lives by driving drunk or beat / cheat on their wives, etc. That is ass-backwards.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duh!! captain obvious... We all know how ignorant you are on this subject matter but it doesnt stop you from chiming in to unload the garbage thats generated from your key strokes... Carry on and enjoy your pass time! :suds:

Why would I care?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. I'm just talking about the ones who get all up in arms (and the rest of the non-black people who do). I don't believe in complaining about things that are "offensive" when people have the power to just avoid that crap. If someone's using that kind of language at work and it offends you then fine. Speak up. If it's on the street somewhere just ignore it & walk away. There's no use trying to fix assholes.

So I'm not going to shout down a white guy who uses that term in a confrontation; nor am I going to tell a black guy not to say it. It's not a battle worth picking IMO.

Cooper is going to get more notoriety in the NFL for saying a bad word than the ones who endanger people's lives by driving drunk or beat / cheat on their wives, etc. That is ass-backwards.

I couldnt agree more!! You fuel the power of the offense by not walking away and just ignoring it. This is what JDM doesnt understand. WE do have POWER to avoid the crap and not allow it to have a psychological impact on us.

The last time I was called a Ni&&er, it was by a guy from california who felt the need to say it with a county accent. It sounded to corny that i laughed until my stomach started to hurt. It ruined his time more than mine because it was not effective. So, for someone to think you can not take the power out of a word, is just silly to me.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone should come up with a better insult. That one is so old and it doesnt display any originality or creativity.

I can't view this on my mobile, but i think this shows the whole thing. The fat guy makes fun of Steve Martin's nose. Martin says a guy with such a big nose is so rare that calling him "big nose" is a waste of an opportunity. The guy challenges Martin to think of one better. He does 20+.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldnt agree more!! You fuel the power of the offense by not walking away and just ignoring it. This is what JDM doesnt understand. WE do have POWER to avoid the crap and not allow it to have a psychological impact on us.

The last time I was called a Ni&&er, it was by a guy from california who felt the need to say it with a *country/southern accent. It sounded to corny that i laughed until my stomach started to hurt. It ruined his time more than mine because it was not effective. So, for someone to think you can not take the power out of a word, is just silly to me.

*typing error

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't view this on my mobile, but i think this shows the whole thing. The fat guy makes fun of Steve Martin's nose. Martin says a guy with such a big nose is so rare that calling him "big nose" is a waste of an opportunity. The guy challenges Martin to think of one better. He does 20+.

:lol: well done sir! thats a classic!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: well done sir! thats a classic!
Ahh, I didn't see it until now. I thought it was just the Steve Martin one, but it has the old version, too. Either one I think would run smoother by themselves and probably are funnier alone. I should have posted this (the whole one):

[YOUTUBE]urdf4g-LXk4[/YOUTUBE]