• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: MCoy Should Just Shut His Mouth and Go To Work

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as McCoy's comments disrupting the team, I haven't seen it. As a matter of fact, the only fallout from McCoy's comments may have fast-tracked the decision to have Cooper leave the team for the time being. Giving the team a chance to calm down and let things get back to normal...

Y! SPORTS

Ya, that whole thing from Cooper about being so disgusted with himself that he needs to seek counseling for what he did cracked me up. I believe this incident happened on June 12th so my question is on June 13then why wasn't he so disgusted with himself that he souhgt help back then? Perhaps he is only disgusted that he got caught. Stand up you effin phoney and admit your bias.[/QUOTE]

I agree to an extent but this is PC America. Standing up and saying he doesn't like some black people wasn't going to change the outcome. He can't say, "oh, I'm young and haven't racked up enough wisdom to know the error of my ways." He screwed up and he's paying the price. Is it fair? I don't think so. It's just reality.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The N word can be used for White or Blacks.

Just to put a twist on this Cooper can say that the NFL and the African Americans are being racist to him because he is white and he is using the word. Its ok when a Black man says but not a White. That racist right there.

Definition of the N word: (one of them) Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people.

Again I don't like the word I was just throwing something out there.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not offended at all and you have a very valid point. I agree with everything you just posted. You also help me prove my point to JDM. You can take the power out of a word!!

The reason I listed the negative ones were to prove my point to JDM. During the time of slavery, the word black was a substitute for the N word. I have better than a google search or literature source for confirmation. I have relatives who are still alive from those days who would get offended if you called them black because it was a word used to belittle or degrade them. JDM wants to talk about history and psychological impact of words. If he clearly feels it is wrong to "normalize" the usage of a word, then he should practice what he preaches. He has contradicted himself in this thread.

Where did I contradict myself? Please, do explain.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We finally agree on something. The diference is Cooper did not intend for his statement to be public and McCoy did. McCoy purposely disrupted the team and Cooper did so inadvertantly.

Could have fooled me. Here I thought he shouted it in a public place.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bullshit. A small percentage of that race was subjugated by a small percentage of another race for a short period of time. If you don't think other groups have been "subjugated" as harshly and for much longer you probably should read a little more.

In terms of blacks in America, it was not a small percentage. As far as the number of whites who were involved in that subjugation, certainly a relatively small percentage owned slaves. But a very large number of whites was involved in and benefited from slavery, and virtually all whites felt blacks were inferior. And a "short" period of time is relative. Outright slavery for 65+ years, legally inferior for another 100 in a nation that isn't much over 200 years old doesn't seem like a "short period of time" to me.

Plenty of groups have been subjugated in awful conditions. In the US, it was based entirely upon race. That is fairly unique.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would imagine it is based not on your skin color, but on the experiences you have or have not had.

Which you are assuming based on his skin color. A pretty likely assumption, but an assumption none-the-less.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you're black and you say it, it is a term of endearment or part of the culture... If you are white and say it, it is racist. Double standard but that is the way it is. It was the wrong thing for him to say but for people to act like they never said it or heard it said is just crazy.
No one wins these discussions...

That is the way it is. And it's not limited to race. Larry the Cable Guy can make a career out of white trash jokes. Gay people frequently use words that derived as insults. If you are a member of a group, you can say things about that group that could be considered highly offensive if made by "outsiders." In many cases, it is how that group takes ownership of hurtful words. I'm not here to say it's right or wrong, but there's very little doubt that Cooper used the n-word with all the vitriol he could put behind it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Comparing homosexual slurs to racial slurs is preposterous. Two totally different emotions. It's apples and oranges, IMO.

Curious as to why you think that. As I've mentioned, I think the n-word holds a special place among slurs, but otherwise I don't see a huge difference between racial and sexual preference-oriented slurs.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The N word can be used for White or Blacks.

Just to put a twist on this Cooper can say that the NFL and the African Americans are being racist to him because he is white and he is using the word. Its ok when a Black man says but not a White. That racist right there.

Definition of the N word: (one of them) Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people.

Again I don't like the word I was just throwing something out there.

Yes, it is racist regardless of who uses it in the way that Cooper did.

The fact that people can't wrap their heads around this word having multiple meanings in a variety of contexts with two different spellings is amazing. When blacks want to use it to disparage they use it in the way the Cooper did. Context should make it clear to everyone what the intent of the word was.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Which you are assuming based on his skin color. A pretty likely assumption, but an assumption none-the-less.

Yes, it is still an assumption. The point is he's not saying you can't understand because you're white. He's saying you can't understand because you haven't had the experiences that a black man has had. It's a subtle distinction, but it is still a distinction.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of blacks in America, it was not a small percentage. As far as the number of whites who were involved in that subjugation, certainly a relatively small percentage owned slaves. But a very large number of whites was involved in and benefited from slavery, and virtually all whites felt blacks were inferior. And a "short" period of time is relative. Outright slavery for 65+ years, legally inferior for another 100 in a nation that isn't much over 200 years old doesn't seem like a "short period of time" to me.

Plenty of groups have been subjugated in awful conditions. In the US, it was based entirely upon race. That is fairly unique.

Racism obviously hasn't ended and it never will. What do you think your baseline will be for saying that that time period has ended? That 200 years will get longer and longer as I don't think that what we see now will ever decrease much or go away. To those who aren't racist, it seems they always answer for those who are and the history becomes longer. I can see how people can get tired of being blamed for the time before the 1860's and for those during the 1960's. What's going on now can semi-fairly be attributed to a group because they are doing it. And there are offenses now, of course.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is racist regardless of who uses it in the way that Cooper did.

The fact that people can't wrap their heads around this word having multiple meanings in a variety of contexts with two different spellings is amazing. When blacks want to use it to disparage they use it in the way the Cooper did. Context should make it clear to everyone what the intent of the word was.

I thought I was the only one...

You seem to be the only one in this thread that clearly understands this?

First, you individuals need to understand that Ni@@er and Ni@@a, are not one in the same. Like IMAC, pointed out, if Cooper would of said, "yo thats my Ni@@a right there!", people would of just brushed it off as cooper trying to be a wanna be black hipster/gangster. When you put the "er" at the end it gives it an entirely different meaning. I cant believe how hard that is to understand.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe I have clearly done that
You have not. You went on a silly tangent about how black was used. You know damn well the words don't mean the same thing. I will not have a debate over an attempt at playing semantics with things that are not similar.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, you individuals need to understand that Ni@@er and Ni@@a, are not one in the same. Like IMAC, pointed out, if Cooper would of said, "yo thats my Ni@@a right there!", people would of just brushed it off as cooper trying to be a wanna be black hipster/gangster. When you put the "er" at the end it gives it an entirely different meaning. I cant believe how hard that is to understand.

I have said multiple times the intention is different. The way your brain understands the meaning of words, that doesn't have an impact on how it is absorbed subconsciously.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have not. You went on a silly tangent about how black was used. You know damn well the words don't mean the same thing. I will not have a debate over an attempt at playing semantics with things that are not similar.

Thats one of your problems JDM. You are very ignorant when it comes to black history but yet you want to sit and act like some kind of expert. I will assume you know that intelligence does not equate to wisdom? I never said the words mean the same thing but they were BOTH used to cause harm psychologically. You are attempting to ignore and deny all those in my family and others who would tell you otherwise. How can you tell someone that experienced the use of the word with negative intent, that they are just making things up? Wow, you are something else...

WE can just agree to disagree because obviously you think you know everything and you know more about being black than any black man who ever existed.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have said multiple times the intention is different. The way your brain understands the meaning of words, that doesn't have an impact on how it is absorbed subconsciously.

And I established yesterday that I don't believe that. It sounds like utter BS. If the way your brain understands the TWO DIFFERENT WORDS doesn't change, how come no black folks, rappers in particular, have understood it in the way that they always use it?

Or is it always taken in the negative? When Random Black Guy A says to Random Black Guy B "You my n!&&@" does Random Black Guy B subconsciously feel grossly insulted and demeaned and secretly want to beat up his friend?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me too! Me too! Just kidding. My posts are so long that it doesn't show up when some read over it (or skip it). I didn't know that black was used negatively, other than just the fact that it was a skin-color discrimination. I also didn't know of the African-American being used to show inferiority in relation to Americans. I knew about the not-being-from-Africa and the - I'm-an-American aspect of it - but the Asian-Americans could say the same thing (note: the thoughts of the speaker outside of the word itself is not relevant here - that's a separate level of racism). Like if I said, get out of her, you ****** f***ing *****. That would be bad, even if with the correct term, as you said above. That's a separate racism to the word itself.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats one of your problems JDM. You are very ignorant when it comes to black history but yet you want to sit and act like some kind of expert. I will assume you know that intelligence does not equate to wisdom? I never said the words mean the same thing but they were BOTH used to cause harm psychologically. You are attempting to ignore and deny all those in my family and others who would tell you otherwise. How can you tell someone that experienced the use of the word with negative intent, that they are just making things up? Wow, you are something else...

WE can just agree to disagree because obviously you think you know everything and you know more about being black than any black man who ever existed.

Where do I claim to "know about being black"? I am just explaining that the psychology of how your brain stores information about words, the connections are made, whether you are aware of them or not. The effect is not the same with your examples because it is so much less of what the word means.