• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: MCoy Should Just Shut His Mouth and Go To Work

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you aren't an African American, then you can't relate to an African American being upset about this. It's pretty simple.

So you have pre-judged me not to understand based on my skin color?

That is racist! :L

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cooper just left the team to go seek counseling for his "problem". What a phoney bastard. At least stand up and admit your prejudices now that you have been caught. Don't pretend you "want to try and find out how you could do something so heinous". What a joke.

Before I comment on Cooper leaving the team, who made that decision? Was it Cooper, or did the Eagles dismiss him?

The statement(s) he has released in the last two days seem to suggest this is who he really is. As you have questioned Yada how well he knows Collie for not liking him, I must ask how much time you've spent with Riley Cooper to know who he truly is?

I'm also not sure why you quoted my post about the use of "bitch" for the above reply.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Just like it's sexist to say a woman can't know what it's like to get kicked in the balls? Or a man doesn't know what it's like to give birth?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because certain women refer to each other as "bitches" in a complimentary way, everyone should be able to call any woman in bitch in any context?

Did I say white people should be able to say it? No. No one should. Every use by every person does harm. No one should do it. Someone else hurting people doesn't give you permission if you know better. We know the damage it does and should act like grown ups and not do that damage.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you aren't an African American, then you can't relate to an African American being upset about this. It's pretty simple.

No one said McCoy didn't have a right to be upset. What we are saying was he should have kept in in house instead of feeding the hogs in the press.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did I say white people should be able to say it? No. No one should. Every use by every person does harm. No one should do it. Someone else hurting people doesn't give you permission if you know better. We know the damage it does and should act like grown ups and not do that damage.

Who are you to say what hurts others? When a black man tells his BFF "You my n!&&@" do you think the subject of that comment is hurt by it?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No its not. Racist things only happen to black people. Or at least only the important racial slights happen to them according to Crimson.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you to say what hurts others? When a black man tells his BFF "You my n!&&@" do you think the subject of that comment is hurt by it?

The psychology of how words are processed by the brain means every time the word is said, our brain associates it with the long history of the word together with how gangster types and the popular culture use the word, and reinforce those things subconsciously.

I didn't say it hurts the individual directly. It hurts the entire culture by promoting and propagating racism. Every single time.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I comment on Cooper leaving the team, who made that decision? Was it Cooper, or did the Eagles dismiss him?

The statement(s) he has released in the last two days seem to suggest this is who he really is. As you have questioned Yada how well he knows Collie for not liking him, I must ask how much time you've spent with Riley Cooper to know who he truly is?

I'm also not sure why you quoted my post about the use of "bitch" for the above reply.

The article made it sound like Cooper decided it was best for him and the team to leave and get help. The coach said the Eagles support his decision. Ibelieve he's just covering himself now that he got caught. He wants everyone to think it is abhorant to him that he made such a statement. I believe that is bullshit. As Whitlock says; everyone makes statements like that when surrounded by a sea of white or a sea of black. To pretend otherwise makes him look like a phoney. In answer to the question you posed: I don't know.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The psychology of how words are processed by the brain means every time the word is said, our brain associates it with the long history of the word together with how gangster types and the popular culture use the word, and reinforce those things subconsciously.

I didn't say it hurts the individual directly. It hurts the entire culture by promoting and propagating racism. Every single time.

I'm going to request a bunch of source material on this, because I think it's bullshit. I used this example earlier, but I'll use it again.

You watch a girls' basketball game and one of the girls absolutely dominates. After the game you say "That girl is a beast."

You're out at a club with your boys and one of them is spending a lot of time with a particular girl. You say to him "That girl is a beast."

Both uses of the term "beast" reinforce the same things on a subconscious level? I would think the first girl would be proud to hear it, the second would probably slap you repeatedly.

Also, I wonder how bad white "culture" (pretending for a second that white culture and black culture are things that actually exist" is hurt by the actions of a subset of that culture.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do I talk about black culture? It hurts our entire culture.

Beast doesn't have near the connotation other words do.

And no, I'm not going to go find all the sources on this. It is a research paper worth of work and I do not have time for that. Look up the psychology of how words work, as well as the psychology of how marketing uses specific word choices and why. Combine that information with looking at how the word is used in modern culture. I think you will find it fairly obvious when you understand how words are processed by the brain.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We finally agree on something. The diference is Cooper did not intend for his statement to be public and McCoy did. McCoy purposely disrupted the team and Cooper did so inadvertantly.

What are you talking about? Cooper yelled his slurs in a public setting at a concert, it doesn't get more "public" than that?

As far as McCoy's comments disrupting the team, I haven't seen it. As a matter of fact, the only fallout from McCoy's comments may have fast-tracked the decision to have Cooper leave the team for the time being. Giving the team a chance to calm down and let things get back to normal...

Y! SPORTS

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where do I talk about black culture? It hurts our entire culture.

Beast doesn't have near the connotation other words do.

And no, I'm not going to go find all the sources on this. It is a research paper worth of work and I do not have time for that. Look up the psychology of how words work, as well as the psychology of how marketing uses specific word choices and why. Combine that information with looking at how the word is used in modern culture. I think you will find it fairly obvious when you understand how words are processed by the brain.

You're arguing out of both sides here.

First, what is "our culture?" It's awfully presumptuous of you to assume that you and I share a culture, nevermind that everyone may.

So your comments about the psychology of words:

only applies to certain words?

I'm not doing your research for you. You made the claim. Defend it. I didn't ask for every source. I asked for a bunch of sources.

To suggest that this word is used is only one way (with both endings) as you did

(
Combine that information with looking at how the word is used in modern culture.
)

is quite asinine as well. Also, again, this talk about "modern culture" as if there is only one. I would appreciate you convince me that the culture Riley Cooper was a part of when he made his comment is the same culture as Jay Z or Slaughterhouse when they use it.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're arguing out of both sides here.

First, what is "our culture?" It's awfully presumptuous of you to assume that you and I share a culture, nevermind that everyone may.

The culture of our country. With how connected people are. It is spread fairly effectively.

So your comments about the psychology of words:

only applies to certain words?

Of course not. Beast does not have a strong negative meaning in people's minds.

I'm not doing your research for you. You made the claim. Defend it. I didn't ask for every source. I asked for a bunch of sources.

And I do not care. You claim you have interest, so I told you what to look for. Allowing other people to do your research for you is a foolish way to get an actual comprehension of a subject. I did my research. I am not doing it again.

To suggest that this word is used is only one way (with both endings) as you did

()

is quite asinine as well. Also, again, this talk about "modern culture" as if there is only one. I would appreciate you convince me that the culture Riley Cooper was a part of when he made his comment is the same culture as Jay Z or Slaughterhouse when they use it.

Most of our nation's culture is shared. It doesn't matter how the word is intended. The connection is there in every person with any understanding of history or who hears music that uses the word. It is fortified every time the word is heard.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're black and you say it, it is a term of endearment or part of the culture... If you are white and say it, it is racist. Double standard but that is the way it is. It was the wrong thing for him to say but for people to act like they never said it or heard it said is just crazy.
No one wins these discussions...

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By commenting on it, he added to the frenzy. His actions were not as harmful as coopers, but they were actually pretty close.

Same response I made in a previous post-

As far as McCoy's comments disrupting the team, I haven't seen it. As a matter of fact, the only fallout from McCoy's comments may have fast-tracked the decision to have Cooper leave the team for the time being. Giving the team a chance to calm down and let things get back to normal...

Y! SPORTS

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The culture of our country. With how connected people are. It is spread fairly effectively.

I'm in awe that you would suggest that there is a single culture of your country. That baffles me.

Of course not. Beast does not have a strong negative meaning in people's minds.

Next time you're taking your taking your wife/fiancee/gf/first date out, when you see her all dressed up tell her she looks like a beast. See how that goes over.

And I do not care. You claim you have interest, so I told you what to look for. Allowing other people to do your research for you is a foolish way to get an actual comprehension of a subject. I did my research. I am not doing it again.

I have interest in the validity of your claim. Particularly since you have since indicated that there is a single American culture.

I didn't ask you to do my research. I asked for your source material. If you ever get a scholarly worked published, please put that in your bibliography. Hell, if you're still a student do it in a research paper. I'm sure that would go over really well.

Most of our nation's culture is shared. It doesn't matter how the word is intended. The connection is there in every person with any understanding of history or who hears music that uses the word. It is fortified every time the word is heard.

That's a load of manure. Statements like the above make me question everything you have to say in this thread. Tell me that Justin Smith and Kim Kardashian share a culture. Tell me how a Kansas farmer shares a culture with kids growing up in the ghetto. If you can't see a strong cultural divide in America, you've got blinders on. It shone through quite strongly in the last two presidential elections.

It's flat out wrong to suggest there is a unique American culture. And, if possible, even wronger to suggest that there is a single culture in my country.

:canada:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are subcultures, but if you can't understand how much of the culture is shared I really don't know how I can help you.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There are subcultures, but if you can't understand how much of the culture is shared I really don't know how I can help you.

You can't. At all. The suggestion that there is some overlying American culture that covers everyone I find ridiculous.

However, if there is, it must be something incredibly generic, so it should be easy to describe. Go for it.