• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: MCoy Should Just Shut His Mouth and Go To Work

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1b]Words are just words and can only cause as much harm as you allow them to. My grandmother once told me, sticks and stones has the possibility to break your bones but names will never hurt you if you dont allow them to.[/b]
The "N" word along with calling a grown black man "boy" was established to have a negative psychological impact. Strong black men who tried to break the psychological bondage of these words, started to use them to show others they are simply words. Basically making a mockery of those who use them to promote hate. This is how you take the power or attraction away. Blacks who continue to allow these simple words to effect them in such a way, only adds to the power and attraction of its usage.

I dont think you understand the intent on why it was used by blacks in the past or how it is used now? Its a slang word in hip hop culture today with a different pronunciation and used by all races in that culture. To say it(slang) has a worse impact used by this culture, than a white person who uses the original word for hateful purposes, is your opinion and something you are entitled to but is not factual.

You can be the smartest person in this thread but until you walk around in black mens shoes, you will never fully understand anything about a black man. So, I dont think you understand the harm blacks do to themselves by allowing a word to continue to hold them bondage and have power. Im not promoting it to be used in slang or any form but at the end of the day, they are just words.

That's not how reality works though. Words do matter, whether you want them to or not. It has been demonstrated time and time again that this is the case.

The intent doesn't matter. The reality is that that word does a hell of a lot of damage. When it comes from a black person, it normalizes its use, and when you combine that with not only it's history but how the gangster rap culture uses the word, the negative connotations that continue to be spread are real, and you can't just shrug it off and say "this word has no power".

The reality is, words do matter.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly! He was speaking for the team. Only a fool would believe that that is what every member of the team thought. I'm sure a lot of the black players were offended, the white players couldn't care less and a lot of feelings were expressed. But Vick was definitely speaking for the team and he did a fine job of it.

You sure about that? You don't think any of those white players, who have been surrounded by black men and undoubtedly friends with black men all their lives, are also upset that Cooper insulted the majority of their locker room? And that he did it on camera? That would surprise me. I would be pretty pissed that Cooper's actions are now distracting from the team and training camp. That would upset me far more than McCoy's statements.

Oh, right, but I don't know what it's like to be part of a team. It's silly to think I'd give a shit about the feelings of teammates of another race, and tensions within the locker room.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to score points. I'm pointing out the idiocy of your position. You say we should take advantage of this to have an open and frank conversation about inherent bias. That's great. But you start the thread by telling someone who is openly and frankly sharing his opinion to shut up. That is contradictory.

Perhaps the greater irony is that you are the one who started this thread. There was not a Riley Cooper thread on this board until you initiated it, to complain about how everyone is making such a big deal about it.

As for bias, I agree that we are all biased in some ways. Again, though, I don't see how telling McCoy to shut up facilitates an open dialogue.

The funny thing is that by attempting to do so, you did nothing more than expose your own. You cannot understand why this should be kept in house by the team because you never played on a team.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurt the team? The problem is and will be there whether or not McCoy kept it in house or told the whole world. What "hurt the team" was Coopers actions. He single handedly divided the team, with his racial slurs. You have to expect reactions like McCoys after something like this comes to light. Cooper didn't just do something stupid like get a DUI, he went out and offended a race, a race which happens to be the majority of his teammates...

We have seen this time and time again, anyone who chooses to drop racial slurs is subject to public scrutiny. Riley Cooper should count his blessings that he works for the NFL and not the Food Network!

You sure about that? You don't think any of those white players, who have been surrounded by black men and undoubtedly friends with black men all their lives, are also upset that Cooper insulted the majority of their locker room? And that he did it on camera? That would surprise me. I would be pretty pissed that Cooper's actions are now distracting from the team and training camp. That would upset me far more than McCoy's statements.

Oh, right, but I don't know what it's like to be part of a team. It's silly to think I'd give a shit about the feelings of teammates of another race, and tensions within the locker room.

You really think that white players haven't heard racial slurs, slung at them by black players?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can only judge by myself and just about every other person I know. If the cooment wasn't directed at them, they couldn't care less. Black people are some of the worst offenders. They couldn't care less when words are directed at other races but they freak when it is directed at them. That's human nature. All groups are like that. So, yes, when the white players go home at night, Riley's comments mean nothing to them. Why do you think ESPN is digging up all the comments they can from their black reporters and not their white?
From your comment above, it seems you agree with me about McCoy. His comments are intentionally distracting the team. You can't have it both ways.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In related news, Obama held a press conference saying that the security guard could have been his son in twenty years. He later, realizing it could get more brownie points for emotional reaction, says that security guard could've been him ten years ago. He subsequently fired his speechwriter for not thinking of that first. And he broke the teleprompter. He later hired speechwriter back realizing he cannot do it alone. And personally paid for a new teleprompter, because of the White House's sense of entitlement. He considered not paying for it, because after losing so much money, what the hell? But then, he remembered, he could've been a teleprompter.

Just a joke, I purposely used some criticisms and generalizations made by the other side.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You really think that white players haven't heard racial slurs, slung at them by black players?

I have no doubt, that it has happened...

But that isn't the point. I'm not here trying to defend any race, if the shoe were on the other foot i would take the same exact position. We have learned by several past experiences that when something like this comes up, you will get a negative backlash. I don't care if it is a teammate, a roommate, a neighbor, a best friend or even a family member. When ever the race card is played you get a very harsh response...

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But that isn't the point. I'm not here trying to defend any race, if the shoe were on the other foot i would take the same exact position. We have learned by several past experiences that when something like this comes up, you will get a negative backlash. I don't care if it is a teammate, a roommate, a neighbor, a best friend or even a family member. When ever the race card is played you get a very harsh response...

I agree.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In related news, Obama held a press conference saying that the security guard could have been his son in twenty years. He later, realizing it could get more brownie points for emotional reaction, says that security guard could've been him ten years ago. He subsequently fired his speechwriter for not thinking of that first. And he broke the teleprompter. He later hired speechwriter back realizing he cannot do it alone. And personally paid for a new teleprompter, because of the White House's sense of entitlement. He considered not paying for it, because after losing so much money, what the hell? But then, he remembered, he could've been a teleprompter.

Just a joke, I purposely used some criticisms and generalizations made by the other side.

That is too funny. Well done.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the shoe were on the other foot, there would be nothing more than a minor blip on the news that would be forgotten the next day.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Riley Cooper leaves Eagles - ESPN

Goodell said the CBA prohibited dual punishment for the same incident. So if the Saints had suspended their players each one or two games for the bounty scandal, he would have said' "oh well?" I'm sure he would've said something different. He could have vacated the team's punishment and inserted his own. Or are on and off the field incidents different? Some criticize Goodell for not punishing the receiver here. Had he punished him, there would be some saying he overstepped his power or that this was a team issue, or that he was overreacting. Either way, people could say he has his priorities wrong.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The funny thing is that by attempting to do so, you did nothing more than expose your own. You cannot understand why this should be kept in house by the team because you never played on a team.

I appreciate you trying to get a rise out of me. It almost worked. I'm quite confident I've played a far more integral role on far more successful teams than you have. But by all means, please use your vast knowledge of team sports to tell us again about Terrell Suggs not using his legs....

And here's a crazy thought: maybe discussing this out in the open will actually help the team. Rather than just sweeping this under the rug, McCoy's comments may force them to address it, resolve differences, and ultimately become closer.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can only judge by myself and just about every other person I know. If the cooment wasn't directed at them, they couldn't care less. Black people are some of the worst offenders. They couldn't care less when words are directed at other races but they freak when it is directed at them. That's human nature. All groups are like that. So, yes, when the white players go home at night, Riley's comments mean nothing to them. Why do you think ESPN is digging up all the comments they can from their black reporters and not their white?
From your comment above, it seems you agree with me about McCoy. His comments are intentionally distracting the team. You can't have it both ways.

So yourself and all the old white guys you hang out with? I'm sure it's a real cross-section of humanity.

We had a gay guy - closeted at the time - on my college team. If he had been out, and one of our teammates had said awful things about gay people that got back to John, it would have bothered me, even though I'm straight. It would bother me because it would have made one of my teammates feel like one of my other teammates viewed him as being somehow less simply because of his sexual orientation. Now, I've had far more contact with various racial, ethnic, sexual, etc. groups than most people, so maybe I'm more apt to consider things from other perspectives than my own. But we're talking about NFL players, so an awful lot of white guys on the team presumably have very good friends who are black. I'd imagine there are more than a few white people who are bothered by Cooper's comments, and I think it's very possible some of those are on his own team.

I don't disagree that McCoy's words could be a distraction. I just don't agree that it was so terrible to air them publicly. By far the greatest damage was done by Cooper. I don't see that McCoy's comments following it will have a significant effect on the team. He basically just stated the obvious: that some members of the Eagles will have lost respect for Cooper based on his comments.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If the shoe were on the other foot, there would be nothing more than a minor blip on the news that would be forgotten the next day.

That's possible. And it may not seem fair. Hell, it may not be fair. Though I would also contend that as far as racial slurs go, the n-word has particular significance.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate you trying to get a rise out of me. It almost worked. I'm quite confident I've played a far more integral role on far more successful teams than you have. But by all means, please use your vast knowledge of team sports to tell us again about Terrell Suggs not using his legs....

And here's a crazy thought: maybe discussing this out in the open will actually help the team. Rather than just sweeping this under the rug, McCoy's comments may force them to address it, resolve differences, and ultimately become closer.

Despite your shrill protestations, this statement is another clear indication that you were never a member of a team. They would only become closer by resolving it internally and opening themselves to ech other, not the rabid wolves in the press. All of us who played know that you keep it in the clubhouse.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, let me see what did McCoy say that is so outrageous for this kind of opprobrium?

"I forgive him. We've been friends for a long time," the running back said Thursday. "But in a situation like this, you really find out about someone. Just on a friendship level, I can't really respect someone like that."

What Cooper said is so outrageous that he himself now knows how damaging his own words have been at least as far as his own predominantly black teammates relationship is concerned.

"The last few days have been incredibly difficult for me," Cooper said. "My actions were inexcusable. The more I think about what I did, the more disgusted I get. I keep trying to figure out how I could have said something so repulsive, and what I can do to make things better."

It is very easy for some of us who are not in any black player's shoes to flippantly dismiss the reaction of these black players and attack LeSean McCoy.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yourself and all the old white guys you hang out with? I'm sure it's a real cross-section of humanity.

We had a gay guy - closeted at the time - on my college team. If he had been out, and one of our teammates had said awful things about gay people that got back to John, it would have bothered me, even though I'm straight. It would bother me because it would have made one of my teammates feel like one of my other teammates viewed him as being somehow less simply because of his sexual orientation. Now, I've had far more contact with various racial, ethnic, sexual, etc. groups than most people, so maybe I'm more apt to consider things from other perspectives than my own. But we're talking about NFL players, so an awful lot of white guys on the team presumably have very good friends who are black. I'd imagine there are more than a few white people who are bothered by Cooper's comments, and I think it's very possible some of those are on his own team.

I don't disagree that McCoy's words could be a distraction. I just don't agree that it was so terrible to air them publicly. By far the greatest damage was done by Cooper. I don't see that McCoy's comments following it will have a significant effect on the team. He basically just stated the obvious: that some members of the Eagles will have lost respect for Cooper based on his comments.

I had to stop reading right there. You were never on a college team. The thought of it actually made me laugh out loud.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's possible. And it may not seem fair. Hell, it may not be fair. Though I would also contend that as far as racial slurs go, the n-word has particular significance.[/QUOTE]

How so? Is a slur more offensive when its used against one group rather than another? Because if that is what you are saying, I would consider that a racist statement. If you call me a chink or a spic is that better than you calling me a ****er? Just stop while you still have some credibility.