• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Joe Pa done

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
There is no guideline for him going to the police and he definitely SHOULD have immediately. He should have gone straight to the authorities. The police is who is supposed to take care of people that r*pe children, not the university.

It isn't that complicated.

"and the only thing really left to say after that is... boom."

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, on the flip side of this coin... Anyone who makes something like this up, like the woman who lied about the Duke Lacross team, is almost as despicable as Sandusky is alleged to be.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Like I said....please excuse my devil's advocacy. I'm not always sure of the arguments I'm making, just like to throw other possible perspectives out there. Finding a bit of room to defend Paterno here is tough....I just think he's taking a *bit* too much heat for someone else's crimes when no one really knows what he knew.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just think he's taking a *bit* too much heat for someone else's crimes when no one really knows what he knew.

Why? He was complicit in that crime for 9 years. I say he's getting off easy.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like I said....please excuse my devil's advocacy. I'm not always sure of the arguments I'm making, just like to throw other possible perspectives out there. Finding a bit of room to defend Paterno here is tough....I just think he's taking a *bit* too much heat for someone else's crimes when no one really knows what he knew.

If he would have simply picked up the phone and dialed 9-1-1 nine years ago how many children would have been spared being raped in the ass?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All signs indicate that Paterno was aware of the behavior.

Your analogy is reasonable, but it misses a few things. Specifically, the sous chef has around-the-clock access to the restaurant and master chef Paterno did nothing to restrict his access. In that case, I think the chef should absolutely suffer if it turns out that the sous chef continued his behavior on restaurant premises.

Joe Paterno is PSU football. It should have been obvious to him that an assistant or even a former assistant engaging in wildly inappropriate behavior (regardless of what he was told, no one disputes that there was a story about a naked man and a naked boy in the shower together) would be a black mark on his record. Frankly, that's almost certainly the reason this was not reported to the police. If he took no further action than to tell Sandusky to stop bringing children around, then he deserves to be punished if Sandusky continued to r*pe children. Any college football coach should realize how important public perception is. It may not be fair, but it's reality.

He shouldn't be punished for being unsure.

Of course if Gary Schultz does report this to the university campus police department, then Joe Pa would be in the clear. Some people's opinion may be swayed into thinking Joe Pa made the right decision. IMO, the media is just looking for people to put on a cross because Sandusky's actions are so impossibly heinous.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The restaurant is sweeping it under the rug just like Penn State did. After the 2nd allegation in 2002 Sandusky was no longer with the team following the season. It's not a coincidence because Paterno knew about it.

What about this scenario.... a guy witnesses a man stab another man at work. He runs and tells his higher up that maybe he just punched him in the stomach because he just can't believe what he saw. They tell the guy to just stop bringing knives to work.

What they all did was just enough to cover their ass at Penn State. It obviously didn't work.

Saw the timeline on ESPN just a few minutes ago, what the heck happened to the investigation report in 1999?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He shouldn't be punished for being unsure.

Of course if Gary Schultz does report this to the university campus police department, then Joe Pa would be in the clear. Some people's opinion may be swayed into thinking Joe Pa made the right decision. IMO, the media is just looking for people to put on a cross because Sandusky's actions are so impossibly heinous.

Unsure of what?
My opinion is that Paterno is one of the people that could have prevented many children from being raped in the ass.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's my standard: You have even the SLIGHTEST evidence, no matter how small, and I don't care if it's second hand, that a child is being sexually abused you tell the police and you tell the kid's parents. No exceptions.

If it's the parent who's suspected of doing the molestation you tell CPS. If you have ANY knowlege of or evidence indicating a child is being molested and you don't go to the police you're complicit and you're a coward in my mind. Get your damn hands a little dirty for the sake of an innocent child!

Those assholes in the Catholic church who molested children should be put to death just like Sandusky should be. Anyone who had knowlege it was happening and didn't go to the police should be flogged IMO.

And let's not get McQueary's witnessing of this horrendous act confused with heresay. Suspicioun and heresay are different than evidence. If you actually talk to an eye witness you are a second hand witness yourself. That is evidence. That's FAR more than what's needed to open a criminal case.

+1!!!!!!!

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unsure of what?
My opinion is that Paterno is one of the people that could have prevented many children from being raped in the ass.

Unsure of the truth. I haven't been responding to any non-level-headed posters till now. I don't see you or anyone else trying to make a difference as a direct activist in any sexual abuse prevention hotlines and/or meeting groups. How far removed are you from the responsibility of protecting victims like the ones who were taken advantage of by Sandusky? when 1 in 7 children are sexually abused! so don't tell me it's not relevant in your life.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw the timeline on ESPN just a few minutes ago, what the heck happened to the investigation report in 1999?

Apparently the mother of the boy was afraid to testify or didn't want to or something along those lines. Not sure if she was embarrassed by it and didn't want to put her kid out there??

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Apparently the mother of the boy was afraid to testify or didn't want to or something along those lines. Not sure if she was embarrassed by it and didn't want to put her kid out there??

So, Joe firing supporters should the mother be jailed?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Look at it this way:

So now you're in Joe Pa's shoes after the "upset" witness told you his crazy story about your friend raping a kid in your locker room. This person also gave you a written account of what he saw that night which involved your friend in a shower naked with a kid.

Do you:

a) Tell the witness he should call the cops right away
b) Go ahead and call the cops and they can come down there right now and straighten this all out
c) Inform your boss there's been a possible child r*pe in your locker room and arrange a meeting to figure out what to do next
d) Call your friend and ask him what was going on.

Okay, so Joe Pa chose option C. It's been another week and nothing has happened. So what do you do?

a) Go ahead and call the cops at this time and let them know what's going on
b) Talk to the witness again and tell him university is looking into it, but you might want to go ahead and call the cops.
c) Call your friend and ask him what's going on with a story about him showering with a child.
d) Talk to your boss(es) again
e) Or just ignore the issue and never even bring it up with your bosses, the witness, or your friend

Another week goes by, same situation. How are you going to keep selecting option e) for 9 years? That's insanity.

An assumption was made that Joe Pa contacted his lawyer. Let me play this devil's advocate game and say the vp and the athletic director also contacted their lawyers. Didn't get the greatest advice did they? Sure Joe Pa contacted his lawyer, or did he just try to cover this up to protect his friend and his football program?