• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Tanev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I climbed up Menzies mountain today in hopes of seeing the incredible views of Vancouver Island from the lookout. It's 2500 feet up to the top; a 3 hour hike. We get to the top and we're about 100 feet from the lookout when we come across a mother bear and cubs hanging out beside a small lake next to the road. Basically, they weren't going anywhere and my son and I weren't about to start trying to coax them into reversing their decision; we high-tailed the fuck outta there.

....so we had to head back down the mountain; no view. :(

Number one threat to America?

images

... apparently also Canada.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About a month ago and a half ago, the outside part of my left knee started acting up. I may have been using improper form doing sumo squats or going too low too soon. Anyway, after 14 minutes of jogging the next day (of which my form may also have been suspect), I could not go on and it hurt to walk. I did NOT ice the knee right away, which was stupid on my part - tho in my defense, it didn't feel serious serious.

Anyway, I continued doing leg exercises (though now with less or no weights) for weeks and I quit jogging altogether. I did pick up jump rope to replace jogging. Anyway, the pain moved from the side of the knee to below the knee. The kneecap itself felt fine. After a few more weeks, I started icing the knee just in case it was a sprain. Now the pain has moved a couple of inches further down my leg.

Never has it felt like a sharp pain, but walking with my usual long stride is very very uncomfortable. While sitting down or laying in bed, it feels fine (although at nights there will be an occasional tingle or throb in the general area. Going upstairs also triggers the sensation but not nearly as bad as walking long distances.

I've often asked myself whether it has ever felt like my knee might "give out" but I think the answer is no.

I asked a runnner at the WC what I might have, and she suggested runner's knee or jumper's knee as possibilities but she admitted to not having knee problems ever.

Any ideas? Besides the obvious "Go see a real doctor, you dork." :D

Sounds like many things honestly, hah. When you said starting on the outside my initial thought was meniscus, but if you're not having catching/locking/feeling of giving way/clicking, then I'd hesitate to call it that. Your friend may have been on the right path. Runner's/Jumper's knee is common name for Patellar Tendonitis. There's an easy fix to that if you have prewrap (it's that stuff girls wear in their hair that's really used underneath tape jobs). You take it and wrap it around just below your knee about 6 times, then roll it up so it creates a band sitting just below the patella on the tendon there. It takes the pressure off the tendon. I'm fairly certain it's a chronic issue, especially if there wasn't one event that triggered it for you. It could just be patellofemoral syndrome, but that's our way of saying "we don't know what this is, your knee hurts, here's a title to make you feel better."

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like many things honestly, hah. When you said starting on the outside my initial thought was meniscus, but if you're not having catching/locking/feeling of giving way/clicking, then I'd hesitate to call it that. Your friend may have been on the right path. Runner's/Jumper's knee is common name for Patellar Tendonitis. There's an easy fix to that if you have prewrap (it's that stuff girls wear in their hair that's really used underneath tape jobs). You take it and wrap it around just below your knee about 6 times, then roll it up so it creates a band sitting just below the patella on the tendon there. It takes the pressure off the tendon. I'm fairly certain it's a chronic issue, especially if there wasn't one event that triggered it for you. It could just be patellofemoral syndrome, but that's our way of saying "we don't know what this is, your knee hurts, here's a title to make you feel better."

Yeah googling stuff made me think meniscus was a possibility at first, then that theory started falling apart.

I'll check prewrap out. Would any kind of compression band work? Maybe my knee is just built funny? :(

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah googling stuff made me think meniscus was a possibility at first, then that theory started falling apart.

I'll check prewrap out. Would any kind of compression band work? Maybe my knee is just built funny? :(

There are patellar straps as well (Mueller makes the most common brand), it just has to be a band of some sort over that spot. It could be a positioning type thing, some people have patellas that sit on the outside of the patellafemoral groove, some inside, some have bowing, etc. And that most certainly causes issues. Heck, sometimes it's about your feet. Flat feet/high arches create issues the whole way up your extremities.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jumpers-knee-strap-product.jpg

Here's the Mueller version. Our athletes prefer prewrap, because these ones slip when you get sweaty. If you do try prewrap though, be aware it tends to rip leg hairs, hah.

Here's the prewrap version video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are patellar straps as well (Mueller makes the most common brand), it just has to be a band of some sort over that spot. It could be a positioning type thing, some people have patellas that sit on the outside of the patellafemoral groove, some inside, some have bowing, etc. And that most certainly causes issues. Heck, sometimes it's about your feet. Flat feet/high arches create issues the whole way up your extremities.

Gesundheit. :D

It would be nice to know, just in case I have been using the correct form. I try very hard to use correct form all the time, but obviously I do not have a trainer with me, either.

jumpers-knee-strap-product.jpg

Here's the Mueller version. Our athletes prefer prewrap, because these ones slip when you get sweaty. If you do try prewrap though, be aware it tends to rip leg hairs, hah.

Here's the prewrap version video:

Rip leg hairs? I'm fucked. :lol:

When should I wear this band? During rehab, during exercises, all the time? I'm guessing the first two.

Also - if you could put a percentage of how sure you are regarding my problem, what would it be?

Last edited by a moderator:

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pix, you should start charging a fee instead of giving away all this free medical advice. :D

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Futhermore - you make it sound as though it is nothing too serious (i.e no surgery required). Am I correct?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gesundheit. :D

It would be nice to know, just in case I have been using the correct form. I try very hard to use correct form all the time, but obviously I do not have a trainer with me, either.

Rip leg hairs? I'm fucked. :lol:

When should I wear this band? During rehab, during exercises, all the time? I'm guessing the first two.

Also - if you could put a percentage of how sure you are regarding my problem, what would it be?

Futhermore - you make it sound as though it is nothing too serious (i.e no surgery required). Am I correct?

Form is very, very, very hard to perfect. And yeah, during exercise basically. And it's hard to put a number to my certainty, but I will say that's it's difficult to diagnose without seeing/testing things. But it's definitely a chronic thing (which CAN be meniscus however), but I've ruled out most of the major ones outside of just general degeneration. And if I'm right it's not serious really, this should help for pain during exercise, ice afterwards for 20 minutes, and if it gets worse I *could* give you an at home treatment type thing...but you have to promise not to sue me, hah. Realizing that I'm not yet certified giving this info. :D

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pix, you should start charging a fee instead of giving away all this free medical advice. :D

I know, right? By now she must have been asked some kind of medical question by everyone on the board at least once. :lol:

Hahah, I do have a paypal ;) Seriously though, I'm more than happy to help you guys out. You're my friends, as lame as others may find that. Doing this job to help people out. Although...I better get paid eventually, that is sort of the point I suppose.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Pirates/Dodgers series is gonna be a barnburner. Pirates 2.5 games ahead of the LAD for the wildcard. 2-2 in the 4th now.

Status
Not open for further replies.