• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of long term extensions being given out around the league. I think players have watched the last 2 off-seasons play out and want no part of that headache.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball season doesn't really begin until hockey season ends, but I thought this shirt from last nights' Phils-Nats matchup was pretty funny.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball season doesn't really begin until hockey season ends, but I thought this shirt from last nights' Phils-Nats matchup was pretty funny.

U see the guy sitting in the stands behind the plate with the sign lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lest we forget...

LinearWhiteEeve-size_restricted.gif

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only posting this because Darkstone likes bat flips...

Bat flips are bad. Not because I'm against excessive celebrations or personal flare, but when I learned baseball growing up, when you make contact with the ball... YOU ARE RUNNING. It should be Pavlovian. Now I get that sometimes you know when it comes off the bat that it's out of the park. But you don't ALWAYS know. Sometimes the wind holds it up, maybe the launch angle wasn't quite what you thought it was, etc. You run it out.

Maybe that ball comes up short and hits off the wall. If you are standing/watching, maybe you only get a single on what could have been a triple. I just don't like it when the ball is in play. Just like guys who strut the last 10 yards into the end zone (looking at you Desean Jackson). Nobody in the NHL goes on a breakaway and holds the finger up to the crowd just before they shoot. Admittedly, the home run is a more sure thing than that, but you get my point.

Sloppy habits are sloppy habits.

Relatedly, whatever Nats' pitcher wants to become the most popular guy in DC baseball for the next 5 years is the guy that puts one in Bryce's ear. Borderline bullpen guys, I'm looking at you.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bat flips are bad. Not because I'm against excessive celebrations or personal flare, but when I learned baseball growing up, when you make contact with the ball... YOU ARE RUNNING. It should be Pavlovian. Now I get that sometimes you know when it comes off the bat that it's out of the park. But you don't ALWAYS know. Sometimes the wind holds it up, maybe the launch angle wasn't quite what you thought it was, etc. You run it out.

Maybe that ball comes up short and hits off the wall. If you are standing/watching, maybe you only get a single on what could have been a triple. I just don't like it when the ball is in play. Just like guys who strut the last 10 yards into the end zone (looking at you Desean Jackson). Nobody in the NHL goes on a breakaway and holds the finger up to the crowd just before they shoot. Admittedly, the home run is a more sure thing than that, but you get my point.

Sloppy habits are sloppy habits.

Relatedly, whatever Nats' pitcher wants to become the most popular guy in DC baseball for the next 5 years is the guy that puts one in Bryce's ear. Borderline bullpen guys, I'm looking at you.

During development in the minor leagues, a not uncommon instructional tool to get guys to finish their swings is have them pause a moment in the box to hold the follow-through. It's especially common with guys with untapped raw power, and speedsters who tend to pull out of their swings trying to run before it's done. There are a lot of players who actually had their hit and get running mentality developed out of them intentionally by teams trying to improve their swings.

But either way, baseball is entertainment, and if you know it's gone, take a moment and be flashy, have personality. Heck, flip your bat on a single if you're not going to have to rush to beat it out.

Harper himself has a pause at his follow-through, consequent likely of how he uncoils in his swing. He's never going to be a guy who gets running right after contact unless he overhauls his swing. And there's no reason to retool a swing that produces as much as his does.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M’s continue to score runs by the bunch. 12 today in the win. Now 9-2 on the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.