• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, like, we're maybe 5 years tops from the Thunder losing millions a year and OKC's moving either back to Seattle or down to Vegas, right?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to sports talk radio this morning the general consensus is that the NBA will have a lockout in two years time.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
anyone want to give me the Coles Notes version of how the NBA salary cap works?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone want to give me the Coles Notes version of how the NBA salary cap works?
At the moment, it essentially doesn't. They got a big ups tv deal that pretty much doubled the cap in the matter of a few seasons and will really hit its heights next summer so everybody's got stupid money to spend and they're all spending it stupidly.

This is why Durant only signed for 1 year with an option - he can sign a much fatter deal next summer.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't understand why Durant is getting all this backlash, I mean he's certainly not the first NBA player to jump ship to an already good team.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't understand why Durant is getting all this backlash, I mean he's certainly not the first NBA player to jump ship to an already good team.

Didn't we used to lament that pro athletes were too driven by money? And now we see guys making decisions for championships, friendships, lifestyle, etc. and we want to fault them for it? Work and personal success are all things we strive for, so I'm unsure why people fault pro athletes for making decisions that fit with those goals.

I don't get it either. I understand why you'd be upset if you're an OKC fan (or one of the delusional Wizards' fans who thought he was coming here because this is his hometown), but the widespread anger is unfounded.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too think it's silly, but many NBA GM's believe it can take up to a decade for a team to get over losing a superstar. It's a much, much bigger hit in the NBA than it is in hockey or baseball. It's natural for some fans to overreact, and really it's kinda justified - how did the Bulls, Jazz, Knicks and Pacers fare once the 90s ended?

The rest comes from the SAS' of the world who help ESPN tap into the Johnny McMouthbreather segment of the population so they can keep getting Budweiser ad money.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome

Mariners' Edgar Martinez almost hits baseball to train tracks during batting practice

Infielder Daniel Robertson, recalled from Triple-A Tacoma Wednesday, sounded giddy in an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle describing Martinez's hitting display.

"I grew up a Mariners fan, very huge," he said. "I vividly remember and still get emotional. I will get goosebumps talking about the ball he hit down the line and Junior scoring. Watching him take BP, once he got loose it looked the exact same, but with who he is now, if that makes sense, as his experience in life has gotten a little bit longer than all of ours.

"It was the same player," Robertson added. He was hitting line drives up the middle. He hit a ball up in the Crawford Box. I mean, off the back wall! It was the exact same person. His swing didn't change. I don't know how much he swings nowadays but he steps in the cage and 12 balls in he looks like Edgar Martinez chasing a batting title. That's what it looks like."

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, it was pretty nice to see the Jays put the broom to the Royals this week. Geez, that's an easy team to dislike.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, it was pretty nice to see the Jays put the broom to the Royals this week. Geez, that's an easy team to dislike.
Get at least a split vs. the Tigers and they go into the break in pretty good shape.

Hopefully Estrada and JB are back soon after the break and they can use the last few weeks of July to see what the roster needs.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not into fighting at all but I thought this video was pretty interesting - Daniel Cormier hears from Shitbag McShitbagson that Jon Jones tested positive and his fight is off. Quite emotional from Cormier:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J.A. Happ Q&A: Talking fastballs, basketball, Blue Jays, milk - Sportsnet.ca

Is there anything you’re still not used to in Canada?

I think I’ve gotten used to most of the stuff. Grocery shopping is a little different. I still don’t understand the bagged milk situation here.

What?

You guys sell milk in bags and I don’t really get why, or what you do then with the bags. Other than that it seems like Canada’s doing a pretty good job. [Laughs.] But I don’t get the milk. Put it in a gallon jug so you don’t have the sloppy, messy bag.

You know you put the bag in a milk jug, right?

Where’s the jug? Do you have to buy the jug separately? Why are they not in the jug already?

Oh my gosh. You have to ask someone at the grocery store for help.

Why do I have to ask? I should just grab it from the counter and it should be ready for me to drink.

There’s an assumption that you know to put the bag in a milk jug and cut it open.

[Laughs]. They can’t assume that. I’ve never bought it because I see this bag of milk and I’m like I don’t get what I can do with this thing.

J.A., I can’t believe this.

[Laughs.] We need a memo sent out to all American players on how Canada dispenses its milk. Would you prefer to have a gallon of milk or a bag or milk? You can pick up a gallon and walk out of the store. Or you can try to figure out how to drink your bagged milk.

Or, ya know, just buy a carton of milk. We sell em both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.