• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT:Goalie Stats Question.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While listening to the game tonight at work. (I had to catch up on some stuff) A coworker and I got into a rules conversation. After the 2 empty net goals I mentioned that they would count against the goalies GAA. My coworker countered that they wouldn't because the goalie was not actually in goal to try and stop the pucks. He went on to say that neither the GAA would be effected nor the save %. I say they do, since like a pitcher in baseball, he is the goalie of record. He wasn't replaced by another goalie, who would then take over on the stats sheet.
So who is correct?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wikipedia says "Empty net goals are charged to the goaltender that was previously in net as empty net goals against (abbreviated as EN, ENG or ENA).Empty net goals do not count against a goaltender's goals against average or their save percentage, but rather are tracked separately."
Empty net goal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if wikipedia is to be trusted, you'd be wrong. You see with the pitcher in baseball, the guy let the runner(s) get on and if he comes out and someone else lets them score, he's still responsible for those runs. It simply can't be compared with a hockey goaltender because each situation really isn't comparable.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs is right.. They created a separate state line ENG (Empty Net Goals) so that they would be accounted for, but do not count against the goalie's stats. Just like shootout goals, they don't count as goals for the player (except possibly the GWG stat line?)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any SO goal doesn't go into an individual player's stat line, whether it's a shooter or a goalie. It counts as a team GF for the team that won the SO (i.e., score could be 4-3 SO win but only the deciding goal will go into the team stats) and a GA for the team that lost the SO.

As for GAA, the formula is GA x Minutes Played/60 Minutes (a full game). For example, say a goalie gives up 2 goals, score is 2-1 (they are down), he has made 33 S/35 SA and the coach pulls an Andy Murray and yanks the goalie at the 51:45 mark, his correct GAA would be 2 GA x 51.75 Minutes Played/60 Minutes Per Game = 1.73 GAA and 94.3 SP.

If the opposing team scores into the empty net, the goalie does not have that ENG counted against his stats as stated above but do go into the team GA total on the season.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction, this just popped into my head so I had to stop folding the kids' laundry and get back on here.

=)~~

GAA is calculated by GA x 60 Minutes Per Game/Minutes Played, not the other way around like I posted above. The goalie above would have a GAA of 2 GA x 60 Minutes Per Game/51.75 Minutes Played = 2.31 GAA.