• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT College Football

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How I always understood it was if you have 12 teams you have no choice and have to have a championship. If you have less it's up to the conference president whether or not you have a championship game.

Maybe it changed though, but I remember the Big 10 and Pac 10 having the option to have one but always declined.

Also, what two schools would want to join the Big 12 and make it 12 again? SMU would be a bad choice. UH is pretty mediocre. I don't know much about UTEP.

Could go east and look at schools like UCF and USF.

To my knowledge, this is not correct. You must have 12 teams to have a CCG.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To my knowledge, this is not correct. You must have 12 teams to have a CCG.

I must have misunderstood the rules back then. What a dumb fucking rule. Change that shit and give each conference autonomy to decide how their championship game should be played.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have misunderstood the rules back then. What a dumb fucking rule. Change that shit and give each conference autonomy to decide how their championship game should be played.
If I understand you correctly, that's exactly what the Big 12 did this year. In case of a tie their by-laws state head to head applies as the champion.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or just play by the rules and get 2 more teams

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's pointless. Why further water down the conference because of a weak ass rule? Have two 5 team divisions. Or just take the two best records from the regular season and have them play again. It works the same without needing to add other shitty schools. The NCAA is useless. They create problems where none exist.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I understand you correctly, that's exactly what the Big 12 did this year. In case of a tie their by-laws state head to head applies as the champion.

No, I think they should all have championship games. And not defacto ones either. They should have the freedom to decide how they choose the teams in that championship game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry, but a statement like this shows a lot of ignorance. It's not just a matter of "getting two more teams". There are a lot of considerations involved when bringining teams into a conference and money is a huge part of that. They have to bring something to the table. People always say, "Get Boise State", but they would bring nothing to the table. Bringing any two teams to the table waters down the conference and does more harm than good to the big12.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pointless. Why further water down the conference because of a weak ass rule? Have two 5 team divisions. Or just take the two best records from the regular season and have them play again. It works the same without needing to add other shitty schools. The NCAA is useless. They create problems where none exist.

Exactly.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I didn't think about or remember but for there to be a conference championship game is 12 teams a minimum per NCAA rules to have one? If so that's another idiotic rule however in knowing this I guess the Big 12 should have known so it goes back to them making their bed.

That is exactly right You have to have at least 12 teams.

One thing of note is Ohio St beat Minnesota 31-24 and TCU beat them 30-7. TCU has something like 4 seniors on their team. They will still be very good next year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted earlier I've been in Memphis for the past and the talking heads here are saying the Big 12 is looking at Memphis, and Cincinnati. And then it was further posted rumors of Boise State, BYU or Louisville.

Can't imagine Louisville leaving the ACC.

And romeo is right about "what do these teams/cities bring to the conference?" Boise brings nothing, and Memphis is a wanna be program at best. But Memphis does have a decent TV market. Something BYU doesn't bring to the party.

Anyway, it's just rumors or perhaps BS for now.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but a statement like this shows a lot of ignorance. It's not just a matter of "getting two more teams". There are a lot of considerations involved when bringining teams into a conference and money is a huge part of that. They have to bring something to the table. People always say, "Get Boise State", but they would bring nothing to the table. Bringing any two teams to the table waters down the conference and does more harm than good to the big12.

They did this to themselves, I don't feel sorry for anybody in the Dumpster Fire

I know all the considerations just fine, but it still boils down to they need to get 2 more teams, or they're going to keep having this same problem, b/c they don't have a conference championship

Not having 12 teams cost them a chance at the playoff

And the reason they are having to consider the Boise State's of the world is bc no team worth a damn wants to play in their conference

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted earlier I've been in Memphis for the past and the talking heads here are saying the Big 12 is looking at Memphis, and Cincinnati. And then it was further posted rumors of Boise State, BYU or Louisville.

Can't imagine Louisville leaving the ACC.

And romeo is right about "what do these teams/cities bring to the conference." Boise brings nothing, and Memphis is a wanna be program at best. But Memphis does have a decent TV market. Something BYU doesn't bring to the party.

Anyway, it's just rumors or perhaps BS for now.

Conferences made sense when they were for regional purposes, but now you have conferences covering multiple regions. I just don't know a better way to break up 100+ college football programs into something that makes sense.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did this to themselves, I don't feel sorry for anybody in the Dumpster Fire

I know all the considerations just fine, but it still boils down to they need to get 2 more teams, or they're going to keep having this same problem, b/c they don't have a conference championship

And the reason they are having to consider the Boise State's of the world is bc no team worth a damn wants to play in their conference

Every major conference has 2-3 contending teams and everyone else is fluff from year to year. No conference is immune from that, because there is only so many teams that can compete. And if a school wants a shot at the playoffs they know they have to join a power 5 conference to boost their situation. Would they rather join the SEC and have to play Bama or join the Big 12 and have a easier road?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get it. You're still pissed over the stunts Texas was pulling. Nonetheless, it doesn't change absurdity of your "just get two more teams" mindset.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. You're still pissed over the stunts Texas was pulling. Nonetheless, it doesn't change absurdity of your "just get two more teams" mindset.

Ha, it has nothing to do with that, in all fairness its full of teams I very much dislike, due to old rivalries, so anything bad that happens to them, I don't really care

Point is there were and are quality teams to make the conference more competitive and they've let them slide on by, but they continue to thumb their nose to the system

Regardless, one of two things need to happen, 2 quality teams need to be added or the NCAA needs to relax the conference championship requirement or they are going to have this same problem going forward

I find it funny, bc I've never heard anyone complain about the 12 team requirement until now

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, it has nothing to do with that, in all fairness its full of teams I very much dislike, due to old rivalries, so anything bad that happens to them, I don't really care

Point is there were and are quality teams to make the conference more competitive and they've let them slide on by, but they continue to thumb their nose to the system

Regardless, one of two things need to happen, 2 quality teams need to be added or the NCAA needs to relax the conference championship requirement or they are going to have this same problem going forward

I find it funny, bc I've never heard anyone complain about the 12 team requirement until now

I didn't know there was a 12 team requirement. I seriously misunderstood the rules. That being said the Big 12 Commissioner wouldn't have chosen to have one anyway if it were an option. I have no dog in the fight, but 10 12 14 or whatever you should have a conference championship game. Just makes the most sense.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know there was a 12 team requirement. I seriously misunderstood the rules. That being said the Big 12 Commissioner wouldn't have chosen to have one anyway if it were an option. I have no dog in the fight, but 10 12 14 or whatever you should have a conference championship game. Just makes the most sense.

At this point I'd have to agree, but currently 12 is the minimum and until that changes it means the Big 12 needs 2 more teams

Too many quality teams being held back by a lack of a conference game

I'm sure you've mentioned it before but where did you go to school?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says conference to reconsider how to declare its champion - ESPN

Looks like its in the works:

In a phone interview on the College Football Playoff Selection Show, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN's Rece Davis: "It's clear that we were penalized for not having a postseason championship game. It would have been nice to have been told that ahead of time."

"We have to weigh whether this is substantial enough to add institutions. ... It's certainly a major consideration."

The Big 12 would need to add two teams or have the NCAA approve a waiver to have a conference championship game. The Big 12 has 10 teams, and a conference must have 12 teams to have a conference championship game.