• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop part III

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

Has anybody seen the Mothman around recently?!?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is Evel Knievel, or even Robbie Knievel when you need them?
Maryland-Bridge-Collapse_44745-1880x1052.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if you watch the video, particularly the ones that are sped up for some reason (I guess to make it seem like the ship was moving fast enough to tow skiers), you can see that there is traffic on the bridge, and it stops before impact.

Unfortunately, you can also see work trucks on the bridge that don't get off in time.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's way down the list of important things now but Baltimore traffic is going to be screwed for years. And it was already high on the list of hours lost due to congestion.

It handles significantly less traffic than the Interstate 95 Fort McHenry Tunnel and Interstate 895 Harbor Tunnel Thruway — in 2022, about 38,000 vehicles crossed it on the average workday, according to State Highway Administration data.

That's kind of the good news.

Now the bad:

But the bridge held an outsized importance for freight delivery, handling roughly 1.3 million truck trips per year, it's a vital link to the port. If you break that down daily, it’s more than 3,600 truck trips a day,” Campion said.

Part of that outsized importance is carrying hazardous materials that are not permitted in the I-95 or I-895 tunnels, Campion explained. In the interim, the only alternative for many trucks will be the wide loop around the Baltimore Beltway’s western half.

Screenshot_20240326_224057_Facebook.jpg

Right now I have been going into my office 2 days a week. Even before this two weeks ago one commute home was 2 hours - usually an hour each way.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unconfirmed reports have Kevin O'Leary's wife at the captain's wheel of that cargo ship earlier this morning in Baltimore harbor.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's way down the list of important things now but Baltimore traffic is going to be screwed for years. And it was already high on the list of hours lost due to congestion.
It's crazy on the best of days. My last job before I left there I lived 23 miles from my office. On a good day it was 50 minutes. If it rained or (God Forbid) snowed it could be an hour and a half. And that was all backroads. If I tried the highways for that drive it would be an hour and a half on a good day. When I lived in Bel Air and worked in Crofton, I was usually early enough that I could make that drive in an hour-ish as well, but a major part of that was the Key Bridge. Just losing the bridge and having to take the 895 tunnel would add 10 or so miles to that drive, and the 895 tunnel was always backed up on it's own. That's probably a 2 hour commute now.

It takes a toll on a person. And you don't realize it until you don't have to do it anymore. I can get downtown at rush hour from my house in 25 minutes. Just this morning I took Mrs 43 to the airport which is 15 or so miles away and was back home before she got through security.

I was thinking about the hazmat stuff last night. Adding all those trucks to 695 on the west side between I-70 and Reisterstown road is gonna be insane. The traffic backup there started in 1978 and is still going. I don't think I have ever been through there when it isn't stop and go.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's crazy on the best of days. My last job before I left there I lived 23 miles from my office. On a good day it was 50 minutes. If it rained or (God Forbid) snowed it could be an hour and a half. And that was all backroads. If I tried the highways for that drive it would be an hour and a half on a good day. When I lived in Bel Air and worked in Crofton, I was usually early enough that I could make that drive in an hour-ish as well, but a major part of that was the Key Bridge. Just losing the bridge and having to take the 895 tunnel would add 10 or so miles to that drive, and the 895 tunnel was always backed up on it's own. That's probably a 2 hour commute now.

It takes a toll on a person. And you don't realize it until you don't have to do it anymore. I can get downtown at rush hour from my house in 25 minutes. Just this morning I took Mrs 43 to the airport which is 15 or so miles away and was back home before she got through security.

I was thinking about the hazmat stuff last night. Adding all those trucks to 695 on the west side between I-70 and Reisterstown road is gonna be insane. The traffic backup there started in 1978 and is still going. I don't think I have ever been through there when it isn't stop and go.
I rarely used the Key Bridge on my commutes unless things were awful because it took me about 10-12 miles out of my way. Occasionally for my sanity I would take it just because it was moving. The traffic and trucks it handled joining the other routes is going to be....something

My commute without traffic is 35-40 minutes but its usually 50-55. Often much more. If something happens on 95 I'm basically screwed. I have to go through one of the tunnels - the west side beltway or going through the city are just not viable options.

Post pandemic, and after a slight job shift - luckily I am only in the office a couple times a week. More if there is equipment to touch (no HR jokes) sometimes not at all on a given week. My co-worker while not technically my boss but is the team lead likes to go in a few days a week to get out of his house and away from his wife and kids. He lives west so he can get to the office without using 95 or a tunnel so he can get there much easier and cheaper. I sometimes get grief from him and I know eventually its going to be an issue...but so far I just smile and say "our manager says we don't have to make appearances, come in when we have to".......I just do not want to be in my car inching forward 2+ hours a day any more than I have to.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see, that's the biggest issue with most right wing jerks, to make good, funny jokes, it takes some intelligence and that's in short supply with their ilk.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it's pretty funny that the Babylon Bee is experiencing backlash this week for making a joke about white supremacists. i guess Seth Dillion doesn't realize that when you cultivate a white supremacist following, those followers are hypersensitive to those kind of jokes.