• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop part III

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Jenkins stole my iced tea out of the work refrigerator a few months ago. Today he finally wandered away from his desk without locking his laptop. I opened his Facebook page, "as him" posted a drawing I did that kind of looks like Ted Danson, and added the caption "My drawing of the Prophet Muhammad".
So far it's been quiet.
I meant to talk to him about it today, but he never showed for work today. :noidea:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad cutting the cable has made everything so much easier.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit the nail on the head:

MOAR TELEVISION

y5dryqJ.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad cutting the cable has made everything so much easier.

TV: Went from cable to cord cutting and streaming to bundled streaming which is essentially cable.

Music: Went from album sales to pirating to online microsales to streaming for a subscription.

Movies: Everything is Marvel and it costs $200 to take a family of 4 to the theatre.

Video games: Overpriced cartridges are now subscriptions where your kids steal your credit card to buy a digital HIMARS.

Honestly, they've made it easy for everybody to say fuck it and spend more time outside or read books. I say do it.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV: Went from cable to cord cutting and streaming to bundled streaming which is essentially cable.

Music: Went from album sales to pirating to online microsales to streaming for a subscription.

Movies: Everything is Marvel and it costs $200 to take a family of 4 to the theatre.

Video games: Overpriced cartridges are now subscriptions where your kids steal your credit card to buy a digital HIMARS.

Honestly, they've made it easy for everybody to say fuck it and spend more time outside or read books. I say do it.

This experience ties into my frustrations with cable and internet providers.

We had Telus Smart Home Security (which, in my opinion, is far from smart) and were paying $50 a month. Here’s what we found out:

The security system claims that the police will be dispatched when your alarm goes off. However, in reality, it’s a contracted security company that won't enter your property if it’s broken into and typically takes 2-3 hours to respond. The only way they send police is if you’re home, hit the panic button, and can somehow prove you are in danger.

So, we called to cancel.

They wouldn’t let me cancel since I wasn’t on the contract (even though they allowed me to upgrade equipment without being on the contract) and made my wife call them.

They then proceeded to ask her the most personal questions imaginable: How old are you? Are you strong? Are you alone at home most days and nights? Do you have pets, and are they large and aggressive? The representative even commented on my wife having a nice name (seriously?!), and tried to convince her how unsafe she’d be without their security system.

We cancelled.

We complained.

A manager called us back and said the only thing she felt crossed a line was the "nice name" comment, but claimed all those questions are used to gather data.

We spoke to a retired Telus employee, a friend of ours, who said Telus customer service is trained to do a few things during calls. For security, they try to make you feel as uneasy and unsafe as possible. For TV/Internet complaints, they try to exhaust you by leaving you on hold for 30 to 45 minutes intentionally to break you down and tire you out from arguing until you just agree to a lesser deal, which has proven incredibly successful for them over the years.

The only way to beat these companies is to stop using them. If you want any form of internet/TV/entertainment from that type of source, you’ll never escape these tactics.

Honestly, going outside to read a book seems more entertaining every day. The video games I play don’t require a subscription, and while I don’t get the extra perks, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of them.

We bought a RING system and pay $12 a month for better service and technology

Last edited:

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime I have to call and deal with my cable/Internet provider I always start the call with I work for the company (which I do) so don’t try to sell me anything, you’re only wasting your time

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We had Telus Smart Home Security (which, in my opinion, is far from smart) and were paying $50 a month. Here’s what we found out:

The security system claims that the police will be dispatched when your alarm goes off. However, in reality, it’s a contracted security company that won't enter your property if it’s broken into and typically takes 2-3 hours to respond. The only way they send police is if you’re home, hit the panic button, and can somehow prove you are in danger.

So, we called to cancel.

They wouldn’t let me cancel since I wasn’t on the contract (even though they allowed me to upgrade equipment without being on the contract) and made my wife call them.

They then proceeded to ask her the most personal questions imaginable: How old are you? Are you strong? Are you alone at home most days and nights? Do you have pets, and are they large and aggressive? The representative even commented on my wife having a nice name (seriously?!), and tried to convince her how unsafe she’d be without their security system.

We cancelled.

We complained.

A manager called us back and said the only thing she felt crossed a line was the "nice name" comment, but claimed all those questions are used to gather data.

We spoke to a retired Telus employee, a friend of ours, who said Telus customer service is trained to do a few things during calls. For security, they try to make you feel as uneasy and unsafe as possible. For TV/Internet complaints, they try to exhaust you by leaving you on hold for 30 to 45 minutes intentionally to break you down and tire you out from arguing until you just agree to a lesser deal, which has proven incredibly successful for them over the years.

The only way to beat these companies is to stop using them. If you want any form of internet/TV/entertainment from that type of source, you’ll never escape these tactics.

Honestly, going outside to read a book seems more entertaining every day. The video games I play don’t require a subscription, and while I don’t get the extra perks, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of them.

Yeah when I moved into a new house there was an existing Telus Home Security on it and they asked me if I wanted to keep it for $50/m. Easy no. Alarm systems are pretty much useless.

Just upgraded to a sentry tower on the roof. That'll keep those mormons outta here.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah when I moved into a new house there was an existing Telus Home Security on it and they asked me if I wanted to keep it for $50/m. Easy no. Alarm systems are pretty much useless.

Just upgraded to a sentry tower on the roof. That'll keep those mormons outta here.
Sentry Tower?

1720799634647.pnglol

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, we called to cancel.

We cancelled.

We complained.

Were you with ADT Canada and rolled into Telus after they bought ADT? I was (am). The only contact I have had with Telus about this account is phoning in my name and credit card # to get the recurring autopayment set up. I gave them my name and yet they MAIL (mail??? wtf ?) us the monthly invoice addressed to "Mr Valued Customer".

Cancelling or sourcing a lower cost monitoring company is on my to do list lol The monitoring centre is like $10 a month. I kind of dont want to abandon the legacy system I currently have installed with wired contact sensors (even though I probably should :noidea: ). With each change we have made to our house over the years I have run the security wiring to move window and door contacts. Ive come into a bit of a pickle now with our recent addition that I want to change an old window contact sensor into a motion sensor and you can't just attach the motion sensor on the wire ... you have to change the wiring setup in the security control panel and that visually looks like a beast to do. Youtube vids show how to do it but I dont want too mess with the mess of thin gauge wires in there.

So i was going to call Telus Security to book a tech to come do this ... I told my GC about this and he said "you dont want to do that" ... said that was considered an equipment upgrade and it automatically puts me on a contract. :L

If they give me any flack when/if I call in to cancel service and tell me I have a contract I will let them know they have a contract with "Mr Valued Customer" not me :noidea:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you with ADT Canada and rolled into Telus after they bought ADT? I was (am). The only contact I have had with Telus about this account is phoning in my name and credit card # to get the recurring autopayment set up. I gave them my name and yet they MAIL (mail??? wtf ?) us the monthly invoice addressed to "Mr Valued Customer".

Cancelling or sourcing a lower cost monitoring company is on my to do list lol The monitoring centre is like $10 a month. I kind of dont want to abandon the legacy system I currently have installed with wired contact sensors (even though I probably should :noidea: ). With each change we have made to our house over the years I have run the security wiring to move window and door contacts. Ive come into a bit of a pickle now with our recent addition that I want to change an old window contact sensor into a motion sensor and you can't just attach the motion sensor on the wire ... you have to change the wiring setup in the security control panel and that visually looks like a beast to do. Youtube vids show how to do it but I dont want too mess with the mess of thin gauge wires in there.

So i was going to call Telus Security to book a tech to come do this ... I told my GC about this and he said "you dont want to do that" ... said that was considered an equipment upgrade and it automatically puts me on a contract. :L

If they give me any flack when/if I call in to cancel service and tell me I have a contract I will let them know they have a contract with "Mr Valued Customer" not me :noidea:

We were with Alarm Force who they also bought out so we were legacy when we switched over and ran $35 a month for most of the time until the last year when it jumped to $50... The Original House alarm was wired in and so old that we removed it but left the old motion sensors and panels in case someone broke in and mistook that for the alarm lol we eventually removed those as well and control 99% of it by App

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBB ready for his starring role in a Red Dawn reboot :D
You may not be concerned about the impending invasion from Alberta over there on that island but I sure as hell am. Saw way too many Oilers flags on the back of lift kitted pickups last month to rest easily.