• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone know the backstory on this? Why are (many?) pools closed in Baltimore?

We used to have a pool in our neighborhood that we would always jump the fence on when we were kids. When the city permanently closed it (budget reasons they said) there was a 2 week window when they still had water in it and when it got dark, we had it to ourselves. And then they drained it and the skateboarders took over ... and finally they filled it and I get sad when I drive by it now and see the pool foundation which still remains :pout:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the looks of that water those kids will wind up looking like the fish from the Simpsons
Still cleaner than the harbor and bay.

anyone know the backstory on this? Why are (many?) pools closed in Baltimore?
Going way back, not sure if still the situation but Baltimore spends very little on making things habitable in much of the city. The neighborhoods where the rich white people still are probably get proper maintenance, but everything else... not so much. Used to be a huge problem in the heat because just about every street had an fire hydrant someone opened for people to cool off in but it caused massive water pressure drops city wide which made fighting fires harder. Plus I imagine they have a hard time finding people to work at the pools.

There was a rec center near where my mom lived in the city that had part of the roof collapse. They just boarded up the room when the roof came down and left the rest open for a few months before the condemned and leveled it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going way back, not sure if still the situation but Baltimore spends very little on making things habitable in much of the city. The neighborhoods where the rich white people still are probably get proper maintenance, but everything else... not so much. Used to be a huge problem in the heat because just about every street had an fire hydrant someone opened for people to cool off in but it caused massive water pressure drops city wide which made fighting fires harder. Plus I imagine they have a hard time finding people to work at the pools.

There was a rec center near where my mom lived in the city that had part of the roof collapse. They just boarded up the room when the roof came down and left the rest open for a few months before the condemned and leveled it.

Recs and Parks' goal is to reopen the Lake Clifton pool this summer. Cherry Hill and Patterson Park pools are undergoing renovations and will not reopen until Summer 2024.

1) "Recs and Parks"? Fucking hipster ass government.

2) Not sure if those are considered poor areas but on Street View I didn't see Comeds nearby so..

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Recs and Parks' goal is to reopen the Lake Clifton pool this summer. Cherry Hill and Patterson Park pools are undergoing renovations and will not reopen until Summer 2024.

1) "Recs and Parks"? Fucking hipster ass government.

2) Not sure if those are considered poor areas but on Street View I didn't see Comeds nearby so..
Cherry hill is not a place you want to go. Ever.

Patterson Park isn't all that great, and used to be filled with old school racists who used to work at the docks. There was a major gentrification effort around the time I left MD. But the yuppies chose Fells Point and Federal Hill instead. There was a rink in Patterson Park. I played roller hockey there one summer.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
oops MSN

Stanford University president announces resignation over concerns about his research​

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently I did not act up enough on location to get out of my on location assignments this week. So here I am sitting in a lobby wearing a full Thor* costume. Waiting for a call to see where to report to tomorrow.

*I was going to wear my Greatest American Hero costume but it's a little tight "downstairs" and I did not want Becca from corporate compliance to see me like that. Not until I am ready.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Believe it or not Comeds is on the job,
the uniform is not to ti-ii--iiight
the Thor costume sufficiently hides his knob
until Becca is in the right liiiiiight

what can she seee??
"believe it or not, that's all me"

tumblr_oejdv2kA9H1re6c9lo3_540.gif