• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bearcats

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice route by Sanu in the slot there. needs to hold it, but nice to see him where he's supposed to be thanks to Wright figuring out his job.

bphillips4gg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made a late run, but the game was clearly over.

They just don't have a guy on the wing that consistently attackes the paint and opens things up. They resort way too much on 55 passes outside the arc and then launching a poor shot as the clock winds down.

Well they've been doing that since Mick got here.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they've been doing that since Mick got here.

I love the way Mick's teams play defense. But would it destroy the defense to recruit just one guy who can shoot????????????????????????????

bphillips4gg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the way Mick's teams play defense. But would it destroy the defense to recruit just one guy who can shoot????????????????????????????

I'd rather see a guy that can penetrate into the paint consistently. Even mediocre shooters would be passable if it was off of passes when the defense has collapsed. Think Devin Downey. That's what I want.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see a guy that can penetrate into the paint consistently. Even mediocre shooters would be passable if it was off of passes when the defense has collapsed. Think Devin Downey. That's what I want.

Ideally, that's the best role that Shaq would fit.

Unfortunately, I think he's just not aggressive enough. This team needs him to assert himself in the lane off the dribble. Be a little selfish. He is a huge key that would unlock the offense inside/out by driving and kicking.

If someone doesn't fill this role, the offense will continue to suck.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again..... I'm not sure what you guys see in this group.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again..... I'm not sure what you guys see in this group.

Caupain, Johnson, Ellis, Moore, Clark, Cobb

All very talented and show it. They need a guy that can get into the paint, though, to open up the offense.

They have two more 4* guys coming next year as well. The talent is going to be there...I knew going in to this season it was going to be a transition year. This group is in need of experience to develop more consistency, which means a lot of bumps in the road as they learn.

I still agree, though, that it would be nice to recruit a guy who is just known as a flat out scorer, but this group of Freshman and Soph's have the look of a very good group (Including Ellis).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good rebound win. Finally cracked 70pts, and shot the ball well.

It's amazing how much this offense opens up when Shaq finally attacks the paint. Even if he doesn't get his shots, it opens up the put-back by drawing multiple defenders, opens up the dump pass underneath, or the kick-out for an open look.

It was stony-brook, so big grain of salt, but at least he attacked last night, unlike any night before.

Clark continues to be a beast. That kid is going to be special. Mark it.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in other words, it took Stony Brook for the Bearcats to crack 70. Couldn't do it vs St Francis, Eastern Illinois or NC Central.

Promising.....This looks like a long season.......

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good college basketball teams thrive on senior leadership(unless you're Kentucky or Duke or Kansas and always get the top freshmen each year). Where the hell is UC's leadership coming from?

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good college basketball teams thrive on senior leadership(unless you're Kentucky or Duke or Kansas and always get the top freshmen each year). Where the hell is UC's leadership coming from?

Um....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in other words, it took Stony Brook for the Bearcats to crack 70. Couldn't do it vs St Francis, Eastern Illinois or NC Central.

Promising.....This looks like a long season.......

It's a transition season for sure. I've said that all along. Seven new players who did not play at UC last year have been added to the mix. You lose an All-American, and 3 big time senior guys, and it has an impact. Memphis has the same situation, they lost more offense than UC...65% of Memphis' offense left, and look where they are, and who they've lost to, and yet many would say that Memphis has a much more 'talented' team.

There's no doubt there are going to be a lot of growing pains, but there is talent on this team. It might be the most talented group Mick has had at UC. Now, we'll see what he can do to draw it out, and translate it into wins come stretch time.

A recruiting quirk basically meant that 1 whole class year is nearly skipped with this team. If you remember, there was one year where Cronin had like 7 freshman signed. That's thinned out over the years as a few of those have left UC, or ended up red-shirting, but your point is valid.

There are only 2 seniors, Guyn and Sanders. Both are bench guys. The guy that needs to continue to step up and open the offense up is Shaq. The Mid-range offense is his game, and when he's aggressive like last night, it opens up a lot more on offense and prevents them from simply passing the ball around the outside and chucking up a bad, last second, shot.

Next year, you'll have a much better balance...4 seniors and 3 Jrs who will all have impact on the team: Ellis, Thomas, Cobb and DeBerry as Sr's and Caupain, Moorman, and Johnson as Jrs. You can throw in Clark as a Soph, as he's already starting as a true freshman, and is only expected to get better and better.

This year may have some big bumps, but I expect it to pay off down the road, and especially looking at next year. Expectations are pretty low for this year, but the AAC isn't exactly teeming with big time teams...UC could have a shot to stay near the top.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Low expectations can be a good thing.......

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Low expectations can be a good thing.......

The realization is...this team is young and not very smart on the defensive end. The things that have carried UC the past 3-4 years (Defense, rebounding, out-hustling teams) are not second nature to this group yet. They are very young, but they show a lot of promise. Like I said, we'll see how they look around the start of February, and the stretch run. The development, or lack there of, will tell us a lot. But the talent is there.

We'll see. I'm not booking them for the NCAA's right now. They'll have a shot depending on how well the defense comes along in league play, and if they can get anyone on offense to find some continuity/aggression outside of Ellis and Clark.

The low post is solid...but without someone to take the pressure off by drawing defenders into/away from the paint (opening up dump passes for easy layups, or kickouts for open shots) it's not going to matter. They'll look exactly like they did against Ole Miss...25 passes outside the 3pt line, and a hurried shot with 2 seconds on the clock.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was embarrassing. Fuck sake.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems unfair that a team from the American has to automatically qualify for the tourney.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was brutal.

The guys they need to step up, just flat out aren't able to do so. Shaq is afraid of his own damn shadow. Sanders is worthless and shouldn't even be given playing time. He can't rebound, score, or defend...his occasional 3 isn't enough to warrant any real time.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq should not be playing at all.