• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Baseball Playoff Thread

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you tell me who exactly the Phillies "bought"? Cliff Lee is the only argument you can make, and even with him he TURNED DOWN more money to play here.

Lets See, Roy Halladay. We traded A+++ talent to get him. Hunter Pence, traded A+ talent to get him. Chase, Jimmy, Howard, Victorino, Hamels, Madson. All came up through the minor leagues and developed.

Just because our GM spends smart unlike teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, doesn't mean we are buying wins. Yea our payroll is high, because we are now paying the players we developed ourselves and traded the players we developed ourselves.

A lot of teams still can't do that. There are many teams that can't sign the tallent they bring up because their owner can't pay that much. When all the Braves young tallent they have right now, they won't be able to sign ALL of them.

As far as Roy Halladay deal, you traded someone who is currently on your team so you didn't give up anything. Hunter Pence deal, gave up prospects but somehow you were able to keep Brown. Without Lee, I wouldn't say it was buying, but the fact the person you gave up for Halladay came back makes it buying, atleast IMO. Plus it makes me a bit mad that you were able to do it haha

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Ritari...

You got in your daily quota of anti-Philles comments. I rebutted. Game over.

To keep going on and on is completely useless. Fair enough?

But I like Arguments :becky:

Yeah, just because I don't like the Phillies doesn't mean I don't like you Tox :D

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A lot of teams still can't do that. There are many teams that can't sign the tallent they bring up because their owner can't pay that much. When all the Braves young tallent they have right now, they won't be able to sign ALL of them.

As far as Roy Halladay deal, you traded someone who is currently on your team so you didn't give up anything. Hunter Pence deal, gave up prospects but somehow you were able to keep Brown. Without Lee, I wouldn't say it was buying, but the fact the person you gave up for Halladay came back makes it buying, atleast IMO. Plus it makes me a bit mad that you were able to do it haha

I never consider it "buying" if a team trades away the future for the present. To me, Buying is blowing a free agent out of the water so that no other team can even compete with your offer (except sos, yanks, few others).

Lee was a 3 team race so yea, I consider that a big buy. At the same time though, he had an opportunity to go elsewhere for more money. Good management is what brought him here.

Pence/Halladay - we traded MAJOR prospects. The Halladay deal depleted our farm. What was left our our farm developed and broke out. Then we traded those guys. Dom Brown is all that remains. Thats is a lot to give up for just 2 players. We aren't buying, we are just trading the future for the preset.

All that said, our team is pretty old and players will go on. I think the Phillies will be a team that "buys" in the future when this current squad is gone. Our owners have opened up their wallets and our farm is depleted. If they want to compete in the near future, we will have to start throwing money around.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An encouraging historical note for Tigers fans: the only other time these two teams met in the postseason was in the 2006 ALDS. In that series, the Yankees scored eight runs in Game 1, thanks in part to the 10 total bases collected by MVP-candidate middle-infielder Derek Jeter, to pick up a victory behind a compelling, homegrown, second-year starter in Chien-Ming Wang. The Tigers then swept the next three games to win the series. In Game 1 of this series, the Yankees scored nine runs, thanks in part to eight total bases from MVP-candidate middle-infielder Robinson Cano, the most by a Yankee in a playoff game since Jeter's performance above, and picked up the victory behind compelling, homegrown, second-year starter Ivan Nova. Will history continue to repeat itself?

Read more: Previewing Tigers-Yankees, Diamondbacks-Brewers and Cardinals-Phillies playoff games - Cliff Corcoran - SI.com

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers at Yankees

Series: ALDS, Game 2, Yankees lead 1-0
Time: 3:07 p.m. EST
TV: TNT
Starters: Max Scherzer (15-9, 4.43 ERA) vs. Freddy Garcia (12-8, 3.62 ERA)

Yanks same lineup as last night/Fri. Jeter, Grandy, Cano, A-Rod, Teixeira, Swisher, Posada, Martin, Gardner.

Lineup today with Scherzer pitching. Jackson, Ordonez, Young, Cabrera, Martinez, Avila, Peralta, Betemit, Santiago

GO TIGERS!!!

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK Scherzer, I predicted yesterday that you would fold under the pressure. Prove me wrong!

GO TIGERS!

Last edited by a moderator:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I just said "I could go for a home run here." and Cabrera goes "deep!"*

*deep is in quotation marks, because that barely got over the right field wall.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 out of 10 hits Cabrera has against Garcia are homers. That's a scary stat.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin Jackson with yet another Ausome catch!

Yes, I did.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer can't find the plate...but gets bailed out.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Jacob_Turner22 Jacob Turner
Where did TNT find their K zone monitor?! Making the umpires look right only about 50% of the time.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer hitting 98 on the gun?!? That's throwing some cheese.