• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: 6th grader brings gun to school

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's a rhetorical question. The guy could pull out his laser beam cannon, I'm still thanking him for saving my life...

Point is ban guns and you are dead in that situation. Because that mad man will still get a gun if he wants one.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Assault weapons, not just rifles. I'm certainly not the most qualified to classify those weapons. But I would say semi-auto/auto with more than a 10 shot capacity? I'm not really the person who should be drawing those lines, but there is a line where a firearm moves beyond home protection or hunting.

Once it's a toy and not a tool the potential risk (unlikely but incalculably costly) far outweighs the potential benefits (recreation).

Ok full auto is not legal for you or me to just go buy. Yet criminals still have them. See the point. Ban as much as you want. Criminals will still get them. I don't mind laws that would make me get tested mentally or take educational classes first. Doesn't bother me a bit. But when you talk about banning guns lets look at what is already banned and if it works.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok full auto is not legal for you or me to just go buy. Yet criminals still have them. See the point. Ban as much as you want. Criminals will still get them. I don't mind laws that would make me get tested mentally or take educational classes first. Doesn't bother me a bit. But when you talk about banning guns lets look at what is already banned and if it works.

I see that all you have to say is you don't think we could do anything effective so we shouldn't try anything. I don't have the solution, but I'd rather explore potential solutions than concluding nothing would work so people can keep their toys.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Banning guns would just be a waste of money, man power, and overcrowd prisons more then they already are.

A gun ban wouldn't have stopped that shooting because if the guy was really bent on going on a shooting spree he would've been able to acquire the guns through illegal means and done the exact same thing.

We have plenty of laws forbidding drugs but I'm sure if I really wanted to I would have no problem obtaining any drug I wanted and that would be the same with guns.

If a drunk driver slammed into a bus full of kids causing 30 of them to die would their be a rush to ban alcohol? I seriously doubt it.

They only way you might prevent a mass shooting is to be more on top of mental health and illness and the warning signs. All these shooting have the same thing in common and that's something is wrong in these people's head.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that all you have to say is you don't think we could do anything effective so we shouldn't try anything. I don't have the solution, but I'd rather explore potential solutions than concluding nothing would work so people can keep their toys.

It sounds like your argument is that you don't want to think critically about a complex situation, so you want to take an oversimplified "solution" and try it out for the fuck of it.

VIOLENCE is the problem, not just guns. What about the failing school system, failing economy, failing parents? A 6th grader in Utah was just recently arrested because his parents gave him a gun to take to school because of what happened in Conn. The kid wound up getting upset and pulling the gun on 2 girls and threatening to blow them away. The kid is going to be prosecuted, but he's fucking 11. Any idea who is to blame for this scenario? (the answer may surprise you: the parents)

I actually support certain restrictions in gun ownership, mostly that people should be forced to learn how to use guns properly, but to outright ban guns is asinine.

Cars kill people too, but we aren't banning cars. Cigarettes aren't illegal. Alcohol isn't illegal. McDonalds isn't illegal. But apparently common sense is illegal.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banning guns would just be a waste of money, man power, and overcrowd prisons more then they already are.

A gun ban wouldn't have stopped that shooting because if the guy was really bent on going on a shooting spree he would've been able to acquire the guns through illegal means and done the exact same thing.

We have plenty of laws forbidding drugs but I'm sure if I really wanted to I would have no problem obtaining any drug I wanted and that would be the same with guns.

If a drunk driver slammed into a bus full of kids causing 30 of them to die would their be a rush to ban alcohol? I seriously doubt it.

They only way you might prevent a mass shooting is to be more on top of mental health and illness and the warning signs. All these shooting have the same thing in common and that's something is wrong in these people's head.

Wow, that's an interesting perspective I've never heard before... thanks for your insight. (not being sarcastic)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not necessarily. But anyway, lets not make it easy for him by having him just be able to walk over to his mm's cupboard and get them, right? Even the most ardent supporter of guns has to see that any kind of enforced gun control law makes it more difficult for these clowns to get weapons like that.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stop that now! Making logical arguments is not allowed where the gun lobby folks are concerned.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. But anyway, lets not make it easy for him by having him just be able to walk over to his mm's cupboard and get them, right? Even the most ardent supporter of guns has to see that any kind of enforced gun control law makes it more difficult for these clowns to get weapons like that.

I agree about the easy access being a problem. She should have had her firearms locked in a gun safe.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

This times a million. Mental health problems are the reasons for these shootings. Banning guns does nothing to solve a problem just makes you feel good I side untill it happens again.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Stop that now! Making logical arguments is not allowed where the gun lobby folks are concerned.

See the problem with that statement is I do have a suggestion but since it doesn't fit your agenda, it doesn't count.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A problem with banning guns is that it's a short sighted solution to a cultural problem. An across the board ban isn't much more than a defense for politicians after a mass murder, that way they can say "well, we tried! Guns are illegal, so society has no responsibility in this matter!"

Last edited by a moderator:

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like your argument is that you don't want to think critically about a complex situation, so you want to take an oversimplified "solution" and try it out for the fuck of it.

VIOLENCE is the problem, not just guns. What about the failing school system, failing economy, failing parents? A 6th grader in Utah was just recently arrested because his parents gave him a gun to take to school because of what happened in Conn. The kid wound up getting upset and pulling the gun on 2 girls and threatening to blow them away. The kid is going to be prosecuted, but he's fucking 11. Any idea who is to blame for this scenario? (the answer may surprise you: the parents)

I actually support certain restrictions in gun ownership, mostly that people should be forced to learn how to use guns properly, but to outright ban guns is asinine.

Cars kill people too, but we aren't banning cars. Cigarettes aren't illegal. Alcohol isn't illegal. McDonalds isn't illegal. But apparently common sense is illegal.

I'm not ignoring other aspects of the problem for the sakes of targeting guns, not matter how many paragraphs of words you try to put in my mouth. You are ignoring guns as part of the problem because you don't want anyone to take your toys.

No matter how many other subjects you want to pivot to, you can't escape a failure to justify ordinary citizens owning assault weapons.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ignoring other aspects of the problem for the sakes of targeting guns, not matter how many paragraphs of words you try to put in my mouth. You are ignoring guns as part of the problem because you don't want anyone to take your toys.

No matter how many other subjects you want to pivot to, you can't escape a failure to justify ordinary citizens owning assault weapons.

Did you know there is a federal ban on assault weapons?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

What do you consider an assault weapon?

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you consider an assault weapon?

I answered it earlier in the thread the best I could, admittedly not well as most of weapons classifications are beyond my knowledge.

I'd be more curious to hear how you define them and then how you could possibly justify someone owning one. Recreation is not worth the potential risks, no matter how unlikely.