• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused about the context of the Tim Peel comment. Did he...
(1) Say this off the bat, like "fuck Nashville, I'm giving them a penalty" or
(2) Miss a penalty call earlier and they gave a MAKEUP call on a borderline play

Because if it's the first then I get him being fired. But if it's the second, then I don't understand what's wrong with it since it honestly brings the penalties in a game more into balance overall. I sometimes think watching the Caps 'we got away with one possibly there and should be careful' (or if reversed, my team will probably get a call soon for anything close). It's like awarding half penalties and while it's not in the rulebook, it actually delivers a more accurate and just referee job by the end of the game b/c penalties are not always certain as evidenced by our many conversations here even AFTER slow mo where some see no penalty, some see a penalty, and others see a suspendable offense.

What I CAN'T stand is SITUATIONAL refereeing where a ref does NOT make a call on an obvious penalty because of the state of the game. An example might be that with only 7 minutes left the ref doesn't blow the whistle on an obvious Tripping because the game is tied and it's very late in the game. That actually works against a fair/just referee job because it makes the time sequencing of penalty (or lack thereof) arbitrarily important. A makeup is NOT arbitary by contrast.

I just can't tell from the reporting on this whether this situation is 1 or 2 above. And I think that makes a big difference.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused about the context of the Tim Peel comment. Did he...
(1) Say this off the bat, like "fuck Nashville, I'm giving them a penalty" or
(2) Miss a penalty call earlier and they gave a MAKEUP call on a borderline play

Because if it's the first then I get him being fired. But if it's the second, then I don't understand what's wrong with it since it honestly brings the penalties in a game more into balance overall. I sometimes think watching the Caps 'we got away with one possibly there and should be careful' (or if reversed, my team will probably get a call soon for anything close). It's like awarding half penalties and while it's not in the rulebook, it actually delivers a more accurate and just referee job by the end of the game b/c penalties are not always certain as evidenced by our many conversations here even AFTER slow mo where some see no penalty, some see a penalty, and others see a suspendable offense.

What I CAN'T stand is SITUATIONAL refereeing where a ref does NOT make a call on an obvious penalty because of the state of the game. An example might be that with only 7 minutes left the ref doesn't blow the whistle on an obvious Tripping because the game is tied and it's very late in the game. That actually works against a fair/just referee job because it makes the time sequencing of penalty (or lack thereof) arbitrarily important. A makeup is NOT arbitary by contrast.

I just can't tell from the reporting on this whether this situation is 1 or 2 above. And I think that makes a big difference.
I can’t really agree with you on the makeup call thing, but your second paragraph is absolutely spot on. I can’t stand hearing that BS that a ref shouldn’t call a penalty in a situation like you describe.

“Oh, we don’t want the refs influencing the game”

umm, by refusing to call a penalty on an obvious, blatant penalty just because it’s tied or a team is down one late in the third, that’s exactly what you’re doing. You ARE influencing the game. :L

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sure like to get McDavid out of Edmonton, but that's not going to happen lol
I’d like to see him anywhere else because it just seems like such a waste him playing there.

Well, maybe not Arizona either...but anywhere else

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we were all under the impression that Philly had finally figured out their goaltending...

giphy.gif

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the last good goalie for Philly? Was it Hextall? Pelle Lindbergh was very good before his tragic car accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.