• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's worse is he did it in a closed Facebook group that he frequents to answer questions goalies have about equipment and gameplay lol. So not only was it in a forum he did something pretty cool in, it wasn't public as opposed to, say, Morgan Rielly who made a "not here to be a girl about it" comment post-game last year and wasn't punished at all.

If they want to sit him a game or two, fine. I think Bibeau is getting most of the starts these days at Ricoh anyway. Indefinitely? That's a bit overboard.

You can't go threatening anonymous people on social media like that. I would think that "don't let random shit written on the Internet bother you to the point of letting it affect your life and your livelihood" is a general lesson well worth teaching in professional sports these days.

Is it better than if he'd threatened some anonymous guy for no reason? Sure. But that doesn't mean there isn't still something to be learned here. I mean, he was a moderator in the forum. If it's worth randomly threatening him over it's worth banning him over, so just do that instead.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't go threatening anonymous people on social media like that. I would think that "don't let random shit written on the Internet bother you to the point of letting it affect your life and your livelihood" is a general lesson well worth teaching in professional sports these days.

Is it better than if he'd threatened some anonymous guy for no reason? Sure. But that doesn't mean there isn't still something to be learned here. I mean, he was a moderator in the forum. If it's worth randomly threatening him over it's worth banning him over, so just do that instead.
Okay, so what should the punishment be for writing "I'd like to take you to centre ice and beat you to a pulp"? A game?

Suspending him indefinitely is ludicrous. Andrew Shaw got one game for using a legit slur on an official FFS.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This world is too pathetically PC.

I got clickbaited on the headline, "SPARKS SUSPENDED FOR NSFW SOCIAL MEDIA RANT"

My reaction to the title was, "Oh this is gonna be something Trump related..." or "He used some sort of Anti-gay slang..." Then it's, "oh, he said the F word once...and oh, he said girls cry and he would fight a guy at drop in for being a dick....suspended indefinitely? Awesome world."

Ehh I wouldn't state article titles like this are pathetically PC it is more sensationalism to get the clickbait. Since there are WAY too many so called "news" sites on the internet they all put out these headlines to get the traffic.

Anyway his rant (I am using that word loosely because it wasn't), but yeah I get the suspension (maybe a game) but not indefinitely.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bloodbath in Florida. Gerard Gallant and the entire coaching staff fired after the loss to Carolina.

This is as cold-blooded as it gets:

That was a stupid move.

Gallant is going to be back in a job very quickly.

And by all accounts, my team should have been looking for a coach about now. Dangit.

Okay, so what should the punishment be for writing "I'd like to take you to centre ice and beat you to a pulp"? A game?

Suspending him indefinitely is ludicrous. Andrew Shaw got one game for using a legit slur on an official FFS.

There's usually more to stories than the surface. My guess is he's got other disciplinary issues and they are using that incident to rid themselves of him.

Remember, Al Capone went to prison for tax evasion. OJ is in jail for stealing memorabilia.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh, the context of the "threat" even cheapens it more for me.

He didn't say, "I'll see you in the streets bitch!" or "Give me your address, I'll fuck you up!", he said he'd rough someone up during a medium where roughing up is "fair game". It's like a boxer saying to a troll, "See me in the ring if..."

Then again, this league has shown it's been pussified since the "Sloppy Seconds" comment got Avery six fucking games.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a stupid move.

And by all accounts, my team should have been looking for a coach about now. Dangit.

There's usually more to stories than the surface. My guess is he's got other disciplinary issues and they are using that incident to rid themselves of him.

Remember, Al Capone went to prison for tax evasion. OJ is in jail for stealing memorabilia.
I've never heard anything about Sparks. Unless he's been making noise behind the scenes having been relegated to full-time backup for Bibeau, it would be a surprise.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard anything about Sparks. Unless he's been making noise behind the scenes having been relegated to full-time backup for Bibeau, it would be a surprise.

I've never heard anything either. Just in my experience when someone gets the hammer like that for a comparatively insignificant infraction, it's usually because there was something else.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, the context of the "threat" even cheapens it more for me.

He didn't say, "I'll see you in the streets bitch!" or "Give me your address, I'll fuck you up!", he said he'd rough someone up during a medium where roughing up is "fair game". It's like a boxer saying to a troll, "See me in the ring if..."

Then again, this league has shown it's been pussified since the "Sloppy Seconds" comment got Avery six fucking games.

Where do you play open hockey that it's not out of the ordinary to see someone "drag you out to centre ice and beat you to a bloody pulp"?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought you had a problem with there being any suspension at all, what you gave is a more legitimate criticism I think. It's possible that they are leaving it that way while they make absolutely certain that the story is exactly what they think it is and there's nothing more. It's an easier situation to manage than having to backtrack after you've given a clearly defined punishment too quickly.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Maclean should probably avoid criticising management moves. And player moves. And anything hockey-related.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might also be worth remembering that Maclean himself once fired Gallant lol. Maybe Cifu is being legit saying he studied his moves :noidea:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Maclean's quite the character isn't he? Oh and Gerard Gallant's firing by the Panthers is a huge surprise. If I'm George Mcphee with Vegas I'm definitely making a phone call today.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallant after being fired by the Panthers last night:

CyUVtPeUoAEzz71.jpg:medium

And here's some of the rest of the story from someone who was at PNC Arena:

I was there. It was worse than the photos make it look.

At PNC Arena, the service entrance is where both teams leave the building. As a result, a crowd of fans gathers there after every game to look for autographs and get some face time with the players. Tonight, there was a mix of Canes fans, Panthers fans, and miscellaneous Jagr fans. I was out there with my 8 year old son because he wanted to get his stick signed.

After nearly all the Hurricanes players had left, the Florida buses were still parked at the loading dock. That never happens, because visiting teams usually have a plane to catch and beat it out of there quickly. It became a topic of conversation between the fans and security that the Panthers were taking a weirdly long time to leave.

Around that time, I checked the Canes GDT and saw a post that Gallant had been fired. So naturally, my reaction was to turn to the first person next to me and say something like, 'Holy crap, they're still here because they just canned their coach!". Which of course broke the news to everyone in earshot, and so everyone was talking about it by the time the Panthers buses finally pulled out.

By the time Gallant came out 10 or 15 minutes later, the whole crowd at the security gate knew what had happened. He had to come all the way out of the secure area into the public parking lot, with half a dozen arena employees helping him carry his bags to a taxi which was very conspicuously parked right in front of everyone.

The point being, what you don't see in those photos is the crowd of fans 50 feet away who were ALL taking pictures and video while Gallant awkwardly waited for the cab to get loaded. The worst part (and I considered not mentioning this, as it really doesn't reflect well on our fanbase) was one guy singing the "Hey Hey Goodbye" song in Gallant's direction.

So yes, that was just about the worst possible way it could have gone down, short of breaking the news to him on live TV or something.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus fucking Christ. It's a name.

Someone else's name, apparently.

I just find the whole thing funny. The owner has such a hard on for "Knights", probably because some marketing dingleberry thinks it would be great, and every single one they've tried someone else lays claim to.

If they can't even get organized enough to get a name picked what kind of clusterfuck is the team gonna be?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the Army have a trademark on something like that? Because if not, there's really nothing they can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.