• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to my first game at The Ralph in UND and holy shit, if you are ever in the Upper Midwest for any reason make it a priority to check out a game there. I have no vesting interest in North Dakota hockey, but that arena is a fucking palace. The production and environment was better than I've ever witnessed at a hockey game. Literally the best place I've ever seen a sporting event at any level.

Tying it back to NHL talk..Sorry Nucks fans, but I've never understood the hype with Brock Boeser. The guy floats worse than Ovechkin. He basically set up a camp at the opponents blue line waiting for passes all night. Tyson Jost was much more impressive all night and he's only a freshman.
I know jack shit about Boeser but if that is the case and he has a good shot, that's not necessarily a terrible thing. Canucks just need a Backstrom.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news about Arizona I guess, be nice to see something positive for that team after the limbo of the past # of years.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many tractor pulls can you book into Gila River Arena? I guess we're going to find out.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://SportsHoopla.com/ju3ur4a

This year's class was pretty weak but I don't see anyone other than Selanne that's a slam dunk on this list.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This year's class was pretty weak but I don't see anyone other than Selanne that's a slam dunk on this list.

I think Mogilny and Joseph will get a real look.

/Unless of course the Hall decides to right the wrong perpetrated by the US voters, and stuff the 2017 Class with women.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Selanne is a lock. I'm betting this is the year that Recchi gets in.

After that it's a coin flip. My gut tells me Andreychuk will never get in. Cujo deserves it more than Osgood, IMO. Kariya probably just didn't play enough games to get in.

All great players but, as you said, no slam dunks.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once again your link won't open for me so I assumed it was the Sportsnet list.

From that article
Curtis Joseph:
  • Fourth all-time in saves with 2,427
  • Fifth all-time in games played by a goaltender with 943

He must have played with GREAT defensive teams allowing less than 3 shots per game like that!! :rolleyes2:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selanne is a lock. I'm betting this is the year that Recchi gets in.

After that it's a coin flip. My gut tells me Andreychuk will never get in. Cujo deserves it more than Osgood, IMO. Kariya probably just didn't play enough games to get in.

All great players but, as you said, no slam dunks.
Agreed on everything but Andreychuk. I think he gets in eventually and I think this very well may be his year given the lackluster competition for a spot.

If they take three off that list - leaving room for an old-timer like Vachon - I'd say it's absolutely Selanne, then Andreychuk and Cujo, not necessarily in that order. Longevity was a big part of it for both of them, but the career numbers will just become too much to ignore at some point, especially for Cujo.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again your link won't open for me so I assumed it was the Sportsnet list.

From that article

He must have played with GREAT defensive teams allowing less than 3 shots per game like that!! :rolleyes2:
That Aki Berg-Jyrki Lumme pairing made him look better than he was.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on everything but Andreychuk. I think he gets in eventually and I think this very well may be his year given the lackluster competition for a spot.

If they take three off that list - leaving room for an old-timer like Vachon - I'd say it's absolutely Selanne, then Andreychuk and Cujo, not necessarily in that order. Longevity was a big part of it for both of them, but the career numbers will just become too much to ignore at some point, especially for Cujo.
I'm surprised, you're the second guy to advocate for Cujo on here. Any particular reason (feel free to answer this as well, @BGDave ) ?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised, you're the second guy to advocate for Cujo on here. Any particular reason (feel free to answer this as well, @BGDave ) ?
Like I said, mostly the cumulative effect of a long career. It may take a while, to the point that some of the people who actually remember his playing days aren't around anymore, but at some point they're going to see that the guy is 4th all time in wins (for now*) and he'll get credit for being able to play at a high level for an extended period of time.

At his peak he was never the best in the game, but he was a Vezina finalist 3 or 4 times I think and played in 3 or 4 all star games. Longevity and total career numbers can definitely be a factor for voting as time passes, especially in years with relatively weak classes.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, mostly the cumulative effect of a long career. It may take a while, to the point that some of the people who actually remember his playing days aren't around anymore, but at some point they're going to see that the guy is 4th all time in wins (for now*) and he'll get credit for being able to play at a high level for an extended period of time.

At his peak he was never the best in the game, but he was a Vezina finalist 3 or 4 times I think and played in 3 or 4 all star games. Longevity and total career numbers can definitely be a factor for voting as time passes, especially in years with relatively weak classes.
I suppose that's possible but other than 2 or 3 standout seasons he really wasn't anything spectacular. Other than his last couple of Oiler years he didn't play on teams that allowed an exorbitant number of shots.

Between 1994 and 2004 he ranked 10th in sv% among goalies with 320+ starts, behind Dunham and Osgood and ahead of Turek and Thibault. Granted he played a lot more games during that span than Dunham and Turek I still can't justify to myself that he belongs in the Hall when those guys are his comparables. We're really talking 5 or 6 great years, tops, over a 19 year NHL career.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^
This

I am probably too harsh in my assessment for the HHOF, and a lot for me comes down to "did I want to watch a game just because X was playing?". The HHOF version of the eye test, no fancy shmancy newfangled metrics need apply.

Honestly, I would not vote CuJo in either, but he has some pretty good stats, and I feel the same way about him as I do Vachon. But there will be riots in the streets if only Selanne gets in, so CuJo is as good as any. I would prefer to put CuJo in the "Hall of Very Very Good".

I don't view longevity as mandatory, but when you put up the numbers someone like Andreychuk did, you cannot ignore it either. The only thing that separates him from Recchi or Kariya is longevity, and the higher stats that come with it. I would put both of them, and Alfredsson too, in the HHOVVG (tm).

Status
Not open for further replies.