• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess the Preds won the Subban - Weber swap...

Ranking the top 20 defencemen in the NHL, by the numbers - Sportsnet.ca
I'd probably take Weber over 3 or 4 guys on that list, but he'd definitely be in the 16-20 range.

Gonna be interesting to see how Ekblad does away from Campbell.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell was Babcock thinking playing Pietrangelo and JayBo ahead of Muzzin during the World Cup of Hockey? Check the numbers, Mike.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure all of the Kings fans out there will have well thought out, level-headed responses to the top 5 rankings.

/Holy shit, I forgot that the Kings had a second pick in that 1st round. They could have had Doughty AND Karlsson!!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope Chia doesn't pry Gustav Forsling out of Chicago for Yak.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yak could really thrive in an environment like Chicago. First - and most obviously - it's not a complete tire-fire like Edmonton. Then of course you've got the fact that he plays with some phenomenal talents and doesn't have the pressure to perform like #1 overall pick there.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yak could really thrive in an environment like Chicago. First - and most obviously - it's not a complete tire-fire like Edmonton. Then of course you've got the fact that he plays with some phenomenal talents and doesn't have the pressure to perform like #1 overall pick there.

Plus, there are a couple of Russian guys there in Panarin and Anisimov that could help the Yakster assimilate into the team.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's quite a return for a 1st overall pick.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't get it. I don't think anyone would argue with calling Yak a bust, but he produces about what you'd expect at $2.5M and has done it playing in Edmonton. How could they be so desperate to unload him that they'd even retain salary?

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Open ice dekes" Because there's one thing I want to measure the effectiveness of a defensive player on, it's how often he's dekeing in the neutral zone.

"Carry ins per dump in" What in the fuck does this have to do with evaluating an individual defensemen? Some teams have systems that dump the fucking puck in. So this player apparently carries the puck more than guys on teams that do not run that team system, making them above "league average"

Christ.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it. I don't think anyone would argue with calling Yak a bust, but he produces about what you'd expect at $2.5M and has done it playing in Edmonton. How could they be so desperate to unload him that they'd even retain salary?

I really think they're trying to change the culture (get rid of the core they they see as rotten) and it started with trading Taylor Hall. The next guy to go is Yak. Personally, I'd get rid of Eberle, but for some reason, they like him (guy puts up points, but is a trainwreck in his own zone).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think they're trying to change the culture (get rid of the core they they see as rotten) and it started with trading Taylor Hall. The next guy to go is Yak. Personally, I'd get rid of Eberle, but for some reason, they like him (guy puts up points, but is a trainwreck in his own zone).
That and I think realistically, the chances of him re-building any value whatsoever on the Oilers are minuscule. Keeping him around is 1) a distraction and 2) a waste of a roster spot.

At this point it's in the best interest of all involved to move on. Even if he turns into a 50+ pt scorer someday I don't think anybody is going to pile on the team for moving him more than they already have for how they handled him to this point.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the Pens visit to the White House today, Obama voiced his displeasure with the recent team USA debacle and leaving the Phil off the roster. Couldn't he have vetoed some of the team's selections and just appointed guys using his executive power?

Congress would just override it out of spite without having a clue of the real impact.

No idea who this guy is...

DO NOT HURT ARTY PARTY

I'm sure all of the Kings fans out there will have well thought out, level-headed responses to the top 5 rankings.

/Holy shit, I forgot that the Kings had a second pick in that 1st round. They could have had Doughty AND Karlsson!!

Sbisa, Del Zotto and Carlson also went in that first.

Why do I look at drafts on hockeydb? WHY?
2008, Jackets took Filatov in the first. Next two were Colin Wilson and Mikkel Boedker. Second round they took Goloubef, and as much as I love Goloubef, THE NEXT GUY TAKEN was Roman Fucking Josi.

At least Calvert and Atkinson came out of that draft.

If that's the price, I'd pay it in a heartbeat.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So good...

faaa58fb88f62e98d0177dd32968459a.png

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sbisa, Del Zotto and Carlson also went in that first.

Why do I look at drafts on hockeydb? WHY?
2008, Jackets took Filatov in the first. Next two were Colin Wilson and Mikkel Boedker. Second round they took Goloubef, and as much as I love Goloubef, THE NEXT GUY TAKEN was Roman Fucking Josi.

At least Calvert and Atkinson came out of that draft.
Don't forget Colten Teubert, the Kings other first round d-man taken in that draft. You remember him, right? The guy that went two spots before Karlsson.

/Tiny violins and all that.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a tough draft to re-do even 8 years on. A lot of times a hindsight consensus number one from a historical draft exists or is the same as the guy that actually went first.

Obviously Stamkos going #1 overall isn't a bad choice in hindsight, but you've got Doughty at #2, Pietrangelo at #4, Karlsson at #15, Josi in the second, and Braden Holtby in the goddamn 4th.

I think you could make a legitimate case for any of them to have gone #1 overall.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a tough draft to re-do even 8 years on. A lot of times a hindsight consensus number one from a historical draft exists or is the same as the guy that actually went first.

Obviously Stamkos going #1 overall isn't a bad choice in hindsight, but you've got Doughty at #2, Pietrangelo at #4, Karlsson at #15, Josi in the second, and Braden Holtby in the goddamn 4th.

I think you could make a legitimate case for any of them to have gone #1 overall.
But Holtby was a sieve back then

Status
Not open for further replies.