• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top ten UFA's for next summer.

Top 10 NHL unrestricted free agents of 2017: Burnziepalooza - Sportsnet.ca

Didn't know Bishop rejected a trade to Calgary.
TB is in a tough spot with him because of his no move. Vasi (I'm not trying to spell that whole name) has proven that he can start for that team and Bishop is going to want even more than his current salary.

I think they try to move him during the season and hope there's an opening with a team that he finds appealing enough to waive for.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB is in a tough spot with him because of his no move. Vasi (I'm not trying to spell that whole name) has proven that he can start for that team and Bishop is going to want even more than his current salary.

I think they try to move him during the season and hope there's an opening with a team that he finds appealing enough to waive for.
Ok but if he's UFA on July 1 do TB still have to protect him even if they have no intention of re-signing him?

If so, bullshit.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok but if he's UFA on July 1 do TB still have to protect him even if they have no intention of re-signing him?

If so, bullshit.

Draft is in June, so I'd imagine all roster players are in play to the rules. NTC = Protected.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Hearing #Flames GM Brad Treliving has traveled to NYC area to get down to business w/ Gaudreau's agent, Lewis Gross. Negotiations underway

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If so, bullshit.

Draft is in June, so I'd imagine all roster players are in play to the rules. NTC = Protected.

If I remember right, I think they said that expiring contracts would not need to be protected, whether there's an NTC or not.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find anything official from the league, but various reporters indicate expiring contracts won't count.

http://www.sportsnet .ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-receiving-information-potential-expansion-draft/

(Ugh...had to add a space in there before the .ca so it wouldn't convert the link to a media file)

Players holding no-movement clauses – including those modified by limited no-trades, such as Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury – count against the protection limit, provided that those contracts and clauses extend through the 2017-18 season.

However, players with no-movement clauses on deals that expire June 30, 2017 like Calgary Flames defenceman Dennis Wideman or Minnesota Wild forward Thomas Vanek wouldn't have to be protected for a draft that is likely to be held a week or two beforehand.

Teams will also be permitted to ask players to waive their no-movement clauses for inclusion in the expansion draft.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find anything official from the league, but various reporters indicate expiring contracts won't count.

http://www.sportsnet .ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-receiving-information-potential-expansion-draft/

(Ugh...had to add a space in there before the .ca so it wouldn't convert the link to a media file)

Lame. GMs continue to get away with handing out NTCs like Candy. I think that if they signed the deal, it should be honored until it's over. If you want them to go, you gotta ask. Like everybody else.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is either an outdoor game/ASG/draft or something really, really bad.

/NVM, looks like they're retiring MSL's jersey. Eyeroll. Sorry.

Last edited:

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is either an outdoor game/ASG/draft or something really, really bad.

/NVM, looks like they're retiring MSL's jersey. Eyeroll. Sorry.

I know one guy who isn't going:
a14fdbd0-a640-11e3-9754-47a1256947c9_CaleighWaleigh.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably means he's still asking for a pretty penny. Looks like Russell is playing a game of chicken. He better hope it's not with a train because it could end up being the trans-Siberian.

#KHL #shotblocking

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably means he's still asking for a pretty penny. Looks like Russell is playing a game of chicken. He better hope it's not with a train because it could end up being the trans-Siberian.

#KHL #shotblocking

Well, I still wouldn't rule out the Flames, although they need to get Johnny signed on the dotted line first and need to move a defenseman (so long Dennis). Of course, injuries will occur and he'll be at the top of team's list for a stop-gap measure.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at teams with cap and roster space that might even want him, now excluding the Sens, he's down to basically NJ and Carolina. If he's negotiating for money still Calgary just won't ever have the cap space for him (I can't see anybody taking the Ref Hunter) and you can exclude the Canes and Devils as well in that case.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the Pens visit to the White House today, Obama voiced his displeasure with the recent team USA debacle and leaving the Phil off the roster. Couldn't he have vetoed some of the team's selections and just appointed guys using his executive power?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the Pens visit to the White House today, Obama voiced his displeasure with the recent team USA debacle and leaving the Phil off the roster. Couldn't he have vetoed some of the team's selections and just appointed guys using his executive power?

Im not sure ... but I think this type of move would have opened the government up to law suits from hotels around the world that have had their furniture and rooms trashed by Team USA hockey players after one of their many disastrous performances :noidea:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't he have vetoed some of the team's selections and just appointed guys using his executive power?

I'm not familiar with American tort law, but Torts has inflicted several liabilities on USA hockey.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess the Preds won the Subban - Weber swap...

Ranking the top 20 defencemen in the NHL, by the numbers - Sportsnet.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.