• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible.

FWIW, though, I still think even in this condition he'd be a better coach than anybody the Isles have hired since him, including current asshat Jack Capuano.

Terrible news about Al Arbour. How is it that he's only won 1 Jack Adams award? That just doesn't seem right....

DL - you're forgetting about Terry Simpson. Guy was a genius.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Bucci bug anyone else? Particularly as a hockey fan? He uses this made up lingo and says it's hockey jargon, which some of it is...but he's like a overgrown laxbro.

I find him incredibly annoying, always have

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd find that Leafs statue concept incredibly cool if the Leafs weren't forcing history down fan throats every day. I love the history, but the fact that they feel the need to honor every team/player that was relevant ever gets a bit old, no?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd find that Leafs statue concept incredibly cool if the Leafs weren't forcing history down fan throats every day. I love the history, but the fact that they feel the need to honor every team/player that was relevant ever gets a bit old, no?

What on earth are you talking about? They haven't really done that at all. Personally I think they've been too far in the opposite direction. Hell, if you want to know how the actual fans feel (you know, the people that are the actual audience for this stuff... I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a Maple Leafs ceremony or celebration held before a game in Pittsburgh) this was just a year ago

Former Anschutz Boss Charts Leafs Victory Parade Route - Bloomberg

and the idea of taking down the pictures met with tons of opposition from the fanbase. Personally I've never heard of anyone fiercely opposing a plan to stop having something "forced down their throat".

I'd also add that the team's 100th anniversary is coming up in a few years, which is probably part of why this is happening. I guess they're just supposed to sit on their hands and split a Betty Crocker cake in the dressing room for that though.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What on earth are you talking about? They haven't really done that at all. Personally I think they've been too far in the opposite direction. Hell, if you want to know how the actual fans feel (you know, the people that are the actual audience for this stuff... I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a Maple Leafs ceremony or celebration held before a game in Pittsburgh) this was just a year ago

and the idea of taking down the pictures met with tons of opposition from the fanbase. Personally I've never heard of anyone fiercely opposing a plan to stop having something "forced down their throat".

I'd also add that the team's 100th anniversary is coming up in a few years, which is probably part of why this is happening. I guess they're just supposed to sit on their hands and split a Betty Crocker cake in the dressing room for that though.

Guess you don't tune into HNIC until 7:30 when the weekly "Lets honour this Leafs "great"" ceremony ends, eh?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess you don't tune into HNIC until 7:30 when the weekly "Lets honour this Leafs "great"" ceremony ends, eh?

You are aware that part of the reason they've had more of those in more recent years is because they (literally) didn't have any of those during the Ballard years and they've had to play catch up, right?

I also feel like I've seen more of those ceremonies for soldiers than I have for ex-Leafs

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude...calm down. I'm allowed to have a damn opinion.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand the Leafs, but I don't find them overly pushy about their history.

My less than charitable side thinks that maybe this is because they have such a poor recent-to-not-so-recent history to boast about. :dhd:

Nevertheless I tend to think they don't overdo it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand the Leafs, but I don't find them overly pushy about their history.

My less than charitable side thinks that maybe this is because they have such a poor recent-to-not-so-recent history to boast about. :dhd:

Nevertheless I tend to think they don't overdo it.

That was kind of why it got so annoying - the team was terrible year in year out so to boost fan morale they would trot out Wendel Clark or Dave Keon or Johnny Bower twenty times and "honour" them with fans standing and clapping for a minute before they resumed throwing waffles on the ice.

Canuck eh?

Big Flat Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was kind of why it got so annoying - the team was terrible year in year out so to boost fan morale they would trot out Wendel Clark or Dave Keon or Johnny Bower twenty times and "honour" them with fans standing and clapping for a minute before they resumed throwing waffles on the ice.

Will they make the Kessel statue out of butter?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are aware that part of the reason they've had more of those in more recent years is because they (literally) didn't have any of those during the Ballard years and they've had to play catch up, right?

I also feel like I've seen more of those ceremonies for soldiers than I have for ex-Leafs

Most of the Leafs who deserve those ceremonies are dead. I swear I can remember Tie Domi getting a "night of honour" once. Tie Fucking Domi.

The soldiers have a moment in the first period every game. One guy gets invited to the game and they give him a standing O.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Must have been 10 each for Clark and Bower, cause it sure wasn't Keon

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the Leafs who deserve those ceremonies are dead. I swear I can remember Tie Domi getting a "night of honour" once. Tie Fucking Domi.

The soldiers have a moment in the first period every game. One guy gets invited to the game and they give him a standing O.

I am guessing that the Domi night you are remembering was because he reached 1,000 NHL games (and of course was while he was still an active Maple Leaf)? I can't think of/remember anything else it could be. And I have no problem with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.