• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When healthy, they have a pretty formidable D. Murray, Tyutin, Wisniewsky and Johnson are a solid top 4 (with Johnson being the weakest of the 4) and Prout/Savard, along with Connauton and Leopold balance it out well.

The problem is, Erixon, who should be in the AHL at best is playing in the NHL and Prout and Savard who should be alternating 3rd pairing minutes are top pair guys right now. Neither one has the foot speed to match against the Crosby's and Ovechkins of the world. Not by a long shot.

At the outset, the Jackets needed a top 6 winger, to get rid of Boll and find a solid backup. That was before we knew about Horton. Now they need two or three top 6 forwards, clearly some 3rd line depth (Who would have thought I'd lament the loss of Blake Comeau?) and they still need a backup goalie.

Eichel or McDavid doesn't fill enough of the holes, but it does help a lot.

Like I said, their D doesn't impress me all that much. I won't lie and say I've seen a lot of Fedor Tyutin action over the years but he probably isn't much more than a second pair guy on a contending team and he's probably CBJ's best defenceman right now. That isn't good. Obviously Murray can turn into a great, but it will be a few years before we find out for sure and he needs to stay fucking healthy!

I don't think the healthy Jackets can compete until they get their blue line right.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but he has to realize that Hexy was not the guy who signed him - he has no ties to him and he has every right to try and move him

It's pro sports. You gotta have a thick skin and be ready for things like this. I doubt Josh Donaldson went to bed Thursday night and thought he'd be a Blue Jay by that time tomorrow but...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eichel or McDavid doesn't fill enough of the holes, but it does help a lot.

I don't think RyJo sticks around if one of those guys comes to town. Does he seem like the kinda guy who would be cool being a second line C? And limit his earning potential? And I think that's a plus - he would get you a fucking ransom in a trade.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I meant is that I think Hartnell would've waived to go to Siberia just based on how hurt he seemed to be by the Flyers wanting to move him. He definitely felt disrespected. I've said many times in here how fucked up this season has been for CBJ.

Ah, gotcha. Hartsy's been taking a lot of heat locally over his comments about lacking a captain. There's been a lot of "I bet he wishes he'd never come here" talk.

I like him, and I certainly wish it was a better situation than it is. But even so it's probably better for him than where he was.

I certainly think they need to rethink how things are being handled. That many injuries in practice is a bit worrisome, that's when you need to sit down with coaches, strength/conditioning staff, and figure it out. The Horton thing I can only presume is partially on him and partially on the fact that most back pain is perceived as simply part of life. Gosh I hate low back pain. It's an issue, there I agree. They need to look for trends, and I think the practice injury rate may be one.

There is clearly some disconnect. Players are not being prepared to play the style the coaching staff apparently wants.

Like I said, their D doesn't impress me all that much. I won't lie and say I've seen a lot of Fedor Tyutin action over the years but he probably isn't much more than a second pair guy on a contending team and he's probably CBJ's best defenceman right now. That isn't good. Obviously Murray can turn into a great, but it will be a few years before we find out for sure and he needs to stay fucking healthy!

I don't think the healthy Jackets can compete until they get their blue line right.

Tyutin is solid. Not flashy, but usually in position. He's not gonna crush someone, he seems to prefer leverage over big hits. He looks like someone who grew up watching Slava Fetisov. I mean he made Nikita Nikitin look good for two years. He is very underrated and very clearly our best.

Wiz is a maniac, and has that crazy shot from the point. He tends to go for the big play and gets burnt sometimes. He needs a Murray or Johnson (with wheels) to cover him when he goofs. David Savard is not a good safety net for him. And Savard is the best safety net we have right now (since Johnson's true colors are coming out).

I don't think RyJo sticks around if one of those guys comes to town. Does he seem like the kinda guy who would be cool being a second line C? And limit his earning potential? And I think that's a plus - he would get you a fucking ransom in a trade.

I guess it all depends on which one. McDavid will be a problem because I don't think he'll like being the #2c, and Dubinsky will certainly not handle #3c very well. If they can wrangle another decent winger and get Eichel, I think Johansen will just spend the rest of his days collecting fat checks and big point numbers. Imagine if the Jackets were to get Eberle and then were in a position to draft Eichel... He'd spend the next few years between those two? That would be fun to see.

And considering he's one of three or four guys who has shown up to play every night, I hope to God he stays.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, gotcha. Hartsy's been taking a lot of heat locally over his comments about lacking a captain. There's been a lot of "I bet he wishes he'd never come here" talk.

I like him, and I certainly wish it was a better situation than it is. But even so it's probably better for him than where he was.

There is clearly some disconnect. Players are not being prepared to play the style the coaching staff apparently wants.

Tyutin is solid. Not flashy, but usually in position. He's not gonna crush someone, he seems to prefer leverage over big hits. He looks like someone who grew up watching Slava Fetisov. I mean he made Nikita Nikitin look good for two years. He is very underrated and very clearly our best.

Wiz is a maniac, and has that crazy shot from the point. He tends to go for the big play and gets burnt sometimes. He needs a Murray or Johnson (with wheels) to cover him when he goofs. David Savard is not a good safety net for him. And Savard is the best safety net we have right now (since Johnson's true colors are coming out).

I guess it all depends on which one. McDavid will be a problem because I don't think he'll like being the #2c, and Dubinsky will certainly not handle #3c very well. If they can wrangle another decent winger and get Eichel, I think Johansen will just spend the rest of his days collecting fat checks and big point numbers. Imagine if the Jackets were to get Eberle and then were in a position to draft Eichel... He'd spend the next few years between those two? That would be fun to see.

And considering he's one of three or four guys who has shown up to play every night, I hope to God he stays.

I'm envying Eberle right now, and I don't know why, because it'll never happen. Every year, some name pops up in the rumor mill that I get attached to, and that's the one right now.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Aportzline 35m35 minutes ago
#CBJ will not trade first-round picks, young talent or prospects in order to salvage this season, POHOP John Davidson said.

Basically his way of saying "BACK YOU SAVAGES, BACK I SAY!" while brandishing a broom.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Aportzline 35m35 minutes ago
#CBJ will not trade first-round picks, young talent or prospects in order to salvage this season, POHOP John Davidson said.

Basically his way of saying "BACK YOU SAVAGES, BACK I SAY!" while brandishing a broom.

Maybe also his way of saying "Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, Jared Boll and Curtis McIlhenny - Don't get comfy"

Also, this is a Twatwaffle tweet, so it could have been overhearing JD's lunch order and adding some "pizazz" to it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nxOtlCM.jpg

heh

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
l9YXgL9.jpg

Double heh

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
canine-calendar-2.jpg

Nope. No chance a fan of a rival team is going to misconstrue the content of this picture. Not a chance.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is OV graying?

It's funny - with the retro unis, the shaggy hair, and the Movember 'stache he has going, I definitely feels like the early 80s when looking at him. Reminiscent of Gartner a little.

And yeah, he definitely has more than a few gray hairs now (I think his first showed up a year or two ago).

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Movember, Sydney has more of a David Crosby thing going on these days...

191593-0-600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.