• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha...hahahahahaha...hahahahahahahahahhaha

In GIF form. :lol:Swarm! Swarm! Swarm!!

I t looks like a giant mob descending on their own net.

ShockedRaggedDikdik.gif

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Sens have informed Curtis Lazar that he will be staying past his 9 game try out.

Kind of torn on this one. He certainly helps the team but does he help it more than Pageau would in the same role? I'm not so sure that he does enough to justify burning an ELC year. Also, he would have shredded the WJHC this year. :(

If there's one thing I'm starting to notice, it's that GM's are giving less and less of a fuck about burning a year off the ELC if it means the player can gain even the slightest advantage playing with the big boys.

I think game 39 (one year closer for the player to free agency) has become more important than game 9 (burning a year of the ELC contract).

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think game 39 (one year closer for the player to free agency) has become more important than game 9 (burning a year of the ELC contract).

This is certainly true, but Melnyk is in cheap mode right now, so he probably has a say in both deadlines.

Lazar can play though. I just hope that if he starts to struggle they send him down despite being past the 9 game limit.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well. We've discussed this before but here goes.

The biggest difference is that Gryba is right in front of Ani before he hits him. If Artem is looking at anything but his navel he has no issues. Johnson comes from Tlusty's blindside, ie. it's a predatory hit on a player has no real reason to expect a hit from that direction.

There is also clear evidence that Johnson's hit has the head as the, or one of the, primary points of contact. Not saying Gryba's hit didn't but there is easily an argument that could be made that he hit chest shoulder before the head. Not so with Johnson.

Both hits are reckless and unnecessary. Both should have been (or should be) punished. But only one will be, that's what doesn't make sense here.

Johnson is just as far in front of Tlusty as Gryba is in front of Anisimov and neither Anisimov or Tlusty is looking where they are going. The only difference is Gryba is in essence going backwards across Anisimov, and Johnson went forward across Tlusty.

But the stance, angle of hit and follow through on both hits are nearly identical, but the hit on Anisimov is okay because he's four inches taller? Johnson lowered himself to aim his shoulder at the middle of Tlusty's chest, and Tlusty was bent further forward. JJ miscalculated.

IlliterateBackAfricanharrierhawk.gif

The head was hit, but was not the target. Just like Gryba did not target the head but still hit it. What makes them both illegal hits IMO is the extension upwards through the hit. If one is no foul, the other should be. They got the first one wrong.

And since when has a player going through the neutral zone looking backward *NOT* expected a hit?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh forecast - Chance of fleurys today and for the next four years.

Fleury 4 year deal is $5.75 million in each year; includes no-move clause and limited no-trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh forecast - Chance of fluerys today and for the next four years.

Fleury 4 year deal is $5.75 million in each year; includes no-move clause and limited no-trade.

It's fine.

/expert analysis.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fine.

/expert analysis.

My only concern about the Penguins is the playoffs. I don't blame Fleury for the blown 3-1 lead against the Rangers though. Lundqvist stood on his head & Crosby has scored 1 stinking goal in his last 18 or 19 playoff games.

This deal is fine. Rutherford made it clear Fleury wasn't going anywhere when he said as long as he's here Fleury is his goalie.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not thrilled with the money in the MAF deal, but...what options exist? Seriously...there aren't many. Basically they need to roll with MAF until one of the young up and coming guys is ready. Which is probably 2 years.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never thought much (and still don't) of Fleury as an NHL goalie. But given what other guys are getting paid, this one seems pretty reasonable to me.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I need to keep in mind the changing spectrum of cap hits with goalies. He's now 13th highest paid. That's really...pretty much right on.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern about the Penguins is the playoffs. I don't blame Fleury for the blown 3-1 lead against the Rangers though. Lundqvist stood on his head & Crosby has scored 1 stinking goal in his last 18 or 19 playoff games.

This deal is fine. Rutherford made it clear Fleury wasn't going anywhere when he said as long as he's here Fleury is his goalie.

I think a decent bit of his playoff woes are related to issues with the defense. Bylsma didn't adjust to other teams, and once they sorted out the Pens' scheme, Fleury was hung out to dry a lot.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not thrilled with the money in the MAF deal, but...what options exist? Seriously...there aren't many. Basically they need to roll with MAF until one of the young up and coming guys is ready. Which is probably 2 years.

Greiss has looked solid, but like you said there really doesn't seem to be anyone else out their.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think it's entirely fair to call him out on not stopping a free breakaway, where the shot appeared to go high, during which he was trying to poke check.

I mean, the other two are awful, I just don't see that as a beach ball situation.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's entirely fair to call him out on not stopping a free breakaway, where the shot appeared to go high, during which he was trying to poke check.

I mean, the other two are awful, I just don't see that as a beach ball situation.

What was he trying to poke check? His skate?

Status
Not open for further replies.