• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Torts and the Flyers, what could go wrong?

The fans will love and support him. They are so patient. There will be no pressure from the fans or the Philly media. And they do have stable goaltending, so that's not a worry. There is literally no downside.

Live look at Cam Atkinson:
c8dc6819-533d-4235-99e1-2ffdff850051_text.gif

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fans will love and support him. They are so patient. There will be no pressure from the fans or the Philly media. And they do have stable goaltending, so that's not a worry. There is literally no downside.

Live look at Cam Atkinson:
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF
FIFY

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^that same reaction could be used for Torts when he realizes Ristolainen is paid like a top pairing d-man.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^that same reaction could be used for Torts when he realizes Ristolainen is paid like a top pairing d-man.
Torts has never looked at a player's name on a roster in his life. He just figures out who the fans and other players like and benches him for no fucking reason.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

:puke:

speed yes.
nowhere near the vision of 99 or the raw skill of 66.
call me when he is lapping the field in scoring

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

speed yes.

Hey puck, I'm sure you recall the days in hockey pools when Gretzky goals and assists would be split just to keep things somewhat level.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

speed yes.
Nor the play reading of Crosby or the sheer determination of a Jagr or Ovi.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this much, I don't think any of those players named above ever had their best seasons on a team that is as contemporarily (hope I used that right) flawed as this Oilers team is.

You could argue that they have the worst starting goalie, defence corps and bottom six of any of the teams that made the playoffs and yet they're two wins away from a conference final and it's almost entirely because of McDavid.

Open to hearing if any of those guys' teams had some really shitty builds though. I know the Pens still had some shitty years after Mario showed up.

/Although you all make excellent points about those other guys' best attributes.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think that article is premature, I mean if the Flames rally to win this series, how bad does that article look in retrospect? Even if the Oilers advance, do we really think they're going to beat either the Avs or Blues? But hey, nothing like being the first out of the gate and then if it doesn't pan out, there's very little consequence right?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think that article is premature, I mean if the Flames rally to win this series, how bad does that article look in retrospect? Even if the Oilers advance, do we really think they're going to beat either the Avs or Blues? But hey, nothing like being the first out of the gate and then if it doesn't pan out, there's very little consequence right?
Well, I've been told that the Toronto Sports Network only writes and airs hyperbolic bullshit about the Leafs so this can't be the case Dash.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this much, I don't think any of those players named above ever had their best seasons on a team that is as contemporarily (hope I used that right) flawed as this Oilers team is.

You could argue that they have the worst starting goalie, defence corps and bottom six of any of the teams that made the playoffs and yet they're two wins away from a conference final and it's almost entirely because of McDavid.

Open to hearing if any of those guys' teams had some really shitty builds though. I know the Pens still had some shitty years after Mario showed up.

/Although you all make excellent points about those other guys' best attributes.

I can remember losing to Hextall and the Flyers one year in the 2nd round, but most of Lemieux's first six or seven years were missing the playoffs.

McDavid is IMO the best player in the NHL right now, but nowhere near the best ever.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very fair. Ovi suffered some dismal teams at the beginning (And some awful coaches), but they built the right pieces around him. His best obviously came once they found Backstrom.

A big part of the problem with articles like this is the Internet "media" obsession with being first with your "take". 12 years from now, McDavid might have several cups and have taken down a few of the big records, and this dingus will point to himself being first to call him the GOAT. Of all the players in the league, he has the best chance to get there. But he is nowhere near some of the legends that have come before him when looking at the whole picture.

I mean, I am not sure I take him to build a franchise around over Peter Forsberg or Joe Sakic in their prime. Teemu. Messier. Stevie Y. They are all just more complete hockey players.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is happening at that network lol.
They're as crap as the rest of them.

There's just nothing good anywhere in sports media IMO. The only thing that still entertains me is Inside The NBA (because Chuck fuckin kills me) and Stephen A. Smith (because he's ridiculous and he never really talks about things I care about).

All of the hockey broadcasts suck (TNT's is kinda ok but I think it's getting more credit than it deserves just because everything else is so shit), the football broadcasts all hired a bunch of old shit ass coaches to speak nonsense and ensure nobody ever hires them again, basically no soccer coverage in Canada anymore, the talk shows are all just crappy First Take replicas, and TSN/Sportsnet will show the same thing on 4 different channels for some reason instead of actually trying to do something innovative or different.

And they charge more than ever to subscribe because we're all idiots.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If "some" = 7 of 8 seasons missing the playoffs. In a league that only had the bottom 5 of 21 teams miss the playoffs.

The one season they made the playoffs during that stretch, Lemieux had his career high 199 points. Then came back from injury playing less than 1/3 of the regular season to lead the team to their first Stanley Cup scoring his career high points in a postseason.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very fair. Ovi suffered some dismal teams at the beginning (And some awful coaches), but they built the right pieces around him. His best obviously came once they found Backstrom.

A big part of the problem with articles like this is the Internet "media" obsession with being first with your "take". 12 years from now, McDavid might have several cups and have taken down a few of the big records, and this dingus will point to himself being first to call him the GOAT. Of all the players in the league, he has the best chance to get there. But he is nowhere near some of the legends that have come before him when looking at the whole picture.

I mean, I am not sure I take him to build a franchise around over Peter Forsberg or Joe Sakic in their prime. Teemu. Messier. Stevie Y. They are all just more complete hockey players.
McDavid isn’t half the diver Floopa was.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If "some" = 7 of 8 seasons missing the playoffs. In a league that only had the bottom 5 of 21 teams miss the playoffs.

The one season they made the playoffs during that stretch, Lemieux had his career high 199 points. Then came back from injury playing less than 1/3 of the regular season to lead the team to their first Stanley Cup scoring his career high points in a postseason.
So was the rest of the roster just an absolute toxic dump? To only squeeze in once and on the back of a Herculean effort at that, what the hell was the issue?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So was the rest of the roster just an absolute toxic dump? To only squeeze in once and on the back of a Herculean effort at that, what the hell was the issue?
The major improvements came in 1990 partly from the addition of Jagr (rookie) and "the trade" that brought in Francis and Ulf, in addition to other trades that brought in Murphy and Joey Mullen

And dare I say it, Barrasso was an improvement over Meloche.

Last edited:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
It was partly the addition of Jagr (rookie) and "the trade" that brought in Francis and Ulf, in addition to other trades that brought in Murphy and Joey Mullen

Lest we forget Badger Bob behind the bench :thumb:

/I like alliteration