• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
group of the parents got to talking about this last night after my sons game (we got to talking about hockey culture after an opposing player mocked one of our players with the same type of thing Trump did with that disabled reporter at a rally once - hand to the chest and shaking it thing :L )

what do you think it will take for any of these 5 players to resume their careers? ... is acquittal enough or are they cooked at this point ?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
group of the parents got to talking about this last night after my sons game (we got to talking about hockey culture after an opposing player mocked one of our players with the same type of thing Trump did with that disabled reporter at a rally once - hand to the chest and shaking it thing :L )

what do you think it will take for any of these 5 players to resume their careers? ... is acquittal enough or are they cooked at this point ?

I really can't seem them resuming their respective careers in the NHL - I think it's either Europe or the KHL if they still want to play pro hockey. Even if they are acquitted, I think the court of public opinion has spoken and these guys will be vilified in every city they visit.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't seem them resuming their respective careers in the NHL - I think it's either Europe or the KHL if they still want to play pro hockey.
as one of the dads mentioned ... "theres always edmonton"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose never say never, but Slava Voynov doesn't appear to be in any hurry to apply for reinstatement to the NHL:

LOS ANGELES (AP) A judge has dismissed a misdemeanor domestic abuse conviction against former Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynov, a move that could clear a path for his return to the NHL.

The judge granted Voynov's request to dismiss his conviction on Monday - over the objection of Los Angeles County prosecutors - three years after he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of corporal injury to a spouse.

Police said he punched, kicked and choked his wife at their Redondo Beach home in October 2014 after a fight that began at a party attended by other Kings players. He served almost two months in jail and voluntarily agreed to return to Russia after he was taken into custody by U.S. immigration officials.

The Kings terminated Voynov's $25 million contract in 2015 but with his conviction overturned, he can request a hearing with the NHL commissioner to apply for reinstatement.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trial date unlikely before 2026

From my understanding, they are all still getting paid by their respective clubs correct? The only way that would change is if a team decided to terminate a contract and I don't see that happening until a verdict is reached in the trial.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my understanding, they are all still getting paid by their respective clubs correct? The only way that would change is if a team decided to terminate a contract and I don't see that happening until a verdict is reached in the trial.
yeah dont terminate, we dont want edmonton picking them up as they dont seem to care

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't seem them resuming their respective careers in the NHL - I think it's either Europe or the KHL if they still want to play pro hockey. Even if they are acquitted, I think the court of public opinion has spoken and these guys will be vilified in every city they visit.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no NHL club would just up and terminate a contract on suspicious grounds without all the facts being known. The league and player's association would never stand for it.

At least the league has shown time and again that sexual assault is a bridge too far. The punishments they hand down for it are devastating stuff. No chance of anyone involved keeping their jobs or being reinstated. Could you imagine how terrible it would be if the league had someone involved in this speak to the owners and GMs seeking re-instatment? It would be a shit show.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like the Flyers knew, though. Sens too.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flames have issued a statement - It's being met with incredulity by most people.

We have now become aware of the charge of sexual assault that has been laid against Dillon Dube. We take this matter very seriously. Because the matter is now pending legal proceedings, we will have no further comment at this time.

We had no knowledge of pending charges at the time Dillon’s request for a leave of absence was granted.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flames have issued a statement - It's being met with incredulity by most people.

We have now become aware of the charge of sexual assault that has been laid against Dillon Dube. We take this matter very seriously. Because the matter is now pending legal proceedings, we will have no further comment at this time.

We had no knowledge of pending charges at the time Dillon’s request for a leave of absence was granted.

Jerry Seinfeld Agree GIF

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

stringer-bell-atef.gif

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

200w.gif

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What you need to ask yourself is which one of them is actually good enough to make a team gloss over all this. Formenton was trending towards being a very valuable player but not playing in the league for like 3-4 years (once this is done even with an acquittal) won't have been good for his development.

If an acquittal happens and there is some kind of reverse smoking gun they'll still be viewed as scumbags, but teams employ even moderately talented scumbags with regularity. Still I think they're all KHL bound if they get acquittal. There is no real star power here.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you need to ask yourself is which one of them is actually good enough to make a team gloss over all this. Formenton was trending towards being a very valuable player but not playing in the league for like 3-4 years (once this is done even with an acquittal) won't have been good for his development.

If an acquittal happens and there is some kind of reverse smoking gun they'll still be viewed as scumbags, but teams employ even moderately talented scumbags with regularity. Still I think they're all KHL bound if they get acquittal. There is no real star power here.
i think the nhl feels this too. They can sacrifice these 5 for that reason alone if they get aquitted. You have to think that there is enough evidence here for the police to take this to charges. This is not 5 black kids from a bad area, these are white (ex)good canadian boys they are charging which makes me believe the cops have more than enough evidence. Id be shocked if they all didn't dye their hair blonde in solidarity.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with Kenny, but at the same time, It's kind of a sad commentary on sports/life that we tend to overlook or make excuses for major transgressions by people if they can help the team we root for win a championship or they entertain us via music or film. These five guys are good hockey players, but are not star players and with all the bad stuff that has come out regarding Hockey Canada (slush fund created to pay out victims of abuse to keep things quiet etc.), these guys are going to pay a heavy price even if they are acquitted.