• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took that LONG to get those deals done for Drysdale and Zegras. Seems like no brainer moves that should have been done months ago.

I dunno. I feel like that Drysdale deal could be an absolute steal by year 3. Zegras could be a deal as well, but a guy who projects as a PPQB, #1RD for a cap hit of $2.3M?

I think Drysdale:

A) is not feeling fully back to 100% and wants some security or,

B) needs a new agent

At that AAV I wouldn't have taken a 3rd year. Still RFA at that point as well.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took that LONG to get those deals done for Drysdale and Zegras. Seems like no brainer moves that should have been done months ago.
Zegras it seems like Anaheim maybe wanted him on longer term and hoped he would see the light. He didn't.

Drysdale it seems might've just been pissed off. This is what Friedman wrote yesterday:

The biggest hurdle here surrounds the torn labrum Drysdale suffered in 2022-23. It limited him to eight games, two below the cutline for an “accumulated season” toward salary arbitration. As a result, the young defender is two years away from eligibility for that process, not one. The Ducks are wielding that hammer, hard.

One Ducks fan asked why Drysdale doesn’t sign a one-year, prove-it deal at a lower salary. I’m not convinced that option is open to him. Team and agent aren’t publicly talking, but it’s believed the Ducks want term. Anaheim was never under investigation for how it handled Drysdale’s return, but I did hear there was some grumbling about him not being able to play at the end of the season.

Recognizing that Drysdale hasn’t spoken yet, I have some clarity on the issue. If you go back and look at the stories from when he was injured, they reported four-to-six months. Of course, a finely tuned athlete is going to target four. It obviously didn’t occur for the reasons Verbeek mentioned
(Verbeek basically said it was always 6 months and that there was no chance Drysdale could've returned). That said, what I do think has happened here is that players — particularly young ones — are noticing the consequences of Drysdale missing those two games. It’s definitely come up in conversation between them that Anaheim’s negotiating position improved through Drysdale’s absence.

So he may have been either hoping they move him or sign a shorter deal so he can maybe sign for bigger money heading into his arb year. Either way, of the two players my guess is Zegras is fine but Drysdale is probably pretty pissed off. Good to have a young motivated player, but sucks when he remembers that down the road.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. I feel like that Drysdale deal could be an absolute steal by year 3. Zegras could be a deal as well, but a guy who projects as a PPQB, #1RD for a cap hit of $2.3M?

I think Drysdale:

A) is not feeling fully back to 100% and wants some security or,

B) needs a new agent

At that AAV I wouldn't have taken a 3rd year. Still RFA at that point as well.
I guess I should have prefaced I was making mention from the Ducks side. Both those deals look like steals to me and it seems neither player got paid what they wanted or perceived market value. But I guess maybe neither wants to be in Anaheim long term?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zegras it seems like Anaheim maybe wanted him on longer term and hoped he would see the light. He didn't.

Drysdale it seems might've just been pissed off. This is what Friedman wrote yesterday:

The biggest hurdle here surrounds the torn labrum Drysdale suffered in 2022-23. It limited him to eight games, two below the cutline for an “accumulated season” toward salary arbitration. As a result, the young defender is two years away from eligibility for that process, not one. The Ducks are wielding that hammer, hard.

One Ducks fan asked why Drysdale doesn’t sign a one-year, prove-it deal at a lower salary. I’m not convinced that option is open to him. Team and agent aren’t publicly talking, but it’s believed the Ducks want term. Anaheim was never under investigation for how it handled Drysdale’s return, but I did hear there was some grumbling about him not being able to play at the end of the season.

Recognizing that Drysdale hasn’t spoken yet, I have some clarity on the issue. If you go back and look at the stories from when he was injured, they reported four-to-six months. Of course, a finely tuned athlete is going to target four. It obviously didn’t occur for the reasons Verbeek mentioned
(Verbeek basically said it was always 6 months and that there was no chance Drysdale could've returned). That said, what I do think has happened here is that players — particularly young ones — are noticing the consequences of Drysdale missing those two games. It’s definitely come up in conversation between them that Anaheim’s negotiating position improved through Drysdale’s absence.

So he may have been either hoping they move him or sign a shorter deal so he can maybe sign for bigger money heading into his arb year. Either way, of the two players my guess is Zegras is fine but Drysdale is probably pretty pissed off. Good to have a young motivated player, but sucks when he remembers that down the road.
Yeah to me it seems like the Ducks screwed them both over. That Drysdale deal, if he plays at an elite level with the Ducks essentially playing for the lottery the next two seasons. He can pull in a kings ransom due to how affordable that deal is.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched a period of Spencer Martin hockey.

I understand why he was on waivers now. Slow of foot, can't put his stick on the ice if his life depended on it, and seems to believe the posts are 11 feet apart.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I have watched a period of Spencer Martin hockey.

I understand why he was on waivers now. Slow of foot, can't put his stick on the ice if his life depended on it, and seems to believe the posts are 11 feet apart.
Just unbelievable he had that six game stretch of .950
Kid was lights out. And then.... *poof*

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just unbelievable he had that six game stretch of .950
Kid was lights out. And then.... *poof*
In the second and third he's made a ton of desperation saves. So out of position and is panicking into a few stops. It's been something to watch.

The mouth breathers are loving it. Doing the exact same things they skewer Elvis for, just not as well as Elvis can.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like his goaltending style is "Fuck it, let's try throwing this body part at it"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there's no reason that the Cup needs to be awarded in June and we all know the owners won't agree to play less games during the regular season. That pretty much leaves starting the season earlier as the only option.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember as a kid playoffs started beginning of April. Each round was two weeks, you played every other day, and the Final was over by American Memorial day. Now it is milk TV money as much as we can and the players need more rest between games.

Baby Boomers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent seen him play, and selectively choosing 15 games seems a bit arbitrary.

I do note that only one player (Stutzle) from that draft has scored more goals so far

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laf's goal production has gone down every year since his rookie season. He's also behind like 10 other guys in goals per game.
not one canuck draft pick has seen one game of action. I get its only 3 years ago but they are barely on our radar...

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah looking at those names it wouldn’t shock me if none are left in the system. Maybe Jason Truscott?

I was surprised that Laf had such low point totals. he should come over here for a 4th round pick :) and Tyler Myers.