• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 3 years I made a living off my BMX bike and rode in a lot of the contests that were the predecessor to the X Games. I've had 5 diagnosed concussions, 2 of them major and did so much damage to my knee that I have regular appointments every 4 months for steroid shots. I've had 5 different arthroscopic procedures and I know my knee will have to be replaced but my Dr isn't ready to do so yet. Because they only last 15 years and the second one is much harder than the first. My total of Meniscus tears is 4. And I came out better than a lot of my friends. Fortunately, I didn't fall into the painkiller trap or using alternative self medication like some guys did. When I was hurt I focused on Physical Therapy to get back. Then again, my sport was individualized and I didn't have a team pushing me so I didn't push myself to "play hurt".

CTE is my major fear. A guy I knew and rode with in those years was super successful, even owned his own bike company. Made a few million bucks with a bike and one day decided he'd had enough of the headaches and strain of head injuries and killed himself. Of course, no one knew the extent of the damage he'd done to himself until the autopsy. Was a huge wake up moment for all of us from back then. And hearing his stories of the mood swings and slowly onsetting memory issues gives us stuff to look for. CTE isn't diagnosable while the patient is alive so I will never know for sure. I'm donating my brain to researchers so someday, Mrs 43 will know how bad I messed myself up.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 3 years I made a living off my BMX bike and rode in a lot of the contests that were the predecessor to the X Games. I've had 5 diagnosed concussions, 2 of them major and did so much damage to my knee that I have regular appointments every 4 months for steroid shots. I've had 5 different arthroscopic procedures and I know my knee will have to be replaced but my Dr isn't ready to do so yet. Because they only last 15 years and the second one is much harder than the first. My total of Meniscus tears is 4. And I came out better than a lot of my friends. Fortunately, I didn't fall into the painkiller trap or using alternative self medication like some guys did. When I was hurt I focused on Physical Therapy to get back. Then again, my sport was individualized and I didn't have a team pushing me so I didn't push myself to "play hurt".

CTE is my major fear. A guy I knew and rode with in those years was super successful, even owned his own bike company. Made a few million bucks with a bike and one day decided he'd had enough of the headaches and strain of head injuries and killed himself. Of course, no one knew the extent of the damage he'd done to himself until the autopsy. Was a huge wake up moment for all of us from back then. And hearing his stories of the mood swings and slowly onsetting memory issues gives us stuff to look for. CTE isn't diagnosable while the patient is alive so I will never know for sure. I'm donating my brain to researchers so someday, Mrs 43 will know how bad I messed myself up.

My brother was an emerging soccer star at a young age. He was a terrific Goalie (and a chess wizard). His IQ was off the charts. When he was 13 he was playing goal and hurt his knee. I believe he tore his ACL in 1978 and when it happened he went down hard and got a knee to the head and knocked him out. The doctors prescribed him heavy pain killers and put him on Morphine at the hospital at 13 years old...... Morphine. We had no idea what a concussion was at that age but he began acting out and getting more and more into trouble. his behavior was erratic and addictive after that day and he never recovered. He became an alcoholic, heavy drug user and dealt with anger issues. The drugs eventually got harder and he became a full blown addict to crack. My brothers and I tried to check him into any rehab we could back in the early 90s and he got kicked out of every one in BC and some in Alberta. The last we saw of him was in the downtown east side in a hotel that apparently was only for HIV cases back in 2000. We picked him up to tell him our father had died of a brain aneurysm (also a talented soccer player that had head injuries), my father was an alcoholic for most of his life and anger issues (the booze we always blamed on the hotel industry he worked in for most his life). My dad eventually stopped drinking and was more miserable for the remaining years of his life.

I suspect both suffer(ed) from CTE or at least my father did and my brother who now is57 may be as well and if still alive could be soon in that age category that @puckhead shared.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Murphy tops my list
I know, what the hell was he doing rushing up the ice with Gretzky and Lemieux in the 87 Canada Cup final? At least Hawerchuk hooked that Ruskie so he couldn’t get back in the play - what did Larry do?

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, what the hell was he doing rushing up the ice with Gretzky and Lemieux in the 87 Canada Cup final? At least Hawerchuk hooked that Ruskie so he couldn’t get back in the play - what did Larry do?
The lack of any kind of physicality for a defenseman his size in that era drove me crazy.

/he always just rubbed me the wrong way and he had that very punchable face.

Same thing with Matthew Barnaby. I don’t remember him ever winning a fight as a Penguin

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, it's Dr. Mark Recchi - As for team I think of, it's a toss-up for me between Boston and Pittsburgh.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of him from.. he can go fuck himself
I was lucky enough to form a new memory of Dr Mark in the spring in Kamloops ... during the Scotties tournament of hearts ... couple of old ladies underneath this street sign out front of the Sandman Centre. Pissed drunk and puking. Pulled out my phone to take pictures but my wife asked me what the hell I was doing ... I told her I gotta send these pictures to Mike but she wasnt letting me :pout:

1683907551802.png

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was lucky enough to form a new memory of Dr Mark in the spring in Kamloops ... during the Scotties tournament of hearts ... couple of old ladies underneath this street sign out front of the Sandman Centre. Pissed drunk and puking. Pulled out my phone to take pictures but my wife asked me what the hell I was doing ... I told her I gotta send these pictures to Mike but she wasnt letting me :pout:

View attachment 328462
at least you got to witness it lol

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when I joked about betting against sun belt teams in the playoffs?

Well we could get a final four of Vegas, Dallas, Florida and Carolina.

Maybe not all sun belt but it’s gotta be Gary’s crown jewel, even surpassing his three lockouts.

/and if Edmonton wins that series, how much different is Edmonton than any other city in Texas?

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when I joked about betting against sun belt teams in the playoffs?

Well we could get a final four of Vegas, Dallas, Florida and Carolina.

Maybe not all sun belt but it’s gotta be Gary’s crown jewel, even surpassing his three lockouts.

/and if Edmonton wins that series, how much different is Edmonton than any other city in Texas?

Well that depends, how many hookers can you get for $163 in any city in Texas?