• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting the old gang back together lol
Seems like a rehashed wrestling story line where a wrestling faction splits into two different groups and then after months of feuding a few of the geriatric members get back together to start the original faction over.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt read the article, but what caught my eye was the median age of BOTH groups. The term "enforcer" can be defined in different ways but OMG both means are ridiculously low
After the NHL solves the concussion/CTE problem, then they can start looking into the problem of amphetamine and painkiller use in the NHL and it's effect on life expectancy in former players.

Thank God we have someone as serious at Gary Bettman in charge of getting to the bottom of it all.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is tough and the recovery is not easy. And just about guarantees he will have knee replacement surgery when he is older.

What is the recovery after cartilage repair?​

Very generally speaking, patients will spend 1-3 days in the hospital, then use crutches for 8 weeks. They can return to stationary biking at 4-6 weeks, swimming and elliptical trainer at 8-12 weeks, and light jogging at 1 year. Unrestricted activities such as basketball, squash or longer-distance running is permitted after 18 months.
Yikes.

I can't imagine that being something that you ever come back from at NHL level play.
icymi

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy

cc: gary fucking bettman

After the NHL solves the concussion/CTE problem, then they can start looking into the problem of amphetamine and painkiller use in the NHL and it's effect on life expectancy in former players.

Thank God we have someone as serious at Gary Bettman in charge of getting to the bottom of it all.
That 57.7 average age of death for the control group really is an eye opener. My sons coach this year was once a goaltending prospect with the NYR. Never played an NHL game but played in the IHL in a tandem with Mike Richter. Has had a relatively successful run in the business world post playing career but he has been through some shit in his life as a hockey player. He's still active but always in pain (and was always pushing naturopathic remedies on the kids to deal with knocks/injuries lol). I had looked at his hockeydb page before but never noticed that he is only 56 ... looks and moves like he is in his late 60's :gaah:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stories I have read about this surgery don't bode well for him. Even with the best training staffs there is very little guarantee. Lets hope it goes well for him.

Similar topic I knew I guy who blew out his knee playing college football. When he was in his fifties he ended up having knee replacement surgery. He had nothing but complications for over a year after, the only solution was amputation.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks here know I am closely related to a former NHL player - He would not fall into the enforcer category, but he certainly took his fair share of lumps during his playing days and to this day takes an assortment of painkillers to deal with a bad back amongst other things. I think his commitment to staying in the best shape possible is the main reason he's not a mess physically. The drugs he has taken though have done a number mentally though (mainly memory and other cognitive issues).

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks here know I am closely related to a former NHL player - He would not fall into the enforcer category, but he certainly took his fair share of lumps during his playing days and to this day takes an assortment of painkillers to deal with a bad back amongst other things. I think his commitment to staying in the best shape possible is the main reason he's not a mess physically. The drugs he has taken though have done a number mentally though (mainly memory and other cognitive issues).
Oh I can only imagine the issues.

It also didn't help until recent years' protection for your head was non-existent.
On the topic of that. I was at my primary care physician just last week, we had some discussions about my stroke. One topic NEVER came up until this conversation, he asked me if I ever had a concussion. I told him I am not aware of any diagnosed but I can guarantee that I had them. When we played hockey and you had your "bell rung" we know today that was most likely a concussion.

His response to be me was "Huh..." just imagine that response in the tone of.... oh shit I think I know what caused this man's stroke type of response.

After the "huh..." he told he will do more research and might ask me to take a few more tests in the near future.

Little did I know there is a direct correlation to concussions and increased likelihood of strokes.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks here know I am closely related to a former NHL player
For those not aware:
19990312BARNABYM.JPG