• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

On Flyers Goalie Puckhandling

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think this will be the most important change to the team this season.. ahead of streit, ahead of lecavalier, ahead of buying out bryz and briere.. the puck movement from the goalie will make the biggest impact on the W-L column

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think this will be the most important change to the team this season.. ahead of streit, ahead of lecavalier, ahead of buying out bryz and briere.. the puck movement from the goalie will make the biggest impact on the W-L column

I can agree with this completely. The only thing that ever amazed me with Bryz was when he actually handled a puck well --- needless to say he rarely ever amazed me.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree::agree::agree::agree:

You cant get any worse than bryz is at handling the puck i dont even know how an NHL caliber goalie can be that bad at that particular skill.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a goalie who was horrible at handling the puck....let me tell you....a puck moving goalie makes all the difference on the backside and moral of the defense. Being able to buy the defenseman a second or more can be the difference between being able to make a clean outlet and getting slammed. Think of the number of times that Svoboda or Haller or anyone was able to make a clean outlet thanks to Hextall or Snow made that little pass/settle that Roussell or Soderstrom or well, most other goalies failed to make.

Mason is an above average puck handler and moves quickly on the ice. Emery has lost a full step from his pre hip injury days but still moves faster than most NHL goalies. Both are above average at being able to stop the puck on wrap arounds and make quick feeds to the half boards. That is a skill that was lacking in Bryzgolov. That is something that Bob has worked on daily since coming to North America. Boucher in his prime was capable of at least stopping and settling wrap arounds. He could help the defense. Biron was at least willing to try. Hackett was actually very adept at stopping wrap arounds and at making quick chip passes but not at the more dramatic puck handling. Esche was very good at stopping and controlling wrap arounds but lacked finesse on his passing, Chech was horrible at handling the puck....

.... one thing that I learned in my limited time playing this game that we all love, if you can't handle the puck and control the puck you better be able to stop the puck. If you have holes in your ability to stop the puck you better be able to help the defense in other ways.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see the Toronto game? Were Mason's 3 goals against his fault or more defensive breakdowns?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the video to play. Might be a firewall issue at my office. :(

One goal Gill was swimming and a leafs players went right by him while laying down on the ice total bad play by Gill. Another leaf goal was a breakaway. It said Stolarz stopped 14 of 15 and mason 12 of 15 shots.

FYI Schenn had a goal and an assist.