• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OMG I really hope this is a joke

special700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maria Sharapova, the richest female athlete in the world, is planning the most audacious move of her career — changing her surname to Sugarpova for the two-week duration of the US Open, in honour of her line of sweets.

The 26-year-old Russian, a former world No 1, has asked about a “quickie” name-change through the Supreme Court of Florida, where she has a base, and would revert to Sharapova after the tournament. It is understood also that the striking emblem of Sugarpova candy, a pair of red lips will feature somewhere on her attire during the final grand slam of the year.

It is an extraordinary ruse by Sharapova and IMG, her management company, and there are no legal barriers to stop her. Sources close to the star, who split last week from her new coach, Jimmy Connors, in Cincinnati after only a single match together, say that she is willing to see whether the change can be made in time.

Sugarpova, the company, is owned by the athlete, who founded it with an estimated $500,000 of her own money. The sweets come in 15 varieties that have labels like “flirty”, “sassy” and “smitten”. It has been called “the Spice Girls of the candy world” and it is estimated that 1.8 million bags of the confection, which cost $5 a packet, were sold worldwide last year, with special emphasis on Russia, the United States and Europe. There are outlets in Selfridges stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham.

Should she be able to go through the necessary paperwork, it is understood that she may still need the permission of the grand slam committee. If it agrees, she could be introduced, addressed and have scores called out in favour of Miss Sugarpova for as long as the No 3 seed remains in the event.

The plan comes hard on the heels of the recent announcement that Sharapova, who won her breakthrough grand slam at Wimbledon as a 17-year-old in 2004, has for the ninth year in succession been named as the world’s highest-paid female athlete. On top of her $6 million in earnings, her first victory at the French Open last year brought bonuses in her endorsement deals that topped out at $23 million. That put her almost $8 million ahead of the world No 1, Serena Williams.

There is a celebration tonight on Fifth Avenue, New York, of the first anniversary of the Sugarpova brand. She will unveil an accessory collection. There was no comment from IMG, but it is likely that an announcement confirming Sharapova’s move could be made at the event. Max Eisenbud, Sharapova’s manager, has added Britain’s No 1, Laura Robson, to his stable.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/...cle3847544.ece

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? It's just a temporary thing to promote her product. Not a biggie to me.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She is kinda hot... but this is a PR stunt that is 100% stupid.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She wants to change her name for the one match that she will play in, and lose? :noidea:

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's awesome, i want some sugarpova. :laugh3:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The candy comes in a container molded from her labia and you have to __________ in order to get the candy...

nevermind...

lol, and when it is empty you can fill it with water to make the "Shara-peea"

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The candy comes in a container molded from her labia and you have to __________ in order to get the candy...

nevermind...just put your face in the box.

who said anything about the candy?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's why she's the richest female athlete in sports history

it's very sad for the WTA and womens' sports, imo

the reason the overwhelming majority of guys watch the wta is to hear the sex shrieks when they hit the ball, and see cleavage/legs.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nevermind...just put your face in the box.

I'll give her Surgarpussa a lick or two!!!!

:lol:

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the reason the overwhelming majority of guys watch the wta is to hear the sex shrieks when they hit the ball, and see cleavage/legs.

I don't watch her... but I would pay to see her and Williams go toe to toe MMA style. I think Mrs. Williams would tear her up....

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why else would a man care about women's tennis?

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she does a nude spread with her candies that might make me buy some.... if not changing her name wont matter

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't waste time watching any sport unless it's for the sport.

It's what adults do with their time.

However, most guys don't see women's tennis as a sport, so I understand why they watch.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't waste time watching any sport unless it's for the sport.

It's what adults do with their time.

However, most guys don't see women's tennis as a sport, so I understand why they watch.

Well, I don't waste time watching any girl unless it's for the girl. :yahoo:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

fair enough

given your reason for watching women's sports, please tell me you don't watch the WNBA, though. or any of the field events at the olympics, i guess.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

fair enough

given your reason for watching women's sports, please tell me you don't watch the WNBA, though. or any of the field events at the olympics, i guess.

No. I do like to watch gymnastics, though. Gymnastics is one of my favorite sports. They are all amazing beautiful athletes (females, of course, NOT the males) who look fantastic doing all of the extremely difficult things they do.