• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Old Movies You Should See

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naturally, I haven't seen all of those classics, but of the ones I have, I really only disagree with one.

Once Upon a Time in the West. I can't tell you how many times folks in my father's generation tell me how great that movie is. It was soooo boring, I never made it through an hour before turning it off. People want to criticize current movies for "dragging" or being "slow" in parts—well, Once Upon a Time is almost a whole movie of that.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old is relative lol. To me, Rio Bravo is an old movie. To my son's, Die Hard is ancient

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naturally, I haven't seen all of those classics, but of the ones I have, I really only disagree with one.

Once Upon a Time in the West. I can't tell you how many times folks in my father's generation tell me how great that movie is. It was soooo boring, I never made it through an hour before turning it off. People want to criticize current movies for "dragging" or being "slow" in parts—well, Once Upon a Time is almost a whole movie of that.

I never saw that one but there were a lot on that list that I did. A lot of good Bogart movies, Dr Strangelove, Westerns, Hitchcock. Too many Charlie Chaplin movies but the Buster Keaton movie "The General" is a silent film worth seeing.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That list looks like it was thrown together.
A lot of Crap movies on it.

I would suggest....
The Godfather
Rear Window
Monte Python
Wizard of Oz
Man who shot Liberty Valance
Grapes of Wrath
Last Picture Show
Stalag 17
Bridge on the River Kwai
Patton
Cool Hand Luke.

That's about it.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to see all quiet on the western front and modern times on that list, and wages of fear. How is mr. roberts not on it??? I would add sergeant york and pride of the yankees.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That list looks like it was thrown together.
A lot of Crap movies on it.

I would suggest....
The Godfather
Rear Window
Monte Python
Wizard of Oz
Man who shot Liberty Valance
Grapes of Wrath
Last Picture Show
Stalag 17
Bridge on the River Kwai
Patton
Cool Hand Luke.

That's about it.

There's certainly some movies I didn't particularly care for on the list, but I don't know if I'd call them crap. They are all considered classics. Some people like different things. It's a good cross between genres and decades. Though I will double down on the too much Chaplin. I say that having watched every movie on the list except for Yojimbo.

I've seen this site make a few lists like this recently ranking actors movies using that smart rating. No idea how it's formulated, but it seems to vary wildly from my tastes from actor to actor.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's certainly some movies I didn't particularly care for on the list, but I don't know if I'd call them crap.

It's just that the person who put this together fell so short.
Such better movies out there that didn't get on the list/
Like he just threw it together without too much thought.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gone with the Wind is the type of movie that shouldn't be on this kind of list and it is.

A top 20 would be more helpful. Nobody is going to watch all of those

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gone with the Wind is the type of movie that shouldn't be on this kind of list and it is.

A top 20 would be more helpful. Nobody is going to watch all of those

Cinephiles will and have. Only one on that list I haven't seen. Granted, I saw Sleuth on the list yesterday and it sounded good, so I decided to watch it. I wasn't disappointed.

Just curious, why shouldn't Gone with the Wind be on this type of list? There's plenty of lists out there if you're looking for something to fit your specific tastes better.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cinephiles will and have. Only one on that list I haven't seen. Granted, I saw Sleuth on the list yesterday and it sounded good, so I decided to watch it. I wasn't disappointed.

Just curious, why shouldn't Gone with the Wind be on this type of list? There's plenty of lists out there if you're looking for something to fit your specific tastes better.
I was assuming this list wasn't for cinaphiles. Gone with the Wind is a dated epic about people falling off horses. Its great because of when it came out and the actors and the scope and a handful of classic lines. I doubt youd get many uninitiated to sit through it unlike something like Casablanca which feels modern by comparison.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was assuming this list wasn't for cinaphiles. Gone with the Wind is a dated epic about people falling off horses. Its great because of when it came out and the actors and the scope and a handful of classic lines. I doubt youd get many uninitiated to sit through it unlike something like Casablanca which feels modern by comparison.

And this is where you never know what a broader audience will think. I hated Casablanca. Not a huge fan of Gone With the Wind, but it was nicer to look at, if nothing else.

I guess sit through is the key word. A lot of times a movie could be background noise for me if it's doing nothing for me. The only exceptions would be foreign films, were i'm resigned to the fact even if I don't like it, my eyes will be focused on it for the most part.

Again, I think this list is a pretty good guideline for some movies some may have never seen that might interest them. Even if that's just based on a genre they've never heard of. I understand most don't have a lot of time to watch movies here and there, so they have to be more selective in their time commitments.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess upon reading the first page, I finally figured out what made the smart rating:

This is a score out of 100 that takes into account a movie's Rotten Tomatoes' Tomatometer and Audience Score, IMDb rating and votes, Metacritic Metascore and Gracenote rating. Only films with more than 25,000 IMDb votes were eligible for the list. In the case of a tie, the movie with more IMDb votes was favored.

It's important to note that PrettyFamous' Smart Rating typically weighs a movie's U.S. inflation-adjusted box office gross, but the box office data from the beginning of the 20th century is flawed or lacking. PrettyFamous thus decided to modify the Smart Rating to exclude box office numbers, thereby making the Smart Rating more consistent among all classic films.

Doesn't seem like the best way to rank movies pre 1975.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is where you never know what a broader audience will think. I hated Casablanca. Not a huge fan of Gone With the Wind, but it was nicer to look at, if nothing else.

I guess sit through is the key word. A lot of times a movie could be background noise for me if it's doing nothing for me. The only exceptions would be foreign films, were i'm resigned to the fact even if I don't like it, my eyes will be focused on it for the most part.

Again, I think this list is a pretty good guideline for some movies some may have never seen that might interest them. Even if that's just based on a genre they've never heard of. I understand most don't have a lot of time to watch movies here and there, so they have to be more selective in their time commitments.
I didn't hate Casablanca but I think that it is definitely overrated and not this all time classic that everyone makes it out to be.

The movie I was surprised wasn't on there was Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hate Casablanca but I think that it is definitely overrated and not this all time classic that everyone makes it out to be.

The movie I was surprised wasn't on there was Mr. Smith goes to Washington.
And that's why I think it's a good list, it really shouldn't be about the movies you've seen that aren't on there. Hopefully it's about the movies you haven't seen that might peak your interest. Again, I saw all but two, but then seeing sleuth, downloaded that and watched it. As far as Yojimbo, it's not that it hasn't been on my radar, I had it in my queue to watch for about a year now, just never got around to it.

As far as casablanca goes, I know what is overrated to me, but some may like it for whatever reason. I can't see anyone from this crowd liking it, that's where you pick and choose.

That being said, I know war movies were a topic the other day. I mentioned the Battle of Algiers, as no one mentioned it and no one touched upon it after. It's a good war movie. It's foreign, so it has subtitles and that throws people off. But if you like war movies, it's worth a watch. No sides taken, just a movie showing what happened.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
based off the list, it was 1975 and below, so that wouldn't be included. that being said, i've come to this thread just because it is talking about older movies, and since omar went off the rails and left, i don't know if there's a market out here that's interested in it.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogus list. It doesn't even have 'The Incredible Shrinking Man' on it.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any list without "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" on it is horseshit.

LOL. I loved that film as a kid..

They weren't all winners and some may be dated but I liked a lot of them,

The Big Sleep
The Maltese Falcon
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Young Frankenstein
The Searchers
Dr Strangelove.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Wild Bunch

I could see many think Casablanca is overrated but it is still a good story from a different time (i.e. WWII)

The Seventh Seal is absolutely the ultimate artsy, fartsy film (in Swedish with subtitles no less) but it's worth seeing once if only to see someone play chess against Death. You don't see that on TV too often.

Double Indemnity (With my Three Sons, Fred McMurray) is actually a really good film but no one sees it any more.