• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OLB SPOT

Who do you think will win the starting OLB opposite of DeAndre Levy?

• Ashlee Palmer

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Travis Lewis

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Tahir Whitehead

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think will win the starting OLB position opposite of DeAndre Levy for the regular season? Ashlee Palmer, Travis Lewis or Tahir Whitehead?

And also, do the think Carmen Messina could beat out DeAndre Levy for the starting role?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Palmer has the inside track, but never can tell with progression over the summer with younger guys.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Palmer has the inside track, but never can tell with progression over the summer with younger guys.

Linebackers coach Matt Burke says the OLB spot is up for grabs and wants to see one of them stand out. I voted Ashlee Palmer too due to his experience. All three are about the same in size(6'1" or 2") and weight(227 to 236 pounds).

Carmen Messina was showing promise last pre-season as a play maker. Not sure why Messina didn't make the team last season. But after resigning him makes me wonder if their going to make room on the Roster for him this season.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should be said as well......We never question who our #1 reciever is because we know it's CJ......You know you have problems at the LB core when your not certain which two out of three it will be.......I'm sure Levy will get it, but it's not garunteed (sp)

I'm sure Ansah will start, but who will start on the other side? Who's our RT? We have to many question marks to predict 11-5 etc etc....

Who's our # 2 at WR? Broyles or Burelson? I like them both just fine, but with injuries no one knows.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted Ashlee Palmer, who I think is similar in ability to Levy, but I would love to see Whitehead win it. It would tell me the LBs are getting better.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honesty don't think it matters who wins the OLB job. Whether it be Palmer, Whitehead, or whoever else -- It is going to be an area of weakness for the Lions defense.

I think with all the holes going into the offseason with players leaving or being cut -- OLB is the one position the team was not able to address.

Can't really complain though, as the team addressed pretty much every other need on the team. Now we just get to sit back and see how the players we signed or drafted work out for the Lions. I think Detroit will have a much better record this year, but still only see them as a 7-9 or 8-8 team. I think next year the Lions will be much better though, as all the new players on the team will have a year of experience under their belt and understand their role on the team much better.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted Ashlee Palmer, who I think is similar in ability to Levy, but I would love to see Whitehead win it. It would tell me the LBs are getting better.

I would feel better about one of the other two winning the starting role. And yeah, it would say a lot that Palmer isn't getting it due to experience.

It is going to be an area of weakness for the Lions defense.

I gotta disagree with you. We had backups starting in positions they've never played before. I think the LB core couldn't focus on their jobs alone last season because of the lack of trust with those behind them. I'm not trying to make any excuses for them, but I'm not sold on them being the weakness. In 2011 Durrant, Tulloch and Levy were about in the middle of the league IMO.

I think with all the holes going into the offseason with players leaving or being cut -- OLB is the one position the team was not able to address.
I like having starters and drafting depth or gems for upgrades just as much as the next guy. But, I feel far more relaxed with the LB core than I do with the CB core.

I think Detroit will have a much better record this year, but still only see them as a 7-9 or 8-8 team.

I like the matchup the Lions have on their schedule. Especially going to Green Bay in early October rather than December. No real threats of high powered offensives and a few tough defenses we'll be facing. A lot of potential for returning or playoff teams on the schedule. We have a tough start on the road, but our tough games near the end of the season are at home should it matter for a playoff run. A bye at mid-season. The foundation is there and we'll see if the surrounding cast can hold their own and smite that damn injury bug.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it is between palmer and whitehead. experience versus athleticism.
i think whitehead will be able to make the big plays during the preseason and win the job.

as for the team i am putting it out there we... will win... the super bowl.
the wings are clicking and we have reggie bush, quinn, ansha and a new G. things are better, people are healthy and we will win the super bowl

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best scenario would be if Brandon Hepburn won it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think will win the starting OLB position opposite of DeAndre Levy for the regular season? Ashlee Palmer, Travis Lewis or Tahir Whitehead?

And also, do the think Carmen Messina could beat out DeAndre Levy for the starting role?
I think Whitehead comes away with it.

I don't think there's even a slight chance Messina beats out Levy for the other spot, otherwise he'd be in the mix with Palmer, Lewis and Whitehead for the open spot right now. If someone beats out Levy it will be one of the three we're discussing, not Messina. He'll be lucky just to make the 53 man roster...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All three are about the same in size(6'1" or 2") and weight(227 to 236 pounds).
I wouldn't trust those numbers. Guys get a lot bigger in the NFL, yet their listed weight almost never changes from what is listed coming in as a rookie. Palmer is probably closer to 240-245 now, Whitehead is still probably pretty close to his listed weight, maybe a couple of lbs heavier, but Lewis' weight it way off- he was a lot bigger than that coming in, I think they just got passed along some bad intel on his weight... he's closer to 250 than 227.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should be said as well......We never question who our #1 reciever is because we know it's CJ......You know you have problems at the LB core when your not certain which two out of three it will be.......I'm sure Levy will get it, but it's not garunteed (sp)
I don't get what you're trying to say here?

Are you trying to figure out who our best LB is (Tully by a mile)? I don't follow the "which two out of three it will be" part, I guess...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like having starters and drafting depth or gems for upgrades just as much as the next guy. But, I feel far more relaxed with the LB core than I do with the CB core.
Not me. Our CB corps has a lot more talent right now, imo, than does our LB unit...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think our secondary could be pretty decent. Maybe, dare I say it, even kinda good.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ashlee Palmer got a good contract for a special teamer. I think they plan on more from him and the coaching staff likes him. He has been a consistent replacement the last 3 years.

Short of Whitehead coming out of the blue with a fantastic camp IMO it's Palmer's job to lose.

I would have had another option of a veteran cut in camp.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
muzz said:

I don't get what you're trying to say here?

What I got out of it was... it's nice when you know who your number one is. Then muzz was addressing the thread question followed by my Levy/Messina question in the opening post.

tpaul said:
I don't think there's even a slight chance Messina beats out Levy for the other spot, otherwise he'd be in the mix with Palmer, Lewis and Whitehead for the open spot right now. If someone beats out Levy it will be one of the three we're discussing, not Messina. He'll be lucky just to make the 53 man roster...

After thinking about it last night I believe Messina was playing Mike position last pre-season. No question about Tulloch starting at MLB. Could be for a backup or special teams. Messina looked like a play maker from what I saw.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lwm..you don't think our OLBs are going to be a weakness? heh

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how are you more comfortable with the LB than the cb? Interesting. Levy was statistically one of the worst in the league at his position. Tulloch is good, not great and whoever takes the other spot is below average. The secondary as long as it remains healthy has the potential to shine this year.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer the guy that we traded up to get, and giving up a pick to get. We didnt even draft palmer. Unless palmer is substantially better, I would rather see whitehead, even if he isnt the better choice yet.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how are you more comfortable with the LB than the cb? Interesting.

We know what we're getting with Tulloch, Levy and Palmer has shown promise for what little time he's got in. Durrant had experience and multi- talent over Palmer. If Whitehead beats out the other two, that's even better yet. At CB we have Chris Houston and across from him (we hope we're getting at least a number two).

Levy was statistically one of the worst in the league at his position.

Didn't Levy miss two games and struggle through a hammy injury last season? I can't blame Levy for being streaky. For only starting 12 games last season and 11 during his 2nd season kinda puts him at a disadvantage with the rest of the league, wouldn't you say? Both seasons Levy was ranked near the bottom of the barrel.