• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OL Steve Schilling retires.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We his retirement, we have lost 3 OL from last years team (Unger, Carp, Schilling).
This puts a little extra incentive to maybe sign a low cost FA or we be drafting OL like crazy!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say bring Robbie Tobeck out of retirement.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We his retirement, we have lost 3 OL from last years team (Unger, Carp, Schilling).
This puts a little extra incentive to maybe sign a low cost FA or we be drafting OL like crazy!

I thought we were going to be doing a bit of both anyway. Given our seemingly decade-long inability to keep the same group of offensive linemen out on the field at the same time, we should always be looking to add talent to that group in as many ways as possible. Losing both Unger and Carpenter does add a bit more urgency to it from a fan perspective, but from a team perspective... I don't think their departures, one of which the Seahawks themselves initiated and the other of which was not exactly a huge surprise, will cause them to deviate from what was probably already the plan on the offensive line this offseason. Now, they probably had Schilling in the mix at center or guard in that plan, but he was, what, 3rd string behind Unger at center and probably back-up at best at the guard spots? Even if his retirement caught them off guard (pardon the pun) a bit, he's arguably easier to replace than at least Unger and probably Carpenter too.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we were going to be doing a bit of both anyway. Given our seemingly decade-long inability to keep the same group of offensive linemen out on the field at the same time, we should always be looking to add talent to that group in as many ways as possible. Losing both Unger and Carpenter does add a bit more urgency to it from a fan perspective, but from a team perspective... I don't think their departures, one of which the Seahawks themselves initiated and the other of which was not exactly a huge surprise, will cause them to deviate from what was probably already the plan on the offensive line this offseason. Now, they probably had Schilling in the mix at center or guard in that plan, but he was, what, 3rd string behind Unger at center and probably back-up at best at the guard spots? Even if his retirement caught them off guard (pardon the pun) a bit, he's arguably easier to replace than at least Unger and probably Carpenter too.
Yeah, good post. Like you said Unger getting traded was something thing initiated by the Seahawks, so you know they have a plan . Same for Carp. It's going to be interesting to see the plan unfold. The hard part now is waiting for the rest of the offseason to see the whole plan.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see that coming, and I don't get the impression the team did either.

Wiz is still out there. I wonder if his asking price has come down.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, good post. Like you said Unger getting traded was something thing initiated by the Seahawks, so you know they have a plan . Same for Carp. It's going to be interesting to see the plan unfold. The hard part now is waiting for the rest of the offseason to see the whole plan.
A big piece of the plan and they way our FO uses it is to throw as much up against the wall as possible. Collect what is left and coach it up.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see that coming, and I don't get the impression the team did either.

Wiz is still out there. I wonder if his asking price has come down.
I doubt we can swing enough cap room for Wiz, even if he comes at a bargain. Russell and Bobby loom large.

Either way, give me a bunch of Sweezy's and Britt's who play tough to the whistle. They make mistakes and are not great at pass pro, but we have worked around that and been successful.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we can swing enough cap room for Wiz, even if he comes at a bargain. Russell and Bobby loom large.

Probably right.

Either way, give me a bunch of Sweezy's and Britt's who play tough to the whistle. They make mistakes and are not great at pass pro, but we have worked around that and been successful.

Yeah...no. Gotta disagree here, compadre. They are a liability in pass pro, and that's going to get Russ hurt sooner or later.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably right.

Yeah...no. Gotta disagree here, compadre. They are a liability in pass pro, and that's going to get Russ hurt sooner or later.
Solid debate friend. It is expensive to have an OL that is strong in most ways. Since we are built to be a run 1st team that has a killer D, that is where most of the $ goes. I would surmise we have to make concessions somewhere.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a Oline heavy draft for the Hawks. It's fine with me because they need to find people that can stay on the field. Unger was often injured so was Carp and when you are off the field anyone is better than you if you get my point. Bodies are needed and a new oline coach :P

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree as well. Having a bunch of Sweezy's and Britt's at a good price while being coached up will help RW in the long run. Just have to give these guys a chance to form a bond on the O-line.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL that can actually suit up on game day, counts for a bunch. Injuries to the OL have been a curse for way to long. How sweet would it be to see the same starting lineup for a full season from the OL? I know, I'm dreaming the impossible dream.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that some people are more injury prone than others.
Imagine if Lewis wins the job at C, can stay healthy, and we are able to put a reliable guy in at LG. Dang near OL heaven for me. They will gel over time. Okung's contract expires at the end of this season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, Seattle's deeper on the line than most people think. Thanks to all our injuries over the years, our backups have some decent experience. Grab the center out of Oregon (Grassu) who is a day 1 starter and a run mauler, and we're fine (outside of the Rams where Wilson needs to chuck the ball to Jimmy Graham in under 1.5 seconds - or just kneel and wait till.... Foles I guess? Throws an INT).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the backups have some decent experience. Not sure that's the same as being deep though. Plus, a couple of those backups may now be starters with Unger and Carpenter gone. We have some work to do on the OL but plenty of opportunity to do it.