• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OK I'll admit...

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Arizona_Sting Your team is bad. I can see why you want to blow this team up and start over.

Still, Tucker and Chandler are still two quality veteran pieces for any NBA team to have and I'd hate to see you guys just give them away. No one is taking Chandler's contract anyway.

Even if Ben Simmons is going to be a HOF-caliber player on Tim Duncan's level, who currently in the Suns organization is going to be the next Gregg Popovich? Is it Earl Watson? I loved Earl in his brief stint here in Indiana, but I still wouldn't get my hopes up that he's the guy...

That was the ultimate point I was trying to make to you and @trojanfan12 - If you don't have sound player management, winning that one piece in the lottery don't mean diddly squat.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one in the NBA is the next Popovich, there'll never be another coach like him. It's about finding someone that has potential to become a top 10 coach and making management changes from top to bottom.

This is new to me being a Suns fan quite honestly. We are usually in the playoff mix every single year and when we aren't we bounce back the next year and make it, hence why we have the 4th highest winning percentage in NBA history. Typically, I'm used to a sound front office and above average coach with a talented player personnel. We've NEVER had the #1 overall pick in our franchise history, which is a combination of making the playoffs more often than not mixed in with a little bad luck.

The only thing we have going for us is our training staff which is renowned as the best staff in the league hands down. Outside of that our management, owner, roster talent, fan interest, etc. is all declining year by year seemingly since Nash left.

I think cleaning house is the best way to give us a shot to move in the right direction. Typically I never vouch for tanking, but 5 straight years now of being a team with the 13th or 14th pick (minus the year we had the 5th pick in a weak draft) we've been stuck in the late lottery which is BY FAR the worst place to be stuck for multiple years.

Anyways, long story short… this roster needs talent. And like you said talent is no guarantee to success, but it's a start. A new coach, GM, president, etc. would be ideal, but who knows with the clown Rob Sarver running the show.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably the longest post I've ever written on SportsHoopla and it only took like 45 seconds to type, lol.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one in the NBA is the next Popovich, there'll never be another coach like him. It's about finding someone that has potential to become a top 10 coach and making management changes from top to bottom.

This is new to me being a Suns fan quite honestly. We are usually in the playoff mix every single year and when we aren't we bounce back the next year and make it, hence why we have the 4th highest winning percentage in NBA history. Typically, I'm used to a sound front office and above average coach with a talented player personnel. We've NEVER had the #1 overall pick in our franchise history, which is a combination of making the playoffs more often than not mixed in with a little bad luck.

The only thing we have going for us is our training staff which is renowned as the best staff in the league hands down. Outside of that our management, owner, roster talent, fan interest, etc. is all declining year by year seemingly since Nash left.

I think cleaning house is the best way to give us a shot to move in the right direction. Typically I never vouch for tanking, but 5 straight years now of being a team with the 13th or 14th pick (minus the year we had the 5th pick in a weak draft) we've been stuck in the late lottery which is BY FAR the worst place to be stuck for multiple years.

Anyways, long story short… this roster needs talent. And like you said talent is no guarantee to success, but it's a start. A new coach, GM, president, etc. would be ideal, but who knows with the clown Rob Sarver running the show.

Imo, the Suns have been one of, if not the, best run franchise in the NBA for pretty much their entire existence. For some reason though, they never seem to be able to get the guy they need to get them over the top. Closest they've come, imo, was when they had Sir Charles, KJ and Thunder Dan (that team was so much fun to watch), but MJ and the Bulls were in the way.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns have always been a franchise that was good but could never become great, be interesting to see where they go going forward.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rarely right with my predictions, but this one for me was spot on. Will admit that I didn't see the Bledsoe injury coming, which drastically impacts where they're at now.

The Suns have lots of options though. They do have some talented, move-able pieces. Bledsoe would probably be the biggest draw. What I would try to do is keep Knight and trade Bledsoe and Chandler to the Nets for Joe Johnson's expiring and filler. I would then trade Morris to the Grizzlies for Jeff Green and his 9M expiring contract.

With the cap rising, the Suns already have an estimated 22M in cap space and would add an additional 33M, by those two deals.

You have likely a top 5 pick coming in. Just draft BPA, regardless of position.

Fire Hornacek. Hire Luke Walton. Has ties to Arizona, so not that far-fetched.

Then I would try to go after the following guys:

Tier 1: Nic Batum, Al Horford, Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal
Tier 2: Ryan Anderson, Joakim Noah, Arron Afflalo, Jeremy Lin.

You could easily afford 2 top tier players or 1 top tier and upwards of 3 tier 2 players. Personally I would go after Nic Batum and Horford, offering them 20M annually, each. Then use the rest to sign Lin as a super sub (prob close to 10M a year).

Could field an immediate lineup next year of:

Knight, Booker, Batum, Horford, Len
Bench: Lin, Warren, Tucker, Leuer, Draft pick.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news I guess is that we own two of Miami's first rounders way down the road. 2019 and 2021 with both unprotected I believe so hopefully they suck by then, lol. Could be like what Boston is doing to Brooklyn right now.

Thanks Goran.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit.

Signed,

Karl Malone and John Stockton and a Weepy Craig Ehlo

Patrick Ewing 2nds that emotion while sticking pins into a Voodoo doll of the Dream

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rarely right with my predictions, but this one for me was spot on. Will admit that I didn't see the Bledsoe injury coming, which drastically impacts where they're at now.

The Suns have lots of options though. They do have some talented, move-able pieces. Bledsoe would probably be the biggest draw. What I would try to do is keep Knight and trade Bledsoe and Chandler to the Nets for Joe Johnson's expiring and filler. I would then trade Morris to the Grizzlies for Jeff Green and his 9M expiring contract.

With the cap rising, the Suns already have an estimated 22M in cap space and would add an additional 33M, by those two deals.

You have likely a top 5 pick coming in. Just draft BPA, regardless of position.

Fire Hornacek. Hire Luke Walton. Has ties to Arizona, so not that far-fetched.

Then I would try to go after the following guys:

Tier 1: Nic Batum, Al Horford, Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal
Tier 2: Ryan Anderson, Joakim Noah, Arron Afflalo, Jeremy Lin.

You could easily afford 2 top tier players or 1 top tier and upwards of 3 tier 2 players. Personally I would go after Nic Batum and Horford, offering them 20M annually, each. Then use the rest to sign Lin as a super sub (prob close to 10M a year).

Could field an immediate lineup next year of:

Knight, Booker, Batum, Horford, Len
Bench: Lin, Warren, Tucker, Leuer, Draft pick.

I think they are set at SG for now, I'm a huge Booker fan plus they've got Bogdan Bogdanovic coming over from overseas next season and he looks like another sharpshooter with some serious potential. I see a lot of Klay Thompson is Booker's game though, he's smart, has a deadly mid-range game along with a great 3 point stroke, he can score in other crafty ways as well. He's only 19 but already looks like the real deal ever since Bledsoe went down he's averaging 16 PPG I believe.

I think PF and C are the biggest needs for this team currently. Horford would be nice, but he's getting up there in age and doubt he'd sign with a non-contender. As for your Bledsoe proposal, no way would they just give him up to get rid of a contract. He's their best player hands down, yes he does have an injury history, but he's too good of a talent to throw away. I'd rather deal him alone to get value back than just throw him in a deal with Chandler to shed cash.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are set at SG for now, I'm a huge Booker fan plus they've got Bogdan Bogdanovic coming over from overseas next season and he looks like another sharpshooter with some serious potential. I see a lot of Klay Thompson is Booker's game though, he's smart, has a deadly mid-range game along with a great 3 point stroke, he can score in other crafty ways as well. He's only 19 but already looks like the real deal ever since Bledsoe went down he's averaging 16 PPG I believe.

I think PF and C are the biggest needs for this team currently. Horford would be nice, but he's getting up there in age and doubt he'd sign with a non-contender. As for your Bledsoe proposal, no way would they just give him up to get rid of a contract. He's their best player hands down, yes he does have an injury history, but he's too good of a talent to throw away. I'd rather deal him alone to get value back than just throw him in a deal with Chandler to shed cash.

From a talent perspective I agree 100%. But if you can't look at it as simply just giving up a good player, you have to think of who you could possibly replace him with, along with the cap space. You're basically trading Bledsoe, with the expectation that you could afford a Max player in return. At least that's my view on it.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a talent perspective I agree 100%. But if you can't look at it as simply just giving up a good player, you have to think of who you could possibly replace him with, along with the cap space. You're basically trading Bledsoe, with the expectation that you could afford a Max player in return. At least that's my view on it.

True, hypothetically it sounds nice… but with all this turmoil and drama with the FO the last couple years I doubt any max players will want to sign in Phoenix. But who knows… we'll see.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix will never win with Sarver.

He has been one of the worst owners in this era. Constant meddling combined with WTF penny pinching as well.
So many mistakes have been made at the top in the front office it is staggering.

Ownership is a very underrated part of success.

Phoenix has good fans, a decent history, a reasonably attractive destination, a quality arena, draft picks, and likely some cap room.

But, the one thing they dont have AND cannot be changed is poor ownership.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has been one of the worst owners in this era. Constant meddling combined with WTF penny pinching as well.
So many mistakes have been made at the top in the front office it is staggering.

Phoenix has good fans, a decent history, a reasonably attractive destination, a quality arena, draft picks, and likely some cap room.

Winner.

/end thread

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Mcdonough or whatever his name is also a mediocre to below average GM.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really do hope you guys get Simmons, dude (unless of course the Nuggets get him). - But you just can't put all your eggs in that basket, because it rarely works.

I think you guys should offer the Wiz Keef and Sonny Weems for the expiring contract of Nene. They need a PF like fish need water...

This summer I would also see what either the Knicks or Bucks have to offer for Bledsoe, because both teams could use a PG. Maybe get some young talent and stockpile draft picks.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Mcdonough or whatever his name is also a mediocre to below average GM.

He's about average.

Good:

1) Bledsoe for Dudley
2) Green, Plumlee, 1st round pick for Scola
3) Signed Isaiah Thomas to a bargain contract
4) Drafting Booker and Warren at 13 and 14.
5) Getting 2 1st round picks from Miami for Goran's expiring contract.

Bad:
1) Ruining chemistry by signing Thomas then re-signing Bledsoe as well. 3 PG experiment failed miserably.
2) Trading LA's 1st round pick for Knight.
3) Taking Len over Noel (Len has looked better lately)
4) Tyson Chandler contract looks real bad
5) Trading one Morris brother but not the other

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do hope you guys get Simmons, dude (unless of course the Nuggets get him). - But you just can't put all your eggs in that basket, because it rarely works.

I think you guys should offer the Wiz Keef and Sonny Weems for the expiring contract of Nene. They need a PF like fish need water...

This summer I would also see what either the Knicks or Bucks have to offer for Bledsoe, because both teams could use a PG. Maybe get some young talent and stockpile draft picks.

I hope we deal Bledsoe and Knight for picks and young talent and play the young guys. Archie Goodwin and Devin Booker have filled in nicely. Archie has had 3 straight 20+ point games since taking over for Knight and Booker is our SG of the future.

Tucker, Morris and Chandler all seem likely to be dealt as well. Time to rebuild the right. Stack assets, collect picks.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news I guess is that we own two of Miami's first rounders way down the road. 2019 and 2021 with both unprotected I believe so hopefully they suck by then, lol. Could be like what Boston is doing to Brooklyn right now.

Thanks Goran.
trading unprotected or lightly protected picks so far into the future is very risky business. Those are a couple nice little PowerBall tickets the Suns get to sit on for a while.

imagine rebuilding for the next 2-3 years, geting a good young team together...you start rolling- and then all of a sudden you can add a top 5 pick to the team. Lets hope!