• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oh snap: Report: NFL Owners To Re-Evaluate Roger Goodell’s Role In Disciplinary Process

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: NFL Owners To Re-Evaluate Roger Goodell's Role In Disciplinary Process

711563795086938770.gif

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (file photo)

BOSTONicon1.png (CBS) — Roger Goodell lost to Tom Brady in court. That may be the first of more defeats for the NFL commissioner.

According to Mark Maske of The Washington Post, NFL owners will discuss changing the role the commissioner plays in doling out discipline to players.

“Although it’s uncertain whether Goodell’s authority would be reduced, the decision to reevaluate his role resolving appeals is the first solid sign the outcome of Tom Brady’s court case could have a lasting and significant impact on his position,” Maske wrote.

Maske noted that it is “too soon to know” whether there are enough owners who would want to remove Goodell as the arbitrator in disciplinary matters and that there is no timetable for the owners’ discussions. However, a source told Maske, “It will be interesting to see.”

Goodell was, of courseicon1.png, found guilty of running an unfair process in Brady’s case. Judge Richard Berman ruled that the NFL gave Brady no notice of punishment on the level of a four-game suspension for any alleged actions, that the NFL was wrong to not allow Brady’s lawyers to question co-lead investigator Jeff Pash at the appeal hearing in June, and that the NFL was wrong to not share investigative files with Brady’s lawyers prior to the appeal hearing.

Beyond the letter of the law, Judge Berman issued many admonishments of the NFL’s process during the two public meetings between the two sides, an indication that the system in place was faulty on a number of levels.

Last edited:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
step one towards an eventual removal?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL owners to discuss changing Roger Goodell’s role in disciplinary process

NFL owners to discuss changing Roger Goodell’s role in disciplinary process

Resize Text
Comments 5

By Mark Maske September 4 at 2:44 PM
Tom Brady’s court case could have a lasting and significant impact on his position.

“There will certainly be discussion about that,” one owner said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic. The owner said he is “not sure where it will lead.”

Another person familiar with the league’s inner workings said Friday it is too soon to know whether enough owners favor such a change for the NFL to engage the players’ union in discussions about possible modifications to the disciplinary process. The players union has been pushing for a neutral arbitrator to hear appeals in matters of player discipline, replacing Goodell, who currently occupies that role.

“It will be interesting to see,” the person said.

A time table for such discussions among the owners remains unclear. Their next scheduled meeting is in October.

The NFL is appealing Thursday’s ruling by U.S. District Judge Richard M. Berman that lifted the four-game DeflateGate suspension of Brady, the New England Patriots quarterback. Goodell had upheld Brady’s suspension on appeal.

The collective bargaining agreement between the league and union gives Goodell the authority to hear and resolve appeals in player disciplinary cases involving the integrity of the sport, such as Brady’s, and in cases under the personal conduct policy. In recent months, the union has successfully challenged discipline imposed by the league under the personal conduct policy in cases involving Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy.

Eric Winston, the Cincinnati Bengals offensive lineman who is the president of the union, said in training camp that he cannot foresee players agreeing to another CBA without curbing Goodell’s authority to resolve appeals in disciplinary cases. The current labor deal runs through 2020.

Goodell said at an owners’ meeting last month that the owners want him to retain his power to hear appeals in player disciplinary cases. It is unclear if that remains true in the wake of Berman’s ruling Thursday.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fiasco was indeed the beginning of the end for Roger. Might take a few years, but unless he pulls off some miraculous recovery he is a dead man walking.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fiasco was indeed the beginning of the end for Roger. Might take a few years, but unless he pulls off some miraculous recovery he is a dead man walking.
but but but people like @DirtDirtDirt and @HammerDown say 'he makes them billions, they would never remove him!"

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure his hearing the appeals is ALWAYS a problem, but in the Brady case it was just a horrible idea that was apparent to everyone but him immediately. In order to hear the appeal he must have nothing at all to do with the case and no contact whatsoever with those involved in regards to the case. Anyone at all think that happened in the Brady case?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but but but people like @DirtDirtDirt and @HammerDown say 'he makes them billions, they would never remove him!"

I don't concern myself with their trolling. Both of the previous commissioners expanded the league and it's bottom line by leaps and bounds. Goodell hasn't done anything but fuck up one issue after another while sitting back and watching a several influential owners negotiate TV deals that generated incredible revenues.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure his hearing the appeals is ALWAYS a problem, but in the Brady case it was just a horrible idea that was apparent to everyone but him immediately. In order to hear the appeal he must have nothing at all to do with the case and no contact whatsoever with those involved in regards to the case. Anyone at all think that happened in the Brady case?
my favorite part...

kessler introduced 18 precedents where a judge overturned arbitration

the NFL's ACTUAL stance on those 18 precedents? (its there)

"well, those were by a neutral arbitrator. this wasnt, so those precedents dont apply."

no lie, its in the text

amazing

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No and it is now clear that the league office and their lead attorney edited what was supposed to be an independent report.

There is a reason why the Pash was not made available to Brady and the lawyers at the NFLPA at the appeal hearing(s). The conflict of interest is so over the top it would have killed the case right then and there.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this will of course go quietly...right fellas?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its time the league hires two real lawyers (one defense lawyer and one prosecution lawyer) to head a disciplinary board. Take all discipline issues off of the commissioners table.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did @Rock Strongo really just say "oh snap?"

Please tell me he didn't. :L

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't liked Goodell for a long time now... He runs the NFL like a dictatorship... I don't think any one man should have that much power in any business, OR country for that matter... We preach democracy, well let's have democracy in private businesses as well...

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't liked Goodell for a long time now... He runs the NFL like a dictatorship... I don't think any one man should have that much power in any business, OR country for that matter... We preach democracy, well let's have democracy in private businesses as well...

He's the commissioner because he makes everyone a lot of money. Period.

The owners aren't dumb. It's the dimwits who blame everything on Roger Goodell who don't have two brain cells to rub together, and not surprisingly most of those are proud Pats fans. :L

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The owners aren't dumb. It's the dimwits who blame everything on Roger Goodell who don't have two brain cells to rub together, and not surprisingly most of those are proud Pats fans. :L

It does come down to $ ... But still, Goodell has handled things pretty weak ..

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goodell come down looking like an idiot, but he is the owner's idiot. He is doing their will - and making $44million while looking like an idiot. I could blame the billionaire owner buffoons but maybe I should just blame us for making them rich?
Personally, I like to think of Irsay buying drugs and hookers because even with all the money - he is still a mess!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow brady is so good at football and life that he might actually fix the entire league. That it's quite an achievement. Another notch in his belt.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell had one arbitration that he did overturned in court, and another one that was done by his handpicked arbitrator overturned in court.

Given all we've heard about arbitration decisions rarely getting overturned, that may be the worst batting average in the history of arbitration.