• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oh My...

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*The offense sucks, expectations higher... that's in other threads...ad nauseam

We know that Trestman and company will/should be fired- I don't see how they can stay now.

Just saw this and thought it was amazing...

Bears vs these QB's: In 6 games
A. Rodgers (2 games)
R. Tannehill
T. Brady
M. Stafford
D. Brees

Totals: 158/203 77.8% 2013 yards 22 TD Zero Ints 144.1 rating

:wtf2:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a motherfucking, c unt-faced, whore-fucking disgrace.

I WILL NOT WATCH NEXT YEAR IF THE SAME STAFF RETURNS, AND I CARE NOT ABOUT THEIR FINANCIAL "WOES".

FUCK THIS TEAM.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emery should force the hire of Frazier or Singletary as DC, give Tresty one more year, then decide if to promote the DC or start all over. Otherwise we have to wait a whole year than replace the whole staff. I really wish he had just franchised the f-r, cause there are good QB prospects this year, the Jameass Winston, who is very good and role model citizen Mariotta, who could go Joey Harrington, lol. Anyway, there is no connection between players Emery gets and the coaching staff and production on the field. Complete mess, confirmed with all the penalties and 3rd and longs that other teams convert, 3rd and 1's that we fail, etc.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we are stuck with this crap for one more year, I wish that the McCaskey's would force a trade of all our picks for 2016 ones, so they can be saved for the new GM, and no more junk is added to the roster.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs a semester in a motivation class. I guess the excuse is that Trestman wants a team of leaders so there is not a need to get someone to motivate them.

by the way, if you have not heard the Martellus Bennet post game, find it. Absolute awesome analogy of stumbling around in a dark room that needs someone to turn on the switch. Some plays 8 out of 11 are on the same page, others 10/11 are on the same page, some plays nobody knows what they are supposed to do.

Seems like this offense needs to be dumbed down.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1475910_10152540016912283_2058149993966896926_n.jpg

Jay possibly in the wrong room yesterday after the game, there were only two local reporters there. Thought he would be excited about that. If that doesnt excite Jay, a win wont either.

C

cubzzzfanincali

What specific changes are you looking for this offseason for the defense? Which positions need the most upgrading? Priorities for you are?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still want the option to go 3-4. Bostic and Sharpton inside, Jones and McClellan outside for base defense.

Young might want his contract renegotiated. Ratliff and Paea are keepers, Paea might need to be transitioned or franchised to keep him and be too expensive. Ego and sutton can fill in though. I really think Sharpton can handle the middle in the 4-3, but this bullshit with the linebackers running away from the line of scrimmage needs to stop. 3 deep safeties.

Nickel package I want some CB that can bump and run. Its not a mystery why the team wanted to move Jennings to the nickel back, he cannot bump and run. Tilman and Fuller can. Tillman wont be back, so another cover corner is needed.

Nickel Defense I want to see something along these lines. Move the linebackers to the end of the line if there is a tight end. the second LB watches the back. Spacing based on how many receivers are out there.
Bottom line, I am tired of these receivers getting free releases off the line. They need to be hit in the mouth and thrown off stride to alter their timing routes, but no linebacker should be chasing a receiver to the middle deep zone. Urlacher was able to make the 30 yard run to cover the back middle of the field, no other linebacker on the planet was able to do that like him, let alone on our roster. The defense is always chasing. Start your third safety back there. Get a running start, blow the fucking receiver up when he dares to go over the middle. If no backs are in, you move the safety to the stacked receiver side and actually blits someone.

CB--------------E----------T----------T---------E-------------CB
---------------------LB--------------------LB---------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------S----------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------S----------------------------------------S---------------

Biggest difference between the great 85 bear defense was people were clearly afraid of them. a dozen qb's were knocked out of games, Can hardly get to them now.

I like the singletary or frasier edge to this as a coordinator, I also like overachievers to be involved, like hunter hillenmeyer, morrisey type players that were not as talented, but did the job. Those are the backers we have on this roster.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What specific changes are you looking for this offseason for the defense? Which positions need the most upgrading? Priorities for you are?

These are my thoughts and opinions- take em for what it's worth.
We have a decent DLine- NOT great- but decent, they played the run better this year, and there is a lot of money on that line already. I think the only Bear FA you bring back is Paea... and maybe Ratliff if you can get a decent price just because he's not on the field enough. You the rookies, Allen, Houston, Young.
Assuming we stay in a 4-3:

Move Bostic to WLB, Jones to SLB- #1 pick MLB. (I don't know who's out there yet) That would be a decent to good core going forward. Young and cheap for the next few years. (I would like to cut McClellin- but he's still cheap and we have so much more we need- his last year- move to backup MLB/special teams he can't do anything else)

We need at least 2 CB's and 1-2 Safeties in FA. This is where they spend some money- not much available but need more/better talent that the draft isn't going to provide as starter material. Facing GB/Det twice each year we have to be able to cover.

#2 pick: DB- CB/S
#3 pick: LB...
Rest of draft Oline, Oline, Future QB (don't think it's Fales...or use 2016 #1 pick on QB- with new coaching staff) RB, WR, 2nd TE...

I just don't think we can spend more on the DLine... Have to hit in the draft.

Thoughts?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you would do for DE in a 3-4... Allen isn't a 3-4 end, nor is Young (he would have to play OLB). Sutton is a complete waste in a 3-4, where would you put him at his size? He would need to gain weight and height and play end. Houston is fine at DE if he gains weight again, nearer 300.

Ratliff, Paea and Ferguson, if all three gained weight could play NT, but all three are playing around 280-290lbs. Usually a NT is big and fat 330lbs, I question if these three can work at NT.

We really do not have the right Dline guys to play a 3-4. Houston is the only player we have in the correct position if he gains weight and plays closer to 300.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching changes are one thing. But I don't see the passion.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the mccaskeys sell the team, the bears will never win a Super Bowl. The mccaskeys will never sell either. It's such a shame too. If we ever did stumble into a very good team, they would get injured on our sorry field because the mccaskeys would rather the city do a crappy job up keeping the field than actually paying for a quality field. It's a cheapskate family, with no other forms of income, who knows nothing about football, but since they have no other major income, they will not sell for a long long time. It's awful that George halas's masterpiece of a franchise had to fall into the hands of such inept ownership.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't find it anymore, but about 2-3 years ago one of the papers did a article about it.
The city spends/spent more money on real grass and upkeep than they would for Field turf.
The reason it wasn't switched wasn't money, it was BS "player safety" because someone thought it contributed to more knee injuries.

DaSuperfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the real #1 priority won't happen (selling the team to a real Football owner).

#1 priority should be to fire Ted Phillips - the man who hired Emery.
#2 should be to find Ted Phillips' replacement - someone with a lot of NFL experience so that he can fire Emery and his staff
#3 should be to find another GM
#4 should be to find another coach

C

cubzzzfanincali

Not sure what you would do for DE in a 3-4... Allen isn't a 3-4 end, nor is Young (he would have to play OLB). Sutton is a complete waste in a 3-4, where would you put him at his size? He would need to gain weight and height and play end. Houston is fine at DE if he gains weight again, nearer 300.

Ratliff, Paea and Ferguson, if all three gained weight could play NT, but all three are playing around 280-290lbs. Usually a NT is big and fat 330lbs, I question if these three can work at NT.

We really do not have the right Dline guys to play a 3-4. Houston is the only player we have in the correct position if he gains weight and plays closer to 300.

although the "you have to have a huge NT to play 3-4" isn't strictly true, since successful 3-4 have used 305 pounders, I don't think our specific guys are well suited to it. The main reason isn't their lack of size, it's that nobody we have on the defensive line - outside of Houston - is really all that great at holding the point of attack. Even Paea, who had a better season, was mostly playing one-gap when making his plays. I thought he looked bad when trying to hold down as an anchor. Masybe the rookies could adapt with a full offseason, but we have no way of knowing that from here.

There's no doubt that our LBs are better suited to a 3-4. None. Zero. But you have to ask the question...are these LBs really worth building your whole defense around? That's kind of the central question.

You know, I didn't notice this until now, and it is clear as day in hindsight, but the whole point of a 3-4 is to save some money on your defensive front 7. Given that the Bears wanted to spend free agency money on the offense, and get cornerbacks (the expensive defensive position outside of DE) via the draft (i.e. cheaply), it would have made absolutely completely obvious perfect sense to have simply made the decision at the beginning of last offseason to switch to a 3-4. Now...especially now....seeing it not working, it's like why the hell not? They still could have signed Houston, and Ratliff, but it would have changed the whole rest of the offseason, and probably put the defense on a better course. That's easy to say in hindsight obviously.

I'd say after sinking two higher draft picks into 4-3 guys, that's a little harder to justify. And we don't have the extra season to evaluate Shea in a 3-4 that would be ideal before figuring out what to do with him. I knew he was going to suck as a strongside linebacker, that always seemed a waste, this is precisely why we should have traded Briggs last offseason and not tried to milk it another year. Too late now.

The only upside I see to this whole season was giving a lot of young guys experience on the defense. Since that cost has been paid, seems we have to at least try them out a little more. So I don't see a switch to a 3-4 in this team's immediate future.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest difference in the 3-4 nose tackle is the simple fact that they are there to tie up the center and one of the guards, so people consider the prototype fat guy. Guys like Ego and Sutton are quicker and still need to be tied up. Its the difference of playing a gap or playing over the center. The other advantage you have is the center looking up to call line blocking changes can see everything when there is a gap over him, so putting someone over top can actually block him from seeing what is happening with blitzers and linebackers once he puts his hand on the ball.

Its not a glory position, you are not gonna get alot of tackles, its work in the trenches that makes the team better by having one guard not getting to a linebacker.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is going to be the easier unit to fix in my opinion because we have every option in the world. It stunk so bad, we could afford to start from scratch. Get a defensive minded HC, a cracker jack DC, pour our draft/FA resources into it, change to a 3-4, or a wide gap 4-3... whatever. Personally, I like a 3-4 because I believe a defense can be more unpredictable from play to play in one... but I would find tape of every Packer loss or bad offensive performance from the Packers over the past three years and let that be my guide.

Offense is going to be tougher because we have fewer options. Jay Cutler is the qb. Are we giving him another playbook or did we want to bring in an offense that not only Jay, but all of the other veterans on the offense will have a smoother transition to? Do we elevate Matt Cavanaugh to OC for a year? Do we get another coordinator or an offensive minded HC who favors a west coast offense? Are we considering Kubiak or Shanahan who have had success with Cutler as the HC? It sucks, but I just think on offense we have less freedom unless we are prepared to push the window back a couple of years.

C

cubzzzfanincali

but I would find tape of every Packer loss or bad offensive performance from the Packers over the past three years and let that be my guide.

well, for what it's worth, three of the four Packer losses were to 4-3 base defenses, and the one 3-4 team they lost to mostly beat them by putting up major amounts of points (Nola, 44 points).