• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll know in a week or 2 if Lombardi has a trade partner for Brown. If he does, then as mentioned above, Lucic would more or less get the $$$ (and maybe term) left on the Brown contract.

I don't think he has a trading partner, which is why he was stripped of the C (shopped under the guise of "he's a 2 time Cup winning Captain") - it begins the separation process and is a clear indication Brown is no longer considered a key member of the Kings moving forward. I could be completely wrong (see Joe Thornton for example) but that's my gut feeling.

That said, I think he is still being actively shopped and will continue to be and who knows, stranger things have happened. The Cup Finals are here, teams are doing their evaluations and maybe a close-to-contender or about to be a PO team sees something they need and Brown fits the bill.

I was thinking connections yesterday and one that I missed but remembered was Bruce Boudreau. He was Brown's coach in 2004-05 in the AHL in Manchester and Brown credits that season the biggest leap regarding preparation to becoming an NHL regular in 2005-06.

He cited Boudreau's liberal offensive style, be creative with the puck and once you cross the blue line use your skill and speed but also that he needed to be aware on the defensive side of things. Brown enjoyed playing for him and Boudreau has said he enjoyed coaching Brown.

Boudreau is now in Minnnesota, and they have kind of stalled in terms of taking that next step, and they have some veterans in Koivu, Parise, Suter, Pominville, etc. but maybe Dumbo can sell Brown's experience winning 2 Cups and talk to Fletcher. It's also closer to home in NY than LA is, if that is important to Brown.

They don't have a lot of cap space, about $8 million, but just something to consider. They would need to move some pieces to make it happen comfortably.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see how moving Brown, resigning Lucic and signing a top 4 guy puts the Kings into the convo for legitimate contender again, so for what that's worth, it should be on the table to make that happen. However, I can't see any scenario where a 27 year old Lucic signs for anything less than $6 -$6.5 mil/year. I just can't see that, and for that reason, I would rather not sign him. Power Forwards just fall off the map at this age because that style is absolutely unsustainable for the long term.

I might be in the minority, but I think there is plenty of desire for Dustin Brown around to league, especially in those Canadian cities. I happened to watch the Hockey Night in Canada feed for Game 3 (When Brown made the hit to free up the Pearson game winner in SJ) and the announcers were in love with Brown. They said that his hit was exactly why you can't judge a guy based on the scoring stats alone and that that type of character was the reason LA has won 2 cups.

The real issue is whether or not Dean Lombardi wants to part ways with Brown.

And can anyone explain the cap not going up?!?! It's been rumored to be going up for 3-4 years, and player salaries have increased based on that assumption, and yet the cap has remained stagnant. It doesn't make any sense. It's already messing with the team, but it will be impossible to keep anyone when Doughty's contract comes up in 2 years. It'll be Kane/Toews vs Kopitar/Doughty on a little 2v2.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since it's an offseason thread I would like to ask about Trevor Lewis and Luke Schenn. I sincerely like Lewis and he's actually one of those really underrated players that were a foundation of LA's style (Honestly one of my favorite players). He's got incredible speed (to pair with the worst hands in the league) that is great for the forecheck and PK. There is zero talk, so are we to assume he is gone for sure?

As for Luke Schenn, with the signing of McNabb, I don't think it'll be fair to the league to have that much speed on the backend. With Scuderi/Greene/McNabb back there already, if you add in Schenn, I could see Bettman probably having to step in to make it more fair.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see how moving Brown, resigning Lucic and signing a top 4 guy puts the Kings into the convo for legitimate contender again, so for what that's worth, it should be on the table to make that happen. However, I can't see any scenario where a 27 year old Lucic signs for anything less than $6 -$6.5 mil/year. I just can't see that, and for that reason, I would rather not sign him. Power Forwards just fall off the map at this age because that style is absolutely unsustainable for the long term.

Great points, power forwards have short careers in the NHL in general because of the style of play. Thus why I was thinking a 5 year deal, which puts him at age 32. I would assume we will see him start to decline a bit around 30, which makes the deal more palatable knowing he is only on the books for 2 more years. And if he is rapidly declining by then, he could be shopped with 2 years on his deal making him a little more attractive to teams not being a rental.

The money I am OK with, $6 million is about the going rate for T6 forwards. Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik are near or north of that as are other T6s in the league. It's the term I worry about, I feel 6 is too long and puts the Kings in a bind in terms of flexibility. During this hypothetical contract guys like Toffoli and Pearson (if he is here) will require larger contracts as well coming off these recent bridge deals.

If Lucic wants to stay, I think the offer I proposed is fair - 5 years/$27.5 to $28.75 million. He gives a little in terms of the year, the Kings give a little in terms of more money. If a deal cannot be done, I completely agree, use that money and get a legitimate T3 defender and shore up the forwards as best as possible.

I like Lucic and what he brings but won't be crying too much if he leaves.

I might be in the minority, but I think there is plenty of desire for Dustin Brown around to league, especially in those Canadian cities. I happened to watch the Hockey Night in Canada feed for Game 3 (When Brown made the hit to free up the Pearson game winner in SJ) and the announcers were in love with Brown. They said that his hit was exactly why you can't judge a guy based on the scoring stats alone and that that type of character was the reason LA has won 2 cups.

The problem is those are the only plays those guys see. They don't watch LA Kings hockey 7-8 months out of the year like we do which is exactly why he has this perceived notion around the league of being this top end, impact player who wears the C. We do and have a much better pulse on the Kings and their players.

I love that play, I've mentioned it, but look back and see how often has Brown tilted games in LA's favor the last 3-4 years? It's not much. That is the Dustin Brown he has become but if those crazy Canucks are salivating over him for that one play and think that is who he is game in and game out, by all means sell him while you can.

The real issue is whether or not Dean Lombardi wants to part ways with Brown

Pretty sure that is a yes based on the trade rumors over the years, the recent events and his salary.

And can anyone explain the cap not going up?!?! It's been rumored to be going up for 3-4 years, and player salaries have increased based on that assumption, and yet the cap has remained stagnant. It doesn't make any sense. It's already messing with the team, but it will be impossible to keep anyone when Doughty's contract comes up in 2 years. It'll be Kane/Toews vs Kopitar/Doughty on a little 2v2.

The players are rumored to not approve this year's escalator, which hurts the earnings because of the escrow account. I haven't heard it's concrete, but that is the way it is looking which stinks because LA needs more cap space right now.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since it's an offseason thread I would like to ask about Trevor Lewis and Luke Schenn. I sincerely like Lewis and he's actually one of those really underrated players that were a foundation of LA's style (Honestly one of my favorite players). He's got incredible speed (to pair with the worst hands in the league) that is great for the forecheck and PK. There is zero talk, so are we to assume he is gone for sure?

I've heard grumblings that Lewis may be leaving, which hurts the B6 even more than it already has with the loss of guys like Stoll and Richards. He has grown on me over the years, he really is a team player and would do anything necessary for the team. He's won the Unsung Hero Award for 5 years straight now for a reason.

Shore is smart and does a decent enough job defensively, but offensively he is worse than Lewis. Andreoff also is inexperienced but looks promising, more than Shore, and then you have the Nolans and what nots of the world. Far cry from the B6 during the 2012 and 2014 runs, not enough experience and way too much youth. A veteran to turn to would be nice, and that would be Lewis, but there's those damn finances again. A goood Cup team has a B6 that is solid and disrupts the opposing team but also can chip in with some goals now and again. The Kings currently do not have that.

As for Luke Schenn, with the signing of McNabb, I don't think it'll be fair to the league to have that much speed on the backend. With Scuderi/Greene/McNabb back there already, if you add in Schenn, I could see Bettman probably having to step in to make it more fair.

Melt the ice, level the playing field so the fast guys can't move.

=)~~

Agree the foot speed isn't great for those guys, but I think Schenn did a good job in his third pairing role. Would like to see him back if Greene is not here, but if he is then I'm OK with Schenn walking especially because Scuderi is still here for 1 more year.

I think two heavy foot defenders is more than enough for the 6 man rotation.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russia is insisting on keeping Voynov on the roster. Comparing him to Heatley.

Russia keeping Voynov on World Cup roster, compare defenseman to Heatley | The Hockey News

That has to be one of the dumbest comparisons ever. Not because of the incidents - Heatley killing his teammate was bad - but simply from an apples to apples legality comparison.

Heatley + Voynov: - both committed crimes, both went through the legal system here in the US, both were found guilty of their crimes.
Heatley only: sentenced to 3 years probation and all kinds of court ordered ramifications after being found guilty.
Voynoy only: not sentenced, self deported after being found guilty.

Heatley however was never suspended by the NHL, whereas Voynov was and remain suspended. No suspension = eligible to play in tournaments and other events. The key is the suspension levied by the NHL and subsequently by the LA Kings.

I'm talking just from a common sense standpoint, you're dealing with two different legal cases. That is Law 101 and how the two can be compared no matter how heinous the crimes is laughable.

I guess law schools in Russia suck balls. I'm preparing for the LSAT in Sept and Pucky is going to law school, at my age (41) it's almost impossible to be any type of attorney but I guess I will always have a job in Russia if they are this bad, I'll be a big name like Cochran or Alred or whoever else.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Puck, I've been busy but want to reply to a lot of your points. Thanks for the responses.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not surprised, he probably wants to win with his career winding down and the BJs aren't close to winning.

I don't think the Kings should take a flyer on him. Ten years ago, sure but he's 34 and still has 3 more years on a 6 year/$28.5 million deal ($4.75 million AAV). That contract is almost identical to Gaborik's, they are the same age and aren't going to get any better. I'm almost positive Gaborik is being shopped as well, so I can't see a lateral move like this happening.

Plus it would need to be a trade, so the Kings would have to lose more assets to acquire him most likely. Better off looking at Free Agency and not losing anything but cash.

If the Kings are going to make a trade, I would hope it is for a young T3 defender more than anything.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about a trade of Brown for Hartnell? I'm sure Kings would have to eat some salary, but Hartnell would be a huge offensive upgrade over Brown. BJ's love to trade their former Flyers to the Kings anyways.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about a trade of Brown for Hartnell? I'm sure Kings would have to eat some salary, but Hartnell would be a huge offensive upgrade over Brown. BJ's love to trade their former Flyers to the Kings anyways.

Not a bad idea, the dollars would need to work as you mentioned but I didn't consider trading Brown (duh, right).

Hartnell is 4 years older than Brown, but carries 3 less years on his contract and makes less. Brown's upside is he is 4 years younger, two time Cup winner and comes from a winning organization. The hinge would be the contract, he has 6 years left and makes way more money.

Contract details (Years Left/Cash/AAV)
Hartnell - 3 years/$12 million/$4.75 million
Brown - 6 years/$32.5 million/$5.875 million

The dollar gap is huge, $20.5 million. I have no idea what kind of retention would be required but I would assume it's at the max of 50%, which means the Kings have $10.25 million of dead cap space for 6 more years, or $1.708 million per year.

More palatable than a straight up buyout however.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I was hearing that the Kings were holding on 3 years $6M/year. Money is fine as you said Puck but Looch wants a long term deal. I don't see him signing in LA which means we can prob allocate the money to either Lewis or Schenn. The Kings would still need someone up on that top pair with Drew.